Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:02 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Pretty much. They are the guys who did a full body wax job including their pubes. As a sexual strategy it appealed to women fixated on pre-adolescent boys.

Do you know how you can tell the bride from the groom at a modern wedding?

The bride has the braided armpits.

Not exactly the greatest generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 07:08 PM

6,111 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I see that somewhat, that when we talk about grooming for men a bunch of people will jump in and question a guy's sexuality if he cares at all about his clothes or hair. It's rather insulting to straight men, actually, if the assumption is that they're supposed to be sloppy.
Thank you for calling this out. I would extend this to say that it's one form of outright sexism against men.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I suppose. I am in my mid 50's and the automobile has been central in most peoples lives for my entire life everywhere I have lived. When was public transportation moving most people around? Pre WW2?

In the big cities I have lived in its the poorer class thats taking public transportation. I have seen people waiting for the bus in a suit. It looks very odd.

However NYC may be different, never lived there.

Anyone can put on a suit and shave but not everyone can drive down the street in a 80K automobile.
I'm talking more about the gradual degradation of fine dress that started in the '60s, not the last twenty years. Neither men nor women dress formally any longer, and I really think that started when cars were used more for commuting than trolleys, trains, and buses. People don't walk much any more, other than for exercise, and that's a whole other ball of wax. We still signal our place in the hierarchy, but now we do it with cars rather than clothes, especially outside of major cities. It's not the finely-cut suit that people notice; it's the luxury car, as you noted.

I live in Denver, and because of my spouse's job, I have the opportunity to tag along with him on business trips and see a lot of different places around the country. What I notice about major cities is that people of all stripes dress more formally, especially on the coasts. Or maybe it's not that they're more formal necessarily, but that they seem to take a lot more care with their appearance. I think that's because they spend a lot more time getting around on their own two feet rather than inside cars, and it affects where they put their money and effort.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-25-2018 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I don’t understand why any man would just “let himself go†because of some strange belief that being well-groomed, nicely dressed, nails manicured, having healthy looking skin, etc...is a sign of being effeminate.
It's self improvement... And it's not liked by people that don't partake in it.

Because letting oneself go takes zero effort. And people that take the zero effort route don't like people that make an effort.

People that blow their money with no financial discipline always have a bone to pick with financially smart people.... Exact same deal.

If you take the initiative to take career related classes and get certifications to guide your career to the next level, you'll have stagnant coworkers that won't like it.

Go work out, lose weight and get in great shape. And listen to your fat, lazy peers say "who are you trying to impress?"

Old 07-25-2018, 08:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I certainly appreciate a bit of trimming in some areas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's required!!!
Please give us details so that we men are clued.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Please give us details so that we men are clued.
Cut a path in the jungle or no one will come explore......?

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-25-2018, 09:18 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Cut a path in the jungle or no one will come explore......?

What jungle, and are you referring to men, women, or both?

SRSLY you are being obscure and your subtext isn't getting through. Do you want men to shave their crotches? And does that apply only to hirsute men, or to all men?

Also SRSLY, and I'm trying to work within the TOS, but women would make it easier on men if... Or let me reword this that that recipients would make it easier on givers to shave there. I know TMI but I prefer to not be a recipient. I don't mind giving if that makes my lady happy.

I got a hair stuck on my throat once. The horror, the horror. Feel free to use your mod cut Mikala.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:05 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think it has. I think grooming in general for both sexes has just become much more relaxed. Even the women of your grandfather's generation were much more well put together than women of today.

This is true but the weird thing is more women today get their nails, eyebrows, eyelashes, etc. done than years ago. Ditto for the waxing. While women AND men spend more on their maintenance these days, people years ago were better groomed meaning they didn't leave the house in pajamas, sweat pants, etc. So yes, things are much more relaxed these days.

I appreciate a man who is well groomed as long as he doesn't go overboard to where he is wearing make-up or waxing every hair off his body.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:28 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times
I'll say this: I take pride in my appearance, and am far from a pretty boy. To me, a pretty boy is a man who spends as much time, if not more than a woman in getting dressed.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 AM

59 posts, read 48,722 times
I'm a young guy and this is just my theory but I think it might have been the result of the "appearance isn't important/self acceptance" movement that came in the 60s. As someone said, men usually dressed "effeminately" to denote status but with Western society shifting in the 60s to equalize people, it became unnecessary for men to do that. Most became more casual and thus "dressing up" started to seem more odd and was ridiculed.

However, this meant that relatively gender-neutral grooming (makeup, boots) were still tolerated in women for whatever reason thus people got this incredibly silly idea that men who dress up must want to look like women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty