Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,963,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
For me -- just too much of it - I have one dress, one top....and I am kind of sick of it.

Same with the floral and I loved the floral initially and have lots -- just too too much.

We just overdo everything.

In our defense, we get marketed to. If florals are the new hot thing, it's about the ONLY thing you can find in the stores. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 02:54 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,694,606 times
While there are a few "trends" that bug me, this one isn't one of them. I actually have a cold'ish' shoulder top (ha) and I get compliments on it every time I wear it.

I do agree that those giant bell sleeves are out of control!

Old 07-25-2018, 03:01 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,628,335 times
Cold shoulder sweaters should always be worn with peep-toe winter boots and jeans with lots of holes. Might as well let lots of spots get cold!

Old 07-25-2018, 03:06 PM

13,440 posts, read 15,390,318 times
They're ok. I really like my shoulders, tbh, since I do a lot of upper body work. However the cold shoulder top is overplayed.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:53 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,268,869 times
I'm just not a fan. It's not about showing a bit of the arm that bothers me. It's just the whole look.

I tend to focus on more timeless styles. The look isn't what I would consider timeless. If I'm buying something trendy it needs to be inexpensive. I recently forgot to pack an extra shirt for an event. I ran into the local T.J. Maxx and bought a kind of trendy shirt. It has a elbow length sleeves with a vertical slit in the upper part of the sleeve. The should is full. The slit begins about an inch past the shoulder. It's not really noticeable unless I'm moving my arms a lot. I like it because it's very light weight, almost silky so is cool in the summer. It's about as close to a cold shoulder look as I'll ever buy.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 PM

12,049 posts, read 10,208,126 times
They are okay in certain situations.

But the other day I saw a woman giving a briefing about a multiple shooting and she was wearing one. It just didn't look right? I thought it was too flimsy and more suited for a party than for a somber thing like that.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,924,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well...there's a LOT of pointless fashion statements...and to me, this is just...a look. I mean...gosh, there's puff sleeves, cap sleeves, fluttery sleeves, cuffed sleeves, and on and on and on, and there's cold shoulder sleeves. lol I only have the one "cold shoulder" top, but I think it flatters me just fine, and apparently others do too, because I always get compliments when I wear it.

BUT...OK...it's a look that rubs you the wrong way.
Why does fashion have to have a point?

It’s fashion! Dang! Does everything have to have a serious meaning or purpose? I couldn’t care less as to whether a particular style is “useful”, “important “, or “meaningful “.

Wear what makes you comfortable and happy! Whether it’s cold shoulder tops, cargo shorts, or flip flops.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,817,558 times
I don't dislike every single one of them, but most of them do look goofy to me. Also, what a dumb tan line they must leave.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:52 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,367,481 times
I hate them. My friends in their 60's and 70's wear them a lot, I guess thinking they're more flattering than sleeveless. However, the necklines are usually just a boring scoop neck that fall a few inches below your collarbone...to me, the most unflattering spot for a neckline. The rest of the top is just baggy, so it doesn't show your bustline or waist. I think they're dumb and not flattering to any shape, not to mention completely trendy.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:35 AM

15,994 posts, read 20,986,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm mixed. I do not own any. I bought one summer blouse, but wound up giving it to my daughter.

That said, if it's a summery top or a summer dress... maybe an evening gown for warmer weather, they can look cute.

I do not get them on sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, or anything designed for winter wear.
I thought that was the whole point of 'cold' shoulder, other wise it's just summer wear. Nothing about eighty degree weather says 'cold' to me.
I don't also consider off the shoulder to be the same as cold shoulder, as off the shoulder has been around forever.
Some of them are ok, some look awful, I haven't been tempted to wear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty