U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:43 PM

1,202 posts, read 379,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Hope they are a thing of the past. They are UGLY!

Hmmm, but not NEARLY as bad as speedos though lol
I HOPE so! Those things are ridiculous looking! They look like man culottes! They look especially silly on men with short legs where there is only about 6" of leg between the bottom of the shorts and usually their socks and workboots! Just hideous! Speedos, of the man panty variety, should just be outlawed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 02:48 PM

1,202 posts, read 379,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
The only short fashion thing that's driving me insane because I can't seem to find the solution is swim shorts. When I was a kid, this was no problem, they were so easy to find everywhere. I guess I took that for granted. Now, last summer for instance, I really wanted a new pair of swim trunks that fit properly. Well, joke was on me, 3 different stores sold "board shorts," which are not in any way, shape, or form meant for swimming. Whatsoever. I literally laughed the first time someone told me about these things, "Ok so... but where is the lining?" "Oh there's no lining." "Umm. Ok so your..." [it was a girl working the shop] "... you know, your... stuff... is just hanging out, just hanging loose? Am I missing something here? That makes no sense, and wouldn't be comfortable or private." "Oh well you can wear speedos underneath, or like these swim thong things we sell, or you could just wear your briefs." So I've magically become a chick now? I need 2 different clothing items just to hop in the pool? Nah, no thanks, I'm ok. Not gonna follow that fashion "trend." Guy's fashion is about convenience, it isn't about some weird thing that makes no sense.

Then if I'm so blessed to find a pair of swim trunks, and boy is that rare, I face either of two problems: 1) There is a lining, yay, but there are no pockets, boo, that doesn't work for me, or 2) And this is the biggie, swim trunks don't function like all other guys clothing, so instead of buying the size that fits me, I'm stuck with S, M, L, or XL, apparently? Well there's an issue here because my waist is 31", but I have very long legs, and I also have very large quads because I work out, so the medium is actually loose around my waist, it doesn't quite fit right, but it makes me look like a complete dork with the way the shorts hit way above my knee and seem almost too tight around my, umm, everything. If I move up to large, I'm now stuck with Jabba the Hutt's waist line with about a foot of space but at least the length is acceptable. Even if I tie the string extra tight, it just doesn't fit or feel comfortable because the shorts are made for fat guys.

When did making shorts or swim trunks become so difficult? I have similar issues with many brands of regular shorts, again they're made for short-legged dudes or just in general do not look right on me. I think I look like a total dork in any shorts I ever try to wear, which is why even when it's hot I usually just go with jeans and say forget it.
https://www.chubbiesshorts.com/colle...SAAEgJ36PD_BwE

https://www.landsend.com/products/me...47?sku_0=::7FF

You're welcome!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:25 PM

20,509 posts, read 13,452,283 times
I just did a quick getaway, and after reading this thread, I made myself notice cargo shirts. I saw them on men of all ages, and while I saw a couple of oversized pairs on a couple of guys, I also saw trimmer versions. I also saw other versions of shorts.

It might be that the longer versions are passing out of style. Maybe. The trimmer versions looked best, to my eye.

I’d say, if you find a pair that you like, buy extra pairs.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:57 AM

4,662 posts, read 5,545,312 times
Hmm those swim trunks are so short though! I like mine to be just above the knee basically :/

Old 07-29-2018, 11:28 PM

255 posts, read 79,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
Not just no, helll no... lol. No jean material and only slightly below the knee. Example below.
I think my husband wears shorts like that. Or maybe not.mmaybe they are to the knee...havent paid attention

Old 07-30-2018, 05:47 AM

2,537 posts, read 2,239,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm in the minority, but I don't mind khaki cargo shorts on guys...the longer-than-knee length, though, is not a great look, IMO, and nor is super baggy.

I'm married to a military member, though, who is diehard on cargo pockets, overall, and appreciates the working uniform-like usefulness and practicality. So he's not likely to give them up, and he gives no craps about fashion, so no qualms about being out of style. His tend to hit right at the knee.

I don't clothes shop for him. AFAIK, the bulk of his cargo shorts come from places like Bass Pro/Cabela's, Costco, and sometimes Kohls. But, he is definitely function over fashion.

Just like my hubby. He was 10 yrs military and never gave up the cargos. Nor did he care if people thought he was fashionable. I was always waiting for the marbles and frogs to come out of his pockets at night when he emptied all his pockets. He loved those longer cargo shorts. It's all he would wear after a certain age. I told him he just needed a purse which usually got me a glare. lol.

I like the longer look shorts on guys myself now (hubby passed recently so no more of them here).

But usually wrangler was the only brand with which he could consistently find what he wanted.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 689 times
I love below the knee cargo shorts, my longest go almost half way down my calves, which is nice when you are almost 6 feet tall, stick skinny, and weigh a little more than 120 pounds. It is also nice when you live in a warm area, because it is breezy and loose, letting you cool down. It's also nice for hiking.

You can find some union bay shorts and king-size direct shorts like that.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

16,154 posts, read 9,379,314 times
You know what, no matter our age and our personal backgrounds, people can and DO change.

In this thread and in other similar ones, I have defended cargo shirts simply because they were the style I wore (only on vacation though, I never wear shorts in public back home unless I'm going to the gym or the like).

And I notice watching a lot of YouTube videos that soooo many guys in public still wear cargo shorts.

But you know what? I now think they do look rather butt ugly. I got rid of what few pairs I had and bought some new shorts that are flat front and no side pockets. Looks so much better and neater that way.

Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

5,501 posts, read 8,469,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
The only short fashion thing that's driving me insane because I can't seem to find the solution is swim shorts. When I was a kid, this was no problem, they were so easy to find everywhere. I guess I took that for granted. Now, last summer for instance, I really wanted a new pair of swim trunks that fit properly. Well, joke was on me, 3 different stores sold "board shorts," which are not in any way, shape, or form meant for swimming. Whatsoever. I literally laughed the first time someone told me about these things, "Ok so... but where is the lining?" "Oh there's no lining." "Umm. Ok so your..." [it was a girl working the shop] "... you know, your... stuff... is just hanging out, just hanging loose? Am I missing something here? That makes no sense, and wouldn't be comfortable or private." "Oh well you can wear speedos underneath, or like these swim thong things we sell, or you could just wear your briefs." So I've magically become a chick now? I need 2 different clothing items just to hop in the pool? Nah, no thanks, I'm ok. Not gonna follow that fashion "trend." Guy's fashion is about convenience, it isn't about some weird thing that makes no sense.

Then if I'm so blessed to find a pair of swim trunks, and boy is that rare, I face either of two problems: 1) There is a lining, yay, but there are no pockets, boo, that doesn't work for me, or 2) And this is the biggie, swim trunks don't function like all other guys clothing, so instead of buying the size that fits me, I'm stuck with S, M, L, or XL, apparently? Well there's an issue here because my waist is 31", but I have very long legs, and I also have very large quads because I work out, so the medium is actually loose around my waist, it doesn't quite fit right, but it makes me look like a complete dork with the way the shorts hit way above my knee and seem almost too tight around my, umm, everything. If I move up to large, I'm now stuck with Jabba the Hutt's waist line with about a foot of space but at least the length is acceptable. Even if I tie the string extra tight, it just doesn't fit or feel comfortable because the shorts are made for fat guys.

When did making shorts or swim trunks become so difficult? I have similar issues with many brands of regular shorts, again they're made for short-legged dudes or just in general do not look right on me. I think I look like a total dork in any shorts I ever try to wear, which is why even when it's hot I usually just go with jeans and say forget it.
My hubby wore ill-fitting, unattractive swim trunks for years. He has similar issues as you - very long legs so he buys a bigger trunk size for a longer fit, but then the trunks are too wide and they balloon up around him when he’s in the water (which is quite amusing to us, especially in hot tubs).

Anyhow, last year we took a trip to the Bahamas and he forgot his swim trunks. So I told him to take the time to find a pair that actually fit him. I think my exact words were, “You should splurge on new trunks. You deserve it.”

So we went to the ritzy shopping area and tried on trunks in multiple shops - nothing worked. With his long legs all trunks were shorty mcshorts... We were giving up hope and about to call it a day when we spied a small boutique advertising men’s swimwear. It was French.

We walked into the boutique and illuminated on a corner shelf was a very attractive pair of sea blue swim trunks. They came in size long. My hubby agreed to try on this one last pair before calling it a day, but we did not have high hopes.

When he came out of the dressing room, I was astonished. The shorts fit perfectly. I told him he looked fashionable, yet virile. He strutted about the place like a Ben Stiller catwalk model. He said they were the most comfortable shorts he had ever worn. In unison, we told the salesperson, “we’ll take them.”

Gingerly, the salesperson folded the shorts and placed them in a very nice matching drawstring swimbag that came with the shorts. She then carefully wrapped them in tissue paper and placed them in a fancy cloth shopping bag.

She gave it to my husband and said “That will be $780.”

My hubby and I then had a debate right at the sales counter on the foolishness of spending that much on swim trunks. However, he still bought those perfect trunks. This was a once in a lifetime find. He now parades around the community pool with the best-looking swim trunks around.

BTW, the swim trunks are Vilebrequin. https://www.vilebrequin.com/us/en/home. They do have less-expensive versions.

They are made of the highest quality materials and the company will replace the lining if it ever tears.. Also I had a 10% off coupon...

Here’s his exact trunks featured in a GQ article...
https://www.gq.com/story/vilebrequin...wimming-trunks

Last edited by GoCUBS1; Yesterday at 10:47 PM..

Old Today, 01:30 PM

22,948 posts, read 4,791,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
No matter where I look it seems I can no longer find loose-fitting cargo shorts that are long enough to sit below the knee. I have a few pairs of Wrangler shorts that are wearing out and I can't find suitable replacements. The newest version (same exact style) I've found is shorter by a couple inches.

I've tried the Wrangler site, Target, Walmart, JC Penny, Amazon, etc, with no luck. Is the style now just tighter and above the knee? Am I out of fashion?

You might not be out of fashion....but those styles don't look good on any guy. Above the knee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty