Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Oh wow this topic is hawt, hawt, hawt! (I'm a man.)

I'm pretty sure style is regional. We in So. California are known for being very casual.

The blue jeans & t-shirt look has been popular in So. California for decades or more, still popular today. Women dress it up with a blouse rather than t-shirt, and fancy up their shoes or boots. And accessorize of course.

Men spend their time looking at women's chests so I wouldn't know anything about hair styles. J/K, I'm a man and not an authority on women's hair styles, most of we men prefer long hair. We actually do look at women's faces. Smart men gaze into women's eyes.

A few nights back I was on Amazon curious about henna tattoes and following links led me to unicorn snot (makeup for raves) to rave pants or panties... and I finally had to switch to "hot underwear for men" to cool off. (That category was pretty funny!) I wouldn't mind if we discussed undergarments since that too is part of style.

I found it interesting that bell bottoms were back... for a while. With a different name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I had blocked out the slip dresses with t-shirts! Such a hideous look, particularly for those of us that are top-heavy.
I don’t even know shy I tried to wear them. They did not fit me lol. I went through puberty early and was busty and hippy.

Quote:
Those sheer blouses were big at my junior high school until they were banned. I remember teachers safety pinning the crop tops worn underneath to the waist of students’ mom jeans.

The cut off shorts were worn over shredded black tights in San Diego, and always with big clunky Doc Martin shoes and dark burgundy lipstick.
I wore the sheer hops with my leotard.

And I remember the shorts and tights look. That was too alternative for me.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

It was very Angela Chase, though.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:05 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don’t even know shy I tried to wear them. They did not fit me lol. I went through puberty early and was busty and hippy.

I can relate to that! We wore them because we were being fashion victims. Part of maturity is learning to only wear what looks good on you, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It was very Angela Chase, though.
My mom loved that show. Maybe she thought it helped her understand me.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
I am talking about women that would be in their teens/20s in the early 90s. And a few additional questions: 1. Far as clothing goes how different would you say women in the same age group compare to today?

2. I realize women have always been under pressure to look young and physically attractive, would you say there was still a lot of women trying to get away with wearing the shortest/revealing attire? Like teen girls/20-something women trying to show off as much cleavage and shortest skirts/shorts/outfits as possible?
The more things change ... the more the stay the same.

This was the junkie sheik error.
All my friends had eating disorders ....

And walking around as little as possible as a teen in those days were still a thing.
Young girls are testing their sexuality at that age.

I spend most of that decade getting dressed up just to turn head.

The CFM boots were still consider provocative at that time. Now it is the "norm".

I had to wear a uniform to school... but most of us were wearing our Catholic School uniforms more like Britney Spears and the "Hit me Baby One More Time Video".

At that age. I was wearing strappy healed shoes, short ripped jeans shorts ( DYI), a black V-neck mid drift top... chest out ... and cruising for around hoping to catch the attention of prince charming.

It took until my early 20s to realize that prince charming can't find you because when you dress like that you get surrounded by the looser which are blocking his view .

Teenagers don't dress all that much more differently now.

You have ones that are a bit more risky with conveying their sexuality and ones that are a lot more tom boyish.

That decade is about experimenting with your look and having fun.

Mod cut: Copyrighted images.

The key to not getting you parents to freak out was always leave the house with a lot shirt which you could later take off and tie around your waste LOL!!!

I have a pre-teen already trying to pull those tricks.... as I told her "I evented that trick. Go change your clothes you are not going to the beach!".

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-12-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 10:37 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yes ... some.

There are attention hogs in every decade.

But for the most part, no, everyday young girls were not dressed like hoes. Most wore stuff like this:

I think that was the first season of 90210 to get the parents to buy in to letting the kids watch the show.... then they got back to reality ...

I think now the term for dressing like a hoe is "comfortable with your sexuality "!

Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
In the 90s, I was a 20-something, working in software in Seattle, when grunge began. Having a lot of musician friends, it was the funnest time of my life. We could wear cut offs with Doc Martens to work, as it was the first casual office place I'd ever worked. Hair was everything from carry-over, 80s, big hair to 60s straight to dreads on white boys in bands. Platinum, non-conditioned hair was all the rage, too, for boys & girls.

From the pics posted, I don't recall all the bare stomachs & girls wearing mere bras... that was seen more with bands or celebs, in my experience. But, I loved baby doll dresses with Docs, short, black, lycra skirts with black nylons & an anything is accepted spirit, which was probably due more to where I lived at the time... because when I left Seattle in '94 & moved to SoCal, the "heroin chic" grunge look was a little too grungy there. It was more CA casual... short, strappy dresses in light colors with heels or sandals & maybe a leather jacket at night... instead of lots of dark eyeliner & red lips in Seattle, the sunkissed bronzy look was more popular in the OC.

But, what I have noticed is how much bodies have changed since then. Girls were far thinner & fitter back then. I didn't have 20-30 yr old friends who were out of shape or who didn't walk miles/day, to & from work, by the beach, around town. And, if anyone did hit a pudgy time for a bit, they knew how to dress to less accentuate it. Now, I see a lot of big girls (boys, too) & no desire to hide stomach rolls & muffin tops, over-stuffed cleavage in tiny tops & back fat. They'll wear whatever style is out there & just squeeze into it. Although, body type preferences have changed, too. In the 90s, stick thin models were the aspiration for younger girls or boys... now, it's thick bodies & implants have shifted from chest to butt. Different times.

I'm never nostalgic... but, if I had a moment in time when I did think about the good ol' days, as far as fashion & music, it would be back to the 90s. The one sad side effect is so many are now gone from heroin. It wasn't a cultivated look, it was a lifestyle for many, especially being in Seattle at that time... bands I used to listen to, friends... many are long gone. Glad I was never the curious type with any sort of drug... 1 microbrew is my limit, unless I'm driving & then it's zero... & even sometimes 1 zones me out.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
I am talking about women that would be in their teens/20s in the early 90s. And a few additional questions: 1. Far as clothing goes how different would you say women in the same age group compare to today?
I was in high school and college throughout the whole of the 90s.

What is really funny is that I'm in a graduate program now, and the youngest people in my program (those who are 22-23 and just completed undergrad) are in many regards wearing what I wore as an undergrad in the 1990s. The woman who sat next to me in class last night, who is midtwenties, was wearing something I could have worn/did wear as a college freshman in 1995...cut-off high-waisted "mom" jean shorts, an unbuttoned flannel over a tank, Birkenstock sandals, a fabric scrunchie holding her ponytail, and big, roundish, owl-like wire-rim glasses identical to the ones I owned then.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
From looking at baby pictures, my mom (22-25) wore leggings/stirrup pants...higher wasted jeans/shorts...loose t-shirts, sundresses, some short overalls..etc. Lots of spaghetti straps (on dresses and tops).

I also used a lot of my mom's older clothes for "dress-up" as a kid, so some pieces stick out in my mind. She had a black sundress with sunflowers on it that I always loved.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
I was in my twenties during the 1990's. The biggest change from today is nude stockings. Everyone wore nude stocking to work. I don't remember anyone wearing colored stockings either. Just nude, transparent stocking. Going bare legged to work seems so odd to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty