Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,208,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I always think that is an absolutely ridiculous thing to say to a child- when telling them about an impending divorce or anything. Why for one nanosecond would a child even think that it WAS their fault? Now that seed has been planted.......at 13....to live with for the rest of her life.
Do you know much about child psychology? Kids have a VERY different way of looking at the world. They pick up bits and pieces of conversation, attitudes etc and gestate them in their immature brains. They often come to an erroneous conclusion because of their lack of experience and maturity. It is VERY common for kids to think any number of things are their fault because children are naturally self absorbed. And I don't mean that in a bad way. Its just part of the maturation of human beings.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,208,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Other articles I read state that this sister who is making statements now hasn't actually spoken to Kate in 12 years.
Yes and those other "family members" may very well have been the enablers Reta was talking about. Families with members who have mental health and/or addiction issues often close ranks when this stuff happens. They want to pretend their family is totally normal and anyone who tries to impede on that fantasy is accused of being a liar, dramatic etc.

I'd take those sources' claims with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 AM

88,252 posts, read 84,175,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, ignorance...

Why the difference between ok to suicide for physical reasons but not ok for mental reasons...?
You obviously have no knowledge of mental illness.

BTW, RW was suffering from depression too...
Mental illness IS a physical illness. It is in the brain, which is part of the body.

(I know YOU know that, gbh.)

Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 AM

19,449 posts, read 12,087,689 times
The sister and Kate's husband agree she had significant problems. But the sister probably should not have said anything publicly before Andy did. He should have been the first one to make a statement.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:07 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,691,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, ignorance...

Why the difference between ok to suicide for physical reasons but not ok for mental reasons...?
You obviously have no knowledge of mental illness.

BTW, RW was suffering from depression too...
Obviously......because I admitted it!

The point I was trying to make is that it makes sense to me that someone who facing a debilitating new physical ailement would get into that frame of mind. Where I get confused is that someone who knowingly has this issue, knowingly medicates for it suddenly after living relatively normal with it for 55 years makes the ultimate decision.

It isnt a bad thing to be curious about it. I mean since I obviously have no knowledge.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,691,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
If you don't understand it ... it might likely be because you don't have or are close to anyone with bi-polar disorder.

I think self awareness is key to surviving with these types of mental health disorders.
And I think that's just it. I dont have anyone in my world (personally or professionally) that I am aware of with any kind of mental disorder of any kind. I also tend to be very inquisitive. If something happens I want to understand why it happened. This is one of those things where the why is cloudy which just creates more questions

Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,430,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
And I think that's just it. I dont have anyone in my world (personally or professionally) that I am aware of with any kind of mental disorder of any kind. I also tend to be very inquisitive. If something happens I want to understand why it happened. This is one of those things where the why is cloudy which just creates more questions
Odds are you know some people with mental illness. There’s such a stigma around it people don’t like to talk about it.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 AM

16,383 posts, read 12,375,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Imagine what it's like for the person living with it.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:21 AM

19,449 posts, read 12,087,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Odds are you know some people with mental illness. There’s such a stigma around it people don’t like to talk about it.
That seems wrong. So many people are on medications for depression or anxiety and most or us have known someone with bipolar disorder or some type of mental illness. There shouldn't be a stigma anymore.

This will not affect my feelings about her brand. She was only human, she didn't have to be perfect to design cool bags and accessories.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,255,174 times
15+ years ago I watched my daughter battle through 3 years of depression. She attempted 3 times, was in and out of hospitals and halfway houses, and my life had a black cloud hanging over it.

I learned a lot about depression. I learned that the medical profession has so much still to learn. I believe the focus should be mental health with regards to gun control, not the guns. I believe our government should push hard for research funding in that area. Cancer has been funded for a long time, yet mental illness with its associated stigmas is pushed down the ladder of importance, something I simply don't understand. Pharmaceuticals are patches that sometimes have worse side effects than the mental illness they are trying to control.

I learned with my daughters experience, suicide risk (celebrity or not) is hidden in all of us. It's nearly impossible at this point to figure out what causes a person to lose control and let depression take over. When I hear people I know say that even though their lives are going through a rough patch that they are OK, I always wonder. I bet most people who have committed suicide said that in their past. I have had many rough patches in my own life and say that because I believe I have good control and that losing it isn't an option for me (organically), yet I have no idea what's lurking in my physiology.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 06-07-2018 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty