Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Why not? I'll just take a trip up to my master closet...

dark blue
bleached blue
tan
dark brown
black
medium blue
dark blue
black again
medium blue
slightly darker blue
black again
medium light blue

That's my full inventory of jeans. Hmmm... A dozen pairs of jeans, some of them not even hemmed yet.

I wear jeans a lot. I don't work any more so nix the dress slacks.

You know if you buy one pair of jeans and wear them every day they last maybe 6 months? If you buy 12 pairs and alternate use they would last 6 years.

It doesn't cost any more to own a bunch of jeans (or any clothing), you just have a bigger selection. You have greater opportunities to color coordinate.

Can you wear blue jeans in NYC?
Thanks for the tour. That's what I was wondering: "does he really mean colored jeans, or does he mean different shades of denim, plus black"? I thought you meant, like women's jeans: green, teal, aqua/turquoise, white, purple...

Just clarifying. . I was thinking, that if you went around in green jeans, that would be very creative, and outside-the-box. I guess teal wouldn't be too wild for a guy. Teal is a dark color, that could work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 12:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I always look like a tourist in NYC - I like pattterns.

That being said, I had no issues being harrassed. It was much less annoying than at home honestly. But definitely remember your walking shoes!

Old 06-10-2018, 12:08 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This thread is so rich. Thank you to all who have provided so much info . . . I envy some of you petite elders - so much easier to look chic when you are tiny.

I will savor each response and check out the links.

I do have a question about those "scammers" - some people warned against looking touristy to avoid them - do they attack you (someone said something about an alley - do they drag you into allies?). Do you have to take special precautions with those purses that cross over your body to avoid pick-pocketers? Are there pick-pockets? The n'er do wells in my neck of the woods mostly mind their own business. How big of a problem is this?
No, you're not going to be scammed unless you are extremely naive. Most tourists are not idiots these days or so gullible. Just use common sense as you would anywhere where you visit.

These days, most people who live in NYC were probably originally from somewhere else. It's just that if you go to designated tourist areas, then you might be approached a lot, offers for tickets, bus tours, etc. They are not necessarily a scam, just can be annoying. Usually it's near the Times Square Theater District, Grand Central and Penn Stations, near the ferry for the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, and so on. In that case, it really doesn't matter what you wear because there will be lots of people from all over the world wearing whatever they like.

Use common sense. I will warn you that the people dressed up in costumes in the Time Square Area are not always that nice. There have been incidents where they have scammed or conned or tried to "swindle" some tourists. Their faces are under a costume so they can't be easily identified. It's been a problem for some time and there have been proposals for creating new regulations that will limit their presence or require them to have some sort of license. You will also see a lot of homeless and beggars as you would in many American cities these days.

You will also see many women wearing saris, burkas, hijabis, snoods, and all kinds of religious dress. They are New Yorkers too.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Anything else that I got wrong? LOL I am from the UES, but perhaps I was skewed more mature than the OP actually may be. Remember, she's not coming to work, so the black, black, black is true for work, but color is allowed, at least where I tend to go, especially for someone on vacation. I mentioned navy because it's okay not to wear black.

A tourist can wear black from head to toe and still get approached by the ticket salespeople and such, since the attitude and way one carries oneself is more important sometimes. My girlfriend has never been hassled, and she's from California.
bmwguydc,I wish to apologize to you for my snarkiness. I didn't mean to be insulting. You have an uppereastside perspective. From my travels south and in the interior parts of the country, I've found that ladies who are not spring chickens and have never visited NYC before have the perception that women parade around Manhattan dressed like Audrey Hepburn or "Carrie" from TV and movies. I just wanted the OP to know that she is not obligated to wear designer clothes or formal wear because otherwise, she would stand out. If she already has clothing with designer labels and wants to bring them for her trip, that's fine. But she should not feel like she has to go out and spend a lot of money on clothing just for this trip. She should dress for the weather and comfort so that she does not spend her vacation cold, hot, wet, or have aching feet. It's true that New York women, like Europeans, do wear a lot of black, but we don't dress exclusively in black. Sandals don't take up a lot of space in luggage and if she wants to bring them, that's fine too, but be prepared that she may not get to wear them. She should also bring along a pair of closed walking shoes or sneakers and/or boots. Really, a lot of ladies here wear no-name brands of clothing, both for formal or casual wear. And of course, the OP will see NYC ladies wearing jeans with designer names or from Target. You just might not be able to wear jeans to certain restaurants or clubs, but something tells me that she isn't going clubbing. Just enjoy the trip and be safe.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Lovehound, I'm not sure if you were joking, but please be careful about being too confrontational. It's not safe. It's also not always safe "to stare someone down." We don't usually make a lot of eye contact with strangers.

I've been to LA numerous times to visit family and I've found rudeness and impatience in both places. Maybe more "attitude" in New York than LA.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Black it is for a basic color, but, as someone else mentioned, don't put too much worry into it, dress comfortably, others, but the very shallow really going to be concerned with your choices, most have too much on their mind trying to get from point A to B C and D to think about you. It's NY, everyone fits in. Well everyone except the mother and daughter wearing batching cotton candy colors.

In the daytime I've even worn white shorts, during the summer, with a nice top. I don't remember the color top wore with the shorts. I was headed to a concert in Prospect Park, I probably had on white Keds. If you want something simple for restaurants a basic black dress that you could dress up or down would be nice or black slacks if you prefer. But, the black, black, black can get as passe as anything else, people in NY wear color, maybe not pastels so much, but, you will see people wear other than black as for some white is the new black, though black will still be worn often. Denim is as big in NY as it is anywhere else. I don't know where all these people visit live and visit, also, not all places in NY are filthy, but, no where would I do barefoot even outside of NY.
OMG OMG OMG Rosa! Your post was awesome!!! Thank you so much!!!

Your post worked for me on so many levels! I'm a guy and it helped me out a lot on what men wear!

For example, a dude in the first video was wearing MY FEDORA (black) but tipped back, black jeans, black shoes of some type, white dress shirt hanging out. He looked so cool and at ease!

Second video, one of the main characters was wearing a ... white t-shirt? ... tan fedora of some sort, blue jeans, cuffs rolled up, what looked like mountaineering boots or work boots (maybe lace up). My riding boots I covet would work there, I've seen still pics of the blue jeans rolled up look and it didn't quite click with me, but now I've seen the video it clicks!

And then, wow awesome background music! I am for sure going to dig up albums by Odesza, her sound is so cool! Also by The 1975 (third video?). Yes I SoundHounded it!

And I'm just so excited about seeing NYC for my first time! I *never* wanted to go there, not ever, but now I have a connection: my GF lived there and her daughter still lives in NYC, and we are going there maybe September! And best of all, I'll have as my guide my GF who already knows all the good places!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for the tour. That's what I was wondering: "does he really mean colored jeans, or does he mean different shades of denim, plus black"? I thought you meant, like women's jeans: green, teal, aqua/turquoise, white, purple...

Just clarifying. . I was thinking, that if you went around in green jeans, that would be very creative, and outside-the-box. I guess teal wouldn't be too wild for a guy. Teal is a dark color, that could work...
Thanks for the read! Actually I have a man style question I'll appreciate an answer or comments on.

Yes I know this is far out but I think it would work, especially because I am secure in my masculinity and self confidence. All I care is if women would like it, I could care less if other men like it or not or think I'm gay.

Okay I noticed that pink and black go together well. On a recent date I wore a pink short sleeve button up pocket shirt, black t-shirt underneath (just shows at throat) and black jeans. That look totally works.

I thought, pink goes with back, why not turn it upside down? Pink jeans, black cowboy boots, black t-shirt, maybe my black fedora. (No I don't have a pink fedora thank you very much!)

But what do you think? Could a man get away wearing pink jeans and a black dress shirt, black cowboy boots? Please people don't ridicule me. I haven't bought any pink jeans, I was just wondering if the combo would work, and wouldn't look "off."

I am looking for my own fashion look, I intend to be a bit outside the norm, but I don't want people pointing at me. But yes, I am sure that pink jeans on a man is outside-the-box.

And no I wouldn't wear skinny jeans and tuck them into my boots. Only girls tuck their jeans into their boots! And men don't wear jeans tucked in their boots. Not unless there is a real rodeo and the man is next up to ride a bronco or steer!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Use common sense. I will warn you that the people dressed up in costumes in the Time Square Area are not always that nice. There have been incidents where they have scammed or conned or tried to "swindle" some tourists. T
Adding to that -- there are fake monks dressed in orange that approach mainly tourists for "donations" that go directly into their scamming pockets.

Here is an article about them.

New York tourists scammed by fake Buddhist monks in orange robes | Daily Mail Online

And btw, that photo in the article will show you that pretty much any type of outfit can be seen on the streets of NY!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
No, you're not going to be scammed unless you are extremely naive. Most tourists are not idiots these days or so gullible. Just use common sense as you would anywhere where you visit.
I am certainly quite the opposite of naive, I've seen a lot of sh.... go down in my years, I am a cynical paranoid at times, and I like it that way when I am in public in any uncertain situation.

I don't usually need to go to full "spidey" mode, but I always do this in downtown LA (we have our street crazies too!). This is called situational awareness. Whatever you are doing, you always monitor the big situation around you INCLUDING what is happening behind you! Here is how to do that. Whether you are walking or standing, you occasionally glance to the side and take in everything especially incoming, then you turn the other way and do the same. Turn far enough that you can slant your eyes askance (obliquely). If you do this right your left oblique overlaps your right oblique and you can catch a full 360 view around you. Repeat as necessary, focus on incoming, and do it often enough that only somebody running can have any chance of getting you blind. Do whatever you are doing but maintain situational awareness this way and nobody will ever sneak up on you, maybe pick your pocket or razor your handbag strap. I know this sounds crazy but it is better to appear crazy than to be a victim. And if you do this right nobody even notices what you are doing.

Also steer clear of people lying on the street. If they say anything pretend you didn't hear it. They won't get up unless you pay some attention. They are probably just schizo while lying.

And finally, this works in LA, hope it works in NYC too: If somebody starts paying me unwanted attention, I just say in an assertive voice, "Get the HELL away from me!!!" That works in DTLA.

Quote:
Use common sense. I will warn you that the people dressed up in costumes in the Time Square Area are not always that nice. There have been incidents where they have scammed or conned or tried to "swindle" some tourists. Their faces are under a costume so they can't be easily identified. It's been a problem for some time and there have been proposals for creating new regulations that will limit their presence or require them to have some sort of license. You will also see a lot of homeless and beggars as you would in many American cities these days.
For sure. They could probably rob a bank in that getup. And shoot, I don't want any pictures of street people. Nor do I want a picture of me standing next to one! Ew! Ew! Ew!

Quote:
You will also see many women wearing saris, burkas, hijabis, snoods, and all kinds of religious dress. They are New Yorkers too.
Oh I so love that! I am really excited to see all the cultural mixes!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Lovehound, I'm not sure if you were joking, but please be careful about being too confrontational. It's not safe. It's also not always safe "to stare someone down." We don't usually make a lot of eye contact with strangers.

I've been to LA numerous times to visit family and I've found rudeness and impatience in both places. Maybe more "attitude" in New York than LA.
Oh no! OMG no!!!

It's like that in LA too and especially on the freeways! DO NOT look in people's eyes. That is just animal sense. You staring somebody in their eyes invites confrontation!

You just mind your own business and look in somebody's eyes only if it is assured that it is a friendly interaction.

With other people you are just movin' on, movin' on, nothing to look at here.

In Los Angeles and in a freeway encounter, never look at the other driver, DO NOT make hand gestures, DO NOT roll down your window (which is a defense of a sort) and DO NOT get involved in any maneuvering. Instead, you slow down and let the hothead have his accident ahead of you on the freeway. Worst case is that hothead is packing a hot gun and he's going to shoot you. This may not make national news but we in LA have the occasional spate of shot dead while driving. They often happen in late hours, and all the police finds is a person shot dead in a crashed car and no witnesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty