U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM

17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you don't mind looking like a shorter stumpier version of yourself, rock on!

Whether someone likes them or not, it doesn't change the fact that they cut off the body awkwardly and change the appearance of your proportions and shape.
Second only to drop-crotch in ugliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 12:45 PM

369 posts, read 189,937 times
While I care about the look, comfort is higher on the list. I like cool loose fitting clothes in the summertime. The shorts I wear now are just a hair below the knee. Not the extra long ones that look silly. The picture I posted was only an example.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:52 PM

4,293 posts, read 6,398,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
...They're comfortable and that's really all that matters.

You know, this comes up a lot.... "comfortable". If your Other clothes aren't comfortable, you're doing something wrong. ALL the clothes you own should be comfortable. Comfort should simply be a given for anything you're wearing, not a justification to wear a specific item. So the, "that's all that really matters" thing, ought to be a moot point. It's kinda like saying "Yea, I buy and wear uncomfortable clothes" when you attempt to use the above an justification. Try something else, like "because *I* like them". There's no accounting for personal taste, so that's always a safe reason. For whatever it's worth, I don't care what others wear so long as it's suitable for the body they have. Not really a problem guys create, just the ladies.

Nope, don't hate cargo pants/shorts... well, I wouldn't wear them but I'd never call someone out over them. Ditto on men wearing shorts, even though I gave them up myself years ago.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,718,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I think it's funny that some people hate them so much. They're comfortable and that's really all that matters. There are plenty of fashion choices others make that I don't like, but it's their right to wear whatever they like. It's akin to those people that hate Fords because they drive a Chevy, etc...
So then why did you start this thread?

Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,118,415 times
Just the other day I was sitting in my car and two men were walking through the parking lot. One man had baggy shorts that were a few inches below his knees. I realized that it was a very unflattering length. I've noticed a similar issue with capris and cropped pants on women (depending on many factors- height, weight, body shape, length of pants), but I was surprised that men could be victim to the same phenomenon.

This site has a bunch of knee-length cargo shorts which look good IMO

https://www.ae.com/men-cargo-shorts/...tId=cat5180435

Old 07-17-2018, 01:47 PM

369 posts, read 189,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

I didn't ask whether people approved of them, only if they are becoming a thing of the past or not.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:02 PM

1,714 posts, read 466,343 times
Quote:
Are below the knee cargo shorts dead?
I believe so !!!!! Gone with the Wind....Actually, NEVER owned one of them ....

Old 07-17-2018, 04:08 PM

9,788 posts, read 7,650,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
He's trying to find some to purchase.

Land's End has them that come to the knee. Works if you are short.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 332,233 times
You'll look like you walked straight out of the 90's when they were popular.

Better snag a pair of all-white New Balances to go with them.

Shorts today are shorter across the board as a trend. You don't have to go super short and get a pair of Bird Dogs or Chubbies, but you'll find most falling above the knee, as not to look like JNCOs.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:05 PM

865 posts, read 399,796 times
Sierra Trading Post has a lot of outdoorsy stuff with deep discounts from retail. Wear what you like and don't mind the naysayers. I happen to agree with those that say they are dated and unflattering, but if it's for function, I get it.

Regular pants do not have enough or large enough pockets when you have a wallet, key cards, fobs, phone, and a few other things to carry around regularly.

There are travel shorts and pants that have extra zipped pockets that are pretty utilitarian. Also try workwear brands like Carhartt or Dickies. At or 1 inch above the knee seems like a common length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty