Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 03:41 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I believe they certainly did in the courts of kings. The ladies-in-waiting would all be hanging out with their Queen, and I'm sure cattiness came up over fashion back then.
I can just imagine how the French court ladies snarked about each other behind their fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:36 PM

116 posts, read 89,296 times
So what? In ancient rome you think some woman saw another woman and said "Those earrings don't go with that toga!" LOL!

Old 06-30-2018, 06:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Of course, not every woman is like that, but just as there are some women today that will criticise another woman's appearance, clothes, makeup etc. do you think even way back in time say ancient rome, or medieval times for instance even as heavily oppressed as women were they still criticised each other for clothes, hair, makeup, jewelry, etc. as some women do today?
Absolutely. Human nature hasn't changed. Again though not all women are like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
i have no doubt women thru the ages have been catty, backstabbing, hypercritical
Sad but true for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
It always seemed to me that such shallow behavior was in part related to intelligence, or lack there of. And feelings of insecurity, for sure.
In some cases but even highly intelligent women can be catty. Intelligent women can also be jealous over another woman's looks. But I do agree with being secure. If you are happy and secure with who you are then you don't care what others wear. In my case I may think "I" would never wear that but that is for my own reasons. That does not also mean I won't say to my husband "what was she thinking" when she looked in the mirror but that is just an observation of taste

Last edited by ylisa7; 06-30-2018 at 06:24 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
It always seemed to me that such shallow behavior was in part related to intelligence, or lack there of. And feelings of insecurity, for sure.
It's also a practice of intimidation, which is adaptive and evolutionary.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 06-30-2018 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 02:02 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
So what? In ancient rome you think some woman saw another woman and said "Those earrings don't go with that toga!" LOL!
Not so much in terms of fashion, but in ancient times, certain colors, fabrics, jewelry were associated with your station in life and with your loyalty to the gods or religion. This certainly applied in more recent history with native people.

In modern times, I think men judge women with their overall appearance, but really don't care about the labels they wear or individual fashion pieces. It's how the women put these things together to make a holistic impression that makes the imprint on a man. Women, however, nitpick over the individual items that the women have selected to wear or for external decoration. Women judge other women on their "choices" and if these choices agree with their own sensibilities or subjective preferences. "Bad" or different choices definitely affects the woman's negative impression of the other woman. No many how many glass ceilings are broken or how financially independent women become, this will never change.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's also a practice of intimidation, which is adaptive and evolutionary.

I'm sure there were plenty of insecure, jealous/and or shallow individuals in the past. I suspect in the past there were more reasons for it than we have now.

It can turn into a form of bullying, yes. I don't know if I would agree that cattiness is part of human evolution. That the impetus for security, by any means necessary, is part of adaptation--- makes a lot of sense.

Hopefully now that women have increased power over their own lives in most cultures, and more opportunities for education and communication, common sense and introspection can win over jealousy and insecurity.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
I'm sure there were plenty of insecure, jealous/and or shallow individuals in the past. I suspect in the past there were more reasons for it than we have now.

It can turn into a form of bullying, yes. I don't know if I would agree that cattiness is part of human evolution. That the impetus for security, by any means necessary, is part of adaptation--- makes a lot of sense.
Oh, yeah...it is a powerful tool in establishing social order. In various eras, this could be the key in making financially advantageous matches for marriage and securing economic wellbeing for both one's self and one's family. In eras where women had limited financial capital, social capital was a powerful mechanism of even more import.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:27 AM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Absolutely. Human nature hasn't changed. Again though not all women are like that.

Sad but true for some.

In some cases but even highly intelligent women can be catty. Intelligent women can also be jealous over another woman's looks. But I do agree with being secure. If you are happy and secure with who you are then you don't care what others wear. In my case I may think "I" would never wear that but that is for my own reasons. That does not also mean I won't say to my husband "what was she thinking" when she looked in the mirror but that is just an observation of taste
Lol. This is what cracks me up, the notion that just because something is "in style," you must wear it, or vice versa. How lame is that?! You must wear this because I say so, otherwise you're not in fashion. It's ridiculous. If I see something I like that's trendy, yeah, I'll wear it. Because I like it. Not because someone says I should. If it's trendy and yet I find it hideous, yeah, no, I'm not going to wear it.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I bet I'm not the only one who has put something on for the day, and had reservations while wearing it. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes, I'll put on an outfit...see myself in the mirror, and think that it looks iffy.

And then as the day progresses, I am less and less thrilled with what I have on.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:10 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I bet I'm not the only one who has put something on for the day, and had reservations while wearing it. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes, I'll put on an outfit...see myself in the mirror, and think that it looks iffy.

And then as the day progresses, I am less and less thrilled with what I have on.

Ha, ha...I'm sure I have many of those but at the time I thought I looked great All I have to do is look at some of my pictures from my school years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty