U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 PM

5,534 posts, read 2,635,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I'm not trying to impress anyone and could care less if others think I'm out of style. I like to be comfortable, and when I was younger the only people who wore shorts above the knee were the same guys that wore socks with their sandals. :P
That's a neat trick, in one post you managed to scorn those who would judge you for what you wear then make fun at what other people wear.

Well played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 PM

961 posts, read 339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't help you with your search, but my first thought upon reading the thread title was, "God, I hope so..."
Blless you, fleetiebelle.

We don't often see things the same way, but GOD DO I HATE THOSE CLOWN PANTS!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 1,949,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
For whatever it's worth, I don't care what others wear so long as it's suitable for the body they have. Not really a problem guys create, just the ladies.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 PM

380 posts, read 212,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's a neat trick, in one post you managed to scorn those who would judge you for what you wear then make fun at what other people wear.

Well played.

It was a joke, I could care less what people wear. I just hate the way shorter shorts look on me.

P.S. At least I wasn't suggesting outlawing someone else's fashion choices...

Old 07-19-2018, 05:29 AM

4,662 posts, read 5,545,312 times
The only short fashion thing that's driving me insane because I can't seem to find the solution is swim shorts. When I was a kid, this was no problem, they were so easy to find everywhere. I guess I took that for granted. Now, last summer for instance, I really wanted a new pair of swim trunks that fit properly. Well, joke was on me, 3 different stores sold "board shorts," which are not in any way, shape, or form meant for swimming. Whatsoever. I literally laughed the first time someone told me about these things, "Ok so... but where is the lining?" "Oh there's no lining." "Umm. Ok so your..." [it was a girl working the shop] "... you know, your... stuff... is just hanging out, just hanging loose? Am I missing something here? That makes no sense, and wouldn't be comfortable or private." "Oh well you can wear speedos underneath, or like these swim thong things we sell, or you could just wear your briefs." So I've magically become a chick now? I need 2 different clothing items just to hop in the pool? Nah, no thanks, I'm ok. Not gonna follow that fashion "trend." Guy's fashion is about convenience, it isn't about some weird thing that makes no sense.

Then if I'm so blessed to find a pair of swim trunks, and boy is that rare, I face either of two problems: 1) There is a lining, yay, but there are no pockets, boo, that doesn't work for me, or 2) And this is the biggie, swim trunks don't function like all other guys clothing, so instead of buying the size that fits me, I'm stuck with S, M, L, or XL, apparently? Well there's an issue here because my waist is 31", but I have very long legs, and I also have very large quads because I work out, so the medium is actually loose around my waist, it doesn't quite fit right, but it makes me look like a complete dork with the way the shorts hit way above my knee and seem almost too tight around my, umm, everything. If I move up to large, I'm now stuck with Jabba the Hutt's waist line with about a foot of space but at least the length is acceptable. Even if I tie the string extra tight, it just doesn't fit or feel comfortable because the shorts are made for fat guys.

When did making shorts or swim trunks become so difficult? I have similar issues with many brands of regular shorts, again they're made for short-legged dudes or just in general do not look right on me. I think I look like a total dork in any shorts I ever try to wear, which is why even when it's hot I usually just go with jeans and say forget it.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:03 AM

14,387 posts, read 7,871,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't help you with your search, but my first thought upon reading the thread title was, "God, I hope so..."
I remember the first time I saw someone wearing jorts I did a doubletake! It looked so bizarre to me. I don't see a need to go back to the '80's short-shorts for men but something a bit shorter is more flattering.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:06 AM

14,387 posts, read 7,871,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Sierra Trading Post has a lot of outdoorsy stuff with deep discounts from retail. Wear what you like and don't mind the naysayers. I happen to agree with those that say they are dated and unflattering, but if it's for function, I get it.

Regular pants do not have enough or large enough pockets when you have a wallet, key cards, fobs, phone, and a few other things to carry around regularly.

There are travel shorts and pants that have extra zipped pockets that are pretty utilitarian. Also try workwear brands like Carhartt or Dickies. At or 1 inch above the knee seems like a common length.
Men with bulging pockets (using even the decorative cargo pockets) look really bad. Get a mini backpack to carry....jeeez. What'd ya do in college with all your stuff?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 PM

7,559 posts, read 4,118,305 times
Are we talking primarily about men's below-the-knee cargo shorts? Because I'd say the majority of men don't care what they wear or who likes it or not (either).

Old 07-19-2018, 01:35 PM

20,509 posts, read 13,452,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The hate against cargo shorts started with a newspaper article, and a lot of self anointed fashionistas jumped on the 'hate cargo shorts' bandwagon like the rest of the sheeple.

Cargo shorts are still a big seller in the U.S., and many people do like them, not only those that wear them, but others as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4BZHrGJBtw
I never read that article, and I have never liked how they look on most guys who wear them. I do resent being called a sheeple. We get to like or dislike whatever we want to.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:07 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,342,823 times
OH LOL, I laughed my way through that. Thanks, SG. We all wear them around here---me, too. It's all DH wears. Like the article said, where does your stuff go? In a "murse"? If I'm wearing tight shorts---DH gets my "stuff" to put in his ---cargo shorts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty