Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 02:34 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,144,056 times

Advertisements

I agree that a whole outfit is usually a bit too boxy and matronly but individual pieces can work.

But personally, I find the clothing a bit overpriced for what it is, and only buy if I find in a discount store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 04:32 PM

765 posts, read 471,954 times
it's definitely a statement of form meeting functionality, it's the Donna Karan of the new Millenium, women of a certain sense of understatement and chic sleekness ...... i mourn the classic impeccably tailored white shirt of years and years gone by, i haven't bought her stuff for at least 15 years now.... i can't imagine what they cost now, but for me, there is nothing like a beautifully cut white shirt with a simple pair of jeans or pencil skirt.....

Old 06-11-2018, 08:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,447,714 times
Far too boxy and matronly for my tastes.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM

15,210 posts, read 10,253,937 times
I also had to go to her website. Some of the clothes seemed a little boxy and I don't care for that. I solved that problem with some of my own clothes with attractive belts. I want clothes that shape your figure, not hide it completely.

Chico's has the same problem IMO. When you go shopping in the store, most of the people are over 65 (not that there's anything wrong with that). The only things I have purchased there are pants and belts. Most of their tops are soooo long. I'm not quite ready for the long tunics since I am 5'1" tall.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,068,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That pretty much describes it. It's not the fabrics, it's simply the designer name that accounts for the high prices. And everything is boxy, because mostly the fashions are designed for middle-aged women and older. But boxy or baggy occasionally passes through the youth market, too.
I had a look at the site, and I am seeing organic fabrics, silks and linens. And the clothes are “Sewn in New York.” So, I imagine the quality of fabric and labor costs are part of the higher prices. I would wear Eileen Fisher if I could afford it. I think her clothes are about comfort and to me they have a distinctive style which is not everyone’s cup of tea. But I like the clothes. I am less enthusiastic about the preponderance of neutral colors, I have to admit. But I like the clothes.

If you question whether the clothes are too old for you, then the clothes are probably not for you at this stage in your life. But I look at the stuff in the Coldwater Creek catalog, and think a lot of their stuff is too old fior me!

Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,928,619 times
I'm in my fifties and have never even heard of this line of clothing so I had to google it. It's not something I would wear. It just seems like a paper sack is over most of their heads....not very flattering......at least to me. However I am not very trendy so my thoughts are probably different than most. I just buy what looks nice on my figure and colors that compliment my skin tone regardless of what is currently in style.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,324,295 times
I just googled it also. Definitely not anything there I would wear or feel confident wearing. Some of those crop pants!?!?! They make the model look like they have two toothpicks coming out of the bottom of those pant legs.

No shape at all to a lot of the clothing. Like the clothes are trying to hide that there is a female figure.

Nope, not a place I would shop at.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:31 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,252,281 times
Not my style at all.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 AM

10,604 posts, read 12,077,263 times
I love Eileen Fisher designs. But:
-- her items are above my price point,
-- I have more clothes than I'll ever wear already...
....so I'll likely never buy or own any.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:45 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,969,205 times
It's interesting to read the opinions of what I presume are mostly/all women on this brand, as a guy that's pretty interested in fashion. I've noticed and liked Eileen Fisher ads and storefronts for some time. The often-minimal color palette and/or the use of grayscale, the way they look relaxed and sophisticated at the same time... overall it's pretty cool stuff in my opinion. It's hard to do minimal like that, and not look drab or boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty