Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times

Advertisements

My 27 year old daughter carries a Coach cross body bag or a wristlet. So do most of her friends. One does carry one of those big, slouchy bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 06:45 PM

388 posts, read 307,081 times
I'm 37. Before last year, I generally carried a small-ish leather purse. I like the cross-body style, and it needs to be big enough for a clasp wallet, keys, chapstick, and phone, but I don't like the huge cavernous bags.

Now, with a 1-year-old, I carry a giant diaperbag. At least it's a somewhat stylish Vera Bradley!

Old 07-02-2018, 07:52 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
I used to carry a purse all of the time, now I carry my phone in a leather wallet case that holds my cards and ID. I do my makeup at home and carry a lipstick or gloss in my pocket. My car key goes into a pocket, and my house is a code lock so no key. My lists and coupons are on my phone. I only use checks to pay a few bills that aren't electronic pay, so my check book never leaves the house. And my phone case easily fits in a back pocket.

If I absolutely must carry more stuff, I generally carry a small purse maybe hard cover book sized. When traveling I tend to carry a big bag because I carry my chrome book, snacks, headphones, drink bottle, etc for the road.

It's nice to just grab my phone case and go.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I used to carry a purse all of the time, now I carry my phone in a leather wallet case that holds my cards and ID. I do my makeup at home and carry a lipstick or gloss in my pocket. My car key goes into a pocket, and my house is a code lock so no key. My lists and coupons are on my phone. I only use checks to pay a few bills that aren't electronic pay, so my check book never leaves the house. And my phone case easily fits in a back pocket.

If I absolutely must carry more stuff, I generally carry a small purse maybe hard cover book sized. When traveling I tend to carry a big bag because I carry my chrome book, snacks, headphones, drink bottle, etc for the road.

It's nice to just grab my phone case and go.
Do you only wear pants?

I don’t wear them often and I’m paranoid of things falling out of my back pocket. And I like to be hands free.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
College-age daughter carries a Fossil Emma zip clutch when going out. She tends to leave her sunglasses on her head or tucked in the front of her blouse when it's not necessary to wear them. Although her phone does fit inside the wristlet, she more often slips it into her back pocket. She does not carry make-up other than a lip balm with her. Her favorite is a tinted version from Burt's Bees, which comes in a thin tube that fits inside the wallet. Car key is electronic and fits easily in a pocket or clips to the wallet. BTW, I'm fifty-two, and I carry the same wallet. I don't carry a purse regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
What all goes into a womans purse? I thought, along with the necessary-wallet, cell phone, checkbook, Kleenex and makeup, maybe a bunch of coupons and a list. Also, the essential feminine hygiene products, pens and pencils, receipts, keys, change, electronics of some sort. That pile of "junk", for me anyways, determines how big and what style of purse I might use.
On a daily basis...

Wallet: yes
Cell phone: yes, fits in clutch wallet
Sunglasses: on my face or tucked in the front of my shirt
Checkbook: just a couple of loose checks, and they fit in the bill compartment of the wallet
Coupons: not frequently, and then only the ones I need for whatever errand I'm running
Kleenex: no, although I have some in the car
Makeup: no, but there's probably lip balm in a pocket or in the center console of the car
Medicine/First Aid: no, but there's a First Aid kit in the car
Mints, etc.: no, but there's a container of Altoids in the center console of the car
Pens & pencils: no, although there's one in the center console of the car
Receipts: in the wallet, cleared out each evening
Keys: in pocket or clipped to the wallet
Change: in the wallet, excess cleared out regularly
Electronics: no, except phone
Feminine hygiene products: Diva cup, which is removed, dumped, and reinserted, so no need to carry anything extra

Last edited by randomparent; 07-02-2018 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 01:35 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
It surprises me how many people carry their phone and/or wallet in their back pocket. I've known too many people whose phone has fallen out of their back pocket into the toilet when pulling down their pants because they forgot to first remove the phone or they didn't want to put their phone down on any of the surfaces in the bathroom. And it just seems like openly challenging pickpockets to take your stuff (it wouldn't be difficult)

Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It surprises me how many people carry their phone and/or wallet in their back pocket. I've known too many people whose phone has fallen out of their back pocket into the toilet when pulling down their pants because they forgot to first remove the phone or they didn't want to put their phone down on any of the surfaces in the bathroom. And it just seems like openly challenging pickpockets to take your stuff (it wouldn't be difficult)
Agreed. Also I rarely drive, so that is mot a backup purse for me. If I am not holding it in my ha ds ir pockets it doesn't exist.

I’m also a frequent dress wearer.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I see a lot of younger women carrying the Longchamp nylon bags in various sizes.
My wife has a couple of those she uses to carry her lunch and bottles of water/soda in addition to her handbag.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Young women who carry large purses are called Shoplifters.
LOL ...

Thanks for the insight. I will keep that in mind .

Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I'm doing research for a project and am trying to find out if younger women in the age range of about 20 to 40 years old carry a handbag and if so, what kind (that is, type of material in the bag, size, price range, and whether it's a popular fashion label or not). Please note I'm not probing on this topic to annoy people but simply doing research for a project. It's kind of important that I find out what the trend in the younger generation is, as far as handbags.

I've been looking around and have noticed that younger women don't seem to carry handbags anymore, at least not in my area. I don't live in the boonies where people drive everywhere and could easily keep their stuff in the car. I live in a very large metropolitan area where people are out on the street all day, walking to restaurants, shopping and sightseeing.

I guess I thought every woman needs to carry at least a few items with her when she goes out and about such as cell phone, wallet, checkbook, Kleenex and makeup, maybe a bunch of coupons and a list. Maybe not. But given that women's clothing seldom contains pockets especially not sizeable pockets (none big enough to fit a wallet or cell phone), I'm a little curious why young women don't carry handbags. Where do they put their STUFF?

Women in their 40's and older seem to still carry them but the only types of bags they seem to carry tend to be those larger-sized faux leather totes made by the popular fashion labels.

In the past, I used to see women using leather cross-body bags, hobo bags, sophisticated clutches, tooled leather satchels, straw bags, quilted bags...in other words, a much wider variety of bags. Do younger women like any of these bags?

So, what's the trend out there? Do younger women carry bags and if so, what kind?
The bag you carry says a lot about you.

Brand
Size
Colour/design

No one I know leaves the house without a bag.

It is unheard of.

There are 2 types of accessories that literally tell the world who you are in the world of women ...

Bags
Jewelry

Both are epic female status symbols.

I am not even kidding.

I walk in to a store ... my bag and jewelry dictate how much attention I am going to get based on my experiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty