U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:15 PM

8,626 posts, read 11,756,418 times

Advertisements

Got a Fitbit Charge 2 for free through the employer's health program where they ask you to keep fit in exchange for a monetary reward - something like $300/yr. I love it as it tracks my sleep habits. Useful info to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:25 PM

3,203 posts, read 1,451,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Got a Fitbit Charge 2 for free through the employer's health program where they ask you to keep fit in exchange for a monetary reward - something like $300/yr. I love it as it tracks my sleep habits. Useful info to me.
I have had a John Hancock life insurance policy for decades. They're about to pull this...
https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/19/j...ance-policies/
It's total BS that they are putting this requirement on existing policies. I never would've bought it under these terms.
What if you become ill or physically unable to take enough steps to suit them??

I haven't decided yet whether to cash this out or get a Fitbit and put it on my watchwinder.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 PM

271 posts, read 130,444 times
Apple watch.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 AM

11 posts, read 1,357 times
VICTORINOX Maverick and Rolex these two are very much suitable to me and i prefer to wear .

Old 01-11-2019, 05:53 AM

281 posts, read 304,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
What brand wrist watches you guys wear and how much you spend on it?
Ok, this is a weakness of mine. I guess because I grew up really poor and now I am, let's say a lot better off. I am in the aerospace industry so of course my favorite watch is a Breitling. To me, everyone knows what a Rolex is but not everyone knows what a Breitling is, unless you know watches. So when I wear say my Breitling blackbird non-watch people wouldn't know that it costs twice as much as say a SS Rolex Submariner diver watch.

For the record, I own about 15 watches, (Breitling, Rolex, Tag Heuer, Omega, and yes, Citizens). I have 4 different dive watches (2 are submariner Rolex) but the one I wear every single time i dive is a cheap $50 G-shock Frogman watch my son gave me one year for Christmas was he was young and said to me "Daddy, this watch will protect you every time you go diving", so every time I dive, I wear that watch and so far nothing serious has happened.
I do waht is called "black water" diving. it is jsut that diving in water so black it is like coffee, I have a 1200 lumens dive torch light and if I am luck maybe I can see a foot in front of me. I do this in the rivers on Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina and I am looking for fossil sharks teeth, and yes there are snakes and alligators in the water with me.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 PM

1,404 posts, read 607,444 times
I haven't worn a watch in years.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM

799 posts, read 287,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post
Ok, this is a weakness of mine. I guess because I grew up really poor and now I am, let's say a lot better off. I am in the aerospace industry so of course my favorite watch is a Breitling. To me, everyone knows what a Rolex is but not everyone knows what a Breitling is, unless you know watches. So when I wear say my Breitling blackbird non-watch people wouldn't know that it costs twice as much as say a SS Rolex Submariner diver watch.

For the record, I own about 15 watches, (Breitling, Rolex, Tag Heuer, Omega, and yes, Citizens). I have 4 different dive watches (2 are submariner Rolex) but the one I wear every single time i dive is a cheap $50 G-shock Frogman watch my son gave me one year for Christmas was he was young and said to me "Daddy, this watch will protect you every time you go diving", so every time I dive, I wear that watch and so far nothing serious has happened.
I do waht is called "black water" diving. it is jsut that diving in water so black it is like coffee, I have a 1200 lumens dive torch light and if I am luck maybe I can see a foot in front of me. I do this in the rivers on Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina and I am looking for fossil sharks teeth, and yes there are snakes and alligators in the water with me.
I love watches and cars...and all things mechanical. I grew up lower-middle-class in central AL and after the service and two degrees, I can now retire anytime I want! I am blessed beyond expectations in that I can indulge in watches now and then.

Mechanical watches are, to me, the greatest invention - they're like a miniature factory that runs with prevision day-in and day-out. Think about a watch, which beats 28,800 times an hour, every hour and is accurate to within a couple of seconds a day, everyday. Phenomenal. My 5 year old GMT is accurate to within a second a day. I can't remember the last time I set the time on it.

I've had one Rolex or another since my mid-20's and make no apologies for wearing one. They survived my days in steel and paper mills which are am extremely tough environment for watches. On a 4-6 month startup, I bet that 40% of the guys broke their watch crystal while moving around the machinery and such. Never did - not in over three years.

My least-expensive watch is probably a Dan Henry 1970 diver, a Sekio SKK with a custom 12-hour bezel & an olongapo band, or a Seiko-5m45-Kinetic-GMT-Flightmaster.

As I move up the value curve, there's a Ball Hydromaster Engineer GMT, an orange and blue IWC Aquatimer Chronograph (on a custom leather band no less...and if you know IWC watches, you'll know that's...different), a newish TAG Heuer Monaco Gulf Special Edition 50th Anniversary edition, a Zenith El Primero, and a Rolex GMT (BLNR edition).

I'm lucky enough to attend the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona next week - my wife's cousin is driving in the GTD class. There was, to any WIS, a question of which watch to wear and the obvious choices are the Heuer Monaco or the Rolex GMT. The GMT will win out since its 24 hour bezel and GMT hand will be ideal for tracking the overall progress of the race relative to its length. Once I know our driver's schedules, I can easily determine when he'll be on the track also. The thought is for me to take tons o' pictures and be track side when he racing. His mentor was killed in a race this past summer so it's still a dangerous sport. His dad is happy that I'll be there since he can't afford to travel to it from outside the US himself.

Thank goodness my wife gets my obsessions and gives me plenty of rope to hang myself. She knows that by the time I'm ready to discuss another watch purpose, I'm confident that it won't impact our financial goals. lol

Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 AM

42,831 posts, read 34,329,976 times
I love watches but I like to change out different styles and I don't have any interest in owning 6 or more $5000 or more watches (think "Rolex"), so instead I have about 10 watches that run between about $100 and $300. If I spent any more than that on a watch, I'd feel obligated to wear it all the time instead of switching it out, and then I'd feel worried about being hit over the head for it or losing it. So I stick with Seiko, Fossil, that sort of thing and I love them all!

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Rolex (or other expensive watch) hater, but it's just not for me. For instance, I drive a very nice Mercedes SUV but it almost embarrasses me that it's a Mercedes because I didn't buy it to show off my ability to buy it (not saying people who wear very expensive watches do that). Frankly, we bought the SUV because we're both suckers for German ingenuity and it was priced great. I feel like apologizing whenever someone rides with me because they invariably say "WOW, what a nice vehicle and OH, it's a MERCEDES." Blech! My husband and I bought a nice home but it was far below what we "can" afford and what we "can" qualify for in a loan. My wedding set is beautiful - I love it and it's an antique and my husband had it tweaked and customized for me and that's exactly what I wanted but I have actually had several friends over the years say "Can I be honest? You should get your husband to upgrade your rings for your anniversary!" Even his MOTHER told him, "Why didn't you buy Kathryn a bigger diamond?" My gosh, it's big enough - what's the deal??????

So I'm most comfortable with a variety of watches, some of which look very traditional and some of which look very contemporary, with fun bands and all that, and if I lose one or get tired of one, so what. I doubt that my kids will be fighting over them one day and that's OK too.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:06 PM

3,481 posts, read 1,675,937 times
Seiko, movement driven, 25 years old, my first QVC purchase. Still works great. Love it.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:09 PM

242 posts, read 233,928 times
Seiko 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or