U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM

35,153 posts, read 43,336,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
not even in my house? (wearing them now )
Yes, I mean in public. Even so, I only wear Lands End yoga pants at home, because they aren’t baggy and they’re still comfortable. If someone comes to the door, I still look presentable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 AM

7,481 posts, read 5,590,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My most unpopular opinion is that fashion is PERSONAL. What I like, what I wear, what I don't wear, what I wear, what it costs, and so on if for ME. Likewise your fashion is for you.

I hate the bashing threads this forum inspires picking on people for their own fashion choices.
You said it better than I did.

Fashion IS personal. Everyone should be able to express themselves however they want (as long as it falls within the rules of decency, you don't want to get arrested I'm sure).

I have a really big problem with people who take it upon themselves to go around dictating what others should wear.

Don't let anyone other than you tell you who you are.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 AM

21,719 posts, read 22,998,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Fashion IS personal. Everyone should be able to express themselves however they want (as long as it falls within the rules of decency, you don't want to get arrested I'm sure).
It's true, and the flip side of this is that you get people on boards like this who argue that fashion is stupid and meaningless and frivolous. Maybe so, but when you get up in the morning you put clothes on your body that you've chosen for yourself. Whether that's a business suit or jeans and a cowboy hat or flip flops and cargo shorts does say something about you.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's true, and the flip side of this is that you get people on boards like this who argue that fashion is stupid and meaningless and frivolous. Maybe so, but when you get up in the morning you put clothes on your body that you've chosen for yourself. Whether that's a business suit or jeans and a cowboy hat or flip flops and cargo shorts does say something about you.
I'm sure it's not all of them, but I get the sneaking suspicion that some of the people (again not all) push that "fashion is stupid" idea because they don't believe in their ability to dress well or they had some kind of negative experience with fashion.

Now, I do agree that there are some aspects of fashion that are stupid (policing), and just five years ago, I thought nothing of fashion. But there was something in the back of my mind. I started thinking more seriously about fashion when I came to realize that I am not dressing to impress others, I am only dressing to express myself and be who I am.

Then the world of fashion opened up. Men's fashion didn't seem as limited as I explored different stores. I've worn different types of clothes that I didn't expect to wear in public and got some good responses from the type of people I wanted to respond to me.

But really, I think a lot of people get stumped by the restrictive ideas of fashion and that would probably be the type of "fashion" that I find to be "stupid". I urge men and women to dress how they want.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:52 PM

25,012 posts, read 60,243,111 times
Yoga pants are not sexy.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM

Anything tight is not (necessarily) sexy.

Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

15,909 posts, read 13,364,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the point is that cargo shorts and a t shirt says something different to Bob when he puts it on himself, or when Chad puts it on himself, so we should stop pretending we know what other people are "saying" with their clothing choices.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

31,490 posts, read 9,366,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Men who think high heels are "sexy" should wear them for a day.

Don't blame this on men. It's women who choose to wear heels--and disfiguring shoes which don't even resemble a human foot.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Don't blame this on men. It's women who choose to wear heels--and disfiguring shoes which don't even resemble a human foot.
Interestingly enough, from what I read, high heels were originally designed as menswear. And men wear disfiguring shoes, or boys for the matter.

Growing up, I had to stuff my feet in shoes which caused bunions in my feet. People look at my feet and think I survived a concentration camp.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

294 posts, read 193,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Why just women? I would say this for men too. I suspect all of your statements apply to both men and women.
Yes, both men and women in America for the most part dress poorly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or