U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 AM

2,266 posts, read 1,217,719 times

Advertisements

I always wore a watch when I was a kid (before the days of smartphones). But then from my late teens to my late 20's I stopped wearing one because I had a cell phone.

But as I approached my 30's it became somewhat of a detractor in the corporate world if you didn't have one, kinda like if you don't play golf or tennis. So then I started paying attention to watches again and I would say that at least in the business world, a nice watch sets you apart from all the millenials who have no use for such things, and depending on the industry you work in, can get you noticed. (Just don't have a more expensive watch than your boss does!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:55 AM

8,142 posts, read 7,466,203 times
I have a hand me down Rolex that I have no idea how much it cost.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:55 PM

330 posts, read 244,703 times
My wife bought me a Tag about 10 years ago, really an excellent everyday watch. I wouldn't have paid that much but it was a great gift I've really enjoyed. I was getting the battery changed the other day, they had a display of Citizen Satellite Wave watches that looked great, functional but attractive. I don't collect watches, the rate this Tag is lasting it may be awhile before I buy another watch...

Old 08-12-2018, 05:09 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,717,097 times
Haven't worn one in decades.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,816,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
What brand wrist watches you guys wear and how much you spend on it?
(Down to) three mechanical, one fitness, one solar powered from Japan. That's plenty. I have a bunch of neat quartz, too, from Cartier and others that need to be sold or donated for $100 or so each kind of thing...

The mechancials are on a winder, a triple. Bigger than that starts to become a pain...the winder is actually a piece of furniture.

The fitness is a Garmin Fenix 5x Sapphire. It is at this writing the very last word in Garmin devices and could navigate me anywhere on earth, but I'm a big man and it looks great on me on black. I bought a black band on eBay for low cost. The unit itself wasn't cheap, but collects plenty of telemetry from my activities. I'm under utilizing it, which reminds me I need to take a walk in a minute.

I wear that when at home, and casually: sees the most wrist time. Good to track my calories burned, all that beams to Garmin's site automatically.

Next is the solar-powered, JPN market only Casio. Man, that one is sharp looking. It's my Armageddon watch, will never run out of juice. Doesn't see enough wrist time and doe need to stay in the light more often than not. Atomic sync. Absolutely gorgeous and really simple (time, day, date).

Next is my Rolex GMT Master II Batman. Blue and black, bought about a year ago when I saw what was happening to that market. Stands for itself, this is a famous watch (along with the Hulk, Kermit, and a few other interesting Rolex models). Discontinued, I do believe, and appreciating in value. Will probably be worth a ton in 10-20 years; I'll still have it. Traded in a 10 y.o. DateJust I used to wear to fund it plus another $6K or so.

Next is my Omega DeVille 2006 Winter Olympics commemorative. Gorgeous chronometer. Needed repair under warranty couple times when new 2006-8, but they got it right during a tune up in 2013. I'm leery of Omega as a result. Doesn't see much wrist time, but damn it's striking.

Last is my dad's mechanical Seiko from the early 1970s. Not sure what to do with it, but had it repaired in 2008. He passed a couple years later. Thinking I'll keep it.

That's all I need. Held a gun to my head, I'd keep (in order) Batman, the Fenix 5x, and the JPN Casio. The Batman is awesome for business travel, due to triple time zones which I actually use for quick reference, and is by-far the classiest these days of no suits and ties at work. That's my real end-of-the-world watch, perhaps!

Old 08-12-2018, 07:42 PM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Timex Ironman....I go through them about one a year. Many years ago, one of them was a Velcro band and at its end, while teaching underwater, it just fell off my wrist because the chlorine had eaten through the stitching.

It is digital but for the past 2 years or so, I have thought about getting an analog watch because with my bifocal mask, I am having a hard time reading my instrumentation. As it is, I can read the digital underwater, but either have to look through the lowest part of my mask or shine a dive light on it or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Is none of the above a suitable response?

I gave up wearing watches about the time I got my first smart phone. I consider them about as necessary as getting the daily newspaper delivered. Something else I stopped doing about 10 years ago.

I do own a Tag and an antique pocket watch. I just never wear them anymore.

But I get it. Some people still like wearing watches.

Try using a smart phone in my environment.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 PM

204 posts, read 69,003 times
Watches are fun but I see that a lot of people aren't wearing them as a fashion staple like they were years ago.

I've got a Cartier Roadster, white ceramic Chanel J12, and Hermes double tour. All just fashion watches, nothing exotic or expensive.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 25 days ago)

555 posts, read 197,095 times
The day I look at a cellphone for the time is probably the day before I die. I have a “few” nice watches, some purchased new, others, used and when I get another one out to wear, I fall in love with it all over again. Rolex, Zenith, IWC, Ball, Seiko, Baume & Mercier and even an inexpensive Dan Henry. They’re all my favorites among equals. Lol

Old 08-12-2018, 09:04 PM

973 posts, read 352,589 times
I prefer 3 well known brands......Bulova, Seiko, and Pulsar. Anything more expensive than those brands,IMO, is a waste of good money.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 PM

892 posts, read 473,425 times
Steel Rolex Datejust/Oyster with a black face and roman numerals.

I bought it in 2007 for $5000. Back then when I was younger I bought so much bullsht designer stuff, wasted so much money. However the watch was a good investment as I see new models of the one I bought for over $7,000 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or