Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:00 AM

11,080 posts, read 17,515,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That’s not high at all. Considering jeans cost $50. A shirt is $30. Good shoes are at least $80 ....
Guess I'm doing good then. I have never paid $50 for jeans and they last forever. Both my dress shirts were under $25 each. I have one suit. On your $80 shoes, I bought a pair of black Dr. Scholl's work shoes for $35 and they are my every day, including Sunday, shoes. Been wearing them for 4 years now and still doing great. We also shop clearance quite a bit, getting good clothes and saving a fortune.
Of course I didn't have a job where I had to dress in "nicer" clothes than every day stuff, but working on a highway crew, my maybe $30 jeans held up for years with tar, blacktop, road salt and no telling what else being on them from time to time. Probably doing good to say I spent $150/year. Less than that since I've retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:32 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,087,132 times
I'm finally getting my brain to match my budget, as for a long time (12 years), I was in denial that this was forever (caregiving).

The only things I have now are from thrift stores because I can't return them. If I buy retail I don't even take the tags off because I know I can't afford it. It's a huge waste of time, just for a little bit of enjoyable self-delusion. I'm sure that soon I'll be better trained, as I've noticed that lately, I just don't look at clothes anymore.

This must be how a wild horse feels when they get "broke". Or a dog on a choke chain. Bah, humbug

Old 07-31-2018, 01:12 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,374,267 times
Quote:
That’s not high at all. Considering jeans cost $50. A shirt is $30. Good shoes are at least $80 ....
OMG I would have heart failure if I spent that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I detest browsing through a bunch of racks in hopes of finding something, so thrift stores are not my cup of tea.
I hate shopping...but I love browsing through racks when I know I am getting a good/great deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Same. I enjoy shopping but not that kind of shopping when it comes to clothes.
The only time I like to shop is when I know I am going to score a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post

I do bargain shop and shop at thrift stores. I live in a poor, rural area, so the clothes in local stores are NOT my style. I will go to the stores in wealthier areas and find things when I am there.
Funny that "should" be the case but not always. I have scored some great deals in rural and middle class areas while bombing on Long Island which is a much more expensive area than I live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I can’t see how you’re spending only $200-$300 a year on clothes? Are you buying clothes at Goodwill or resale shops? Otherwise I think it’s next to impossible. Especially if you’re factoring in underwear, coats and shoes!
I never spend more than that. It also seems I rotate things. Two years ago I bought new bathing suits at the end of year clearance for $30.00 for both. Last year I bought 2 new shoes for $35.00 total, 3 new pairs of Avia sneakers on clearance for $11.00 each(OK they aren't the best but I just broke out the second pair and still have one brand new one left, 4 pairs of sweatpants for $16.00 total and 3 new bras for about $50.00. This year I bought new underwear for $40.00 and rubber boots for $14.00 for mucking around with the goats, lol.

My husband and I stocked up one end of the year sale and bought lined sweatshirts. We got them for $5.00 each and bought about 20. We sold 10 of them the following winter at a flea market for $15.00 each

I buy my jeans, buttoned down tops and dresses from yard sales and thrift stores. I never pay more than $4.00 an item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I can imagine quite a few posters look outdated or seems that they lack money. I thought I was cheap but there are always those that surpass me!
IDK, my husband and I went to dinner at Bonefish Grill last week. I wore black jeans, a nice top and mid heeled black sandals. My whole outfit cost me under $20.00 and I looked nicer than 75% of the other customers. My husband wore his Walmart Wrangler jeans, a polo shirt and a nice belt for about $25.00 worth and he looked very nice.

I don't think jeans and a nice top whether a polo shirt or a blouse can really be "that" outdated.

I spend $100.-$150. a year on clothes. Last year was an exception as I bought a new white dress for my wedding, $40.00, and new silver sandals for $35.00. And there was my FIL's funeral and I needed 3 dresses. One I had from my buck a bag sale and paid less than 10 cents, another one I had from a yard sale I paid $2.00 for and I got a new one on clearance at Dress Barn for $15.00. I also buy in bulk. If I find an item that I like and it fits well then when it goes on sale I stock up. I pretty much live in Hanes V necked t-shirts and jeans. I bought about 35-40 Hanes T-shirts on clearance about 4 years ago. I think they were $2.00 each. I still have about 20 new ones left.

I also score at my local Buck a Bag sales. Here are my scores for two years.

Last year 5 pairs of pants, 1 really nice dress(which you can't tell from this), 1 skirt and two shirts for $1.00.

The year before.
5 pairs of jeans, and those were very nice, two jackets and lots of books for $2.00

This past saturday I bought a brand new pair of jeans with tags, a matching buttoned down top and a dress for $7.00.

Last edited by ylisa7; 07-31-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 01:15 PM

4,208 posts, read 6,894,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I doubt they lack money they just have more common sense .
I wouldn't say they have more common sense as that implies that someone who spends more on clothes is somehow inferior or isn't intelligent. More accurate is that they just have a different preference.

I enjoy clothing and fashion and I can afford it, so does it mean I have less common sense because I spend more on clothes than some posters who like to be more frugal on clothing?

I think it's akin to my views on transportation. I tend to think most Americans spend way too much on cars. I've kept the same car for the last 15 years. I do most of my transportation by local transit (light rail here), bicycle, and some uber/lyft. It's significantly cheaper than buying a new car and paying for gas etc. But I wouldn't say other people who use their cars necessarily have less common sense. They just have a different preference and pay more to exercise that.

I buy clothes that I love, that fit me well, that have proven to be good quality, and I enjoy having a deep closet (mind you, my gf and I live in a studio/1br in an urban area so we still have limitations on closet size). I will spend upward of $100 on jeans, $100 on a dress shirt, $80 on a casual button up, $150-300 on leather dress shoes or leather boots, etc. But I tend to buy a few items in this category that I love and keep for years. All that being said, I spend probably <3% of my annual salary on clothes, so to me it's a very reasonable amount in regard to what I make.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,842,998 times
I don't overspend for my income. I don't find things I want or in my size in thrift stores and I am not going to browse forever to find something when I can go for a sure thing in store or online and return it if it doesn't work.

I like to incorporate current trends into my wardrobe as well, and I like to go shopping.

While I understand that many people like to thrift for all of their clothing, it isn't an option for everyone and it shouldn't be assumed that people who don't are dumb/overspending/etc.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:53 PM

1,299 posts, read 821,734 times
I am very frugal with clothes. My only thought about people who aren’t is that we have different priorities.

I spend more on other things that I’m sure might cause some people to raise their eyebrows. Like my $1000 bicycle. That’s okay, we’re just different.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:57 PM

4,208 posts, read 6,894,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I am very frugal with clothes. My only thought about people who aren’t is that we have different priorities.

I spend more on other things that I’m sure might cause some people to raise their eyebrows. Like my $1000 bicycle. That’s okay, we’re just different.
That's pretty much exactly how I see it.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:33 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,374,267 times
Quote:

While I understand that many people like to thrift for all of their clothing, it isn't an option for everyone and it shouldn't be assumed that people who don't are dumb/overspending/etc.

I never said anything like that. Personally I hate shopping and find the hunt for the deal the exciting part. I can well afford to pay more for my clothes but I choose not to

Anyway some of the references came up because some people said they couldn't spend so little.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:58 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,831,554 times
I am a guy and I really don't keep up with it. I don't have a "clothing budget." It is more like, if I see a shirt or some shoes or boots I like on sale, I may buy them. I don't go shopping for clothes specifically. I just pick them up here and there when I see something while in the mall or out and about. I can definitely say $200 to $300 wouldn't come close to getting it though. Hell the last pair of boots I bought were $400 on sale and my shirts generally run anywhere from $50 to $75 each. Jeans are over $50 a pair. I couldn't even buy a single outfit with $300.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:13 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,876,481 times
People with more money spend more money. I get that.

I don't get how anyone can spend $200+ per month on clothes. Do you replace your whole wardrobe every season and throw everything else out?

People here are saying they replace all their underwear, shoes, coats, jeans every year? Unless you are growing or especially rough on your clothing in crazy ways, how is that necessary? I guess it's more chasing trends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty