U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:31 AM

866 posts, read 401,293 times

Advertisements

The 70s were a good time for watches. (sorry) As a teenager that was when my interest in watches started. The watch I bought with my first tax-paying job money was a Seiko Quartz stainless steel diver watch for $160, which was lot for a kid. I thought it was so cool that is had a 300M rating. When I lost that watch about 15 years later, I was gutted.

In the 70's as well digital watches were the cool new technology, first the glowing red numbers like a Texas Instruments calculator. They were expensive in today's dollars, probably equivalent to $500. A few years later the black LCD looked so futuristic, were cheaper and more efficient. It's stuff that's seen as antiquated now, but watches will always be around, if you include smartwatches.

I go through months where I don't wear a watch at all so I'm getting out of the habit. But, I'll always have at least one running, half way decent timepiece to wear now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 AM

758 posts, read 223,874 times
is this a good ole boyz thang? wristwatches mean what in male parlance? i don't wear a wristwatch and i don't carry a cell phone..... time has no meaning to me now that i'm so old, i live each day as it comes and if i didn't enjoy that day, that's on me.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:52 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,944,191 times
I rarely wear a watch because l carry a cell phone, there's a clock in my car, on the computer and just about everywhere. When I do wear one it's a silver bracelet type from Chico's.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:26 AM

3,723 posts, read 6,727,867 times
None. Put it away decades ago.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:34 AM

830 posts, read 243,712 times
Iíve been wearing a FitBit Charge HR for about a year. I have a couple different Citizen Eco-Drives and really like them, no batteries, no winding, reliable so far. I won one watch as a prize, a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Phases de Lune. Iíve only worn that twice I think.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:45 AM

1,828 posts, read 780,568 times
I have a few watches, but nothing crazy exciting. I never wore a watch until I started selling jewelry. And I will admit that I wear my fitbit more than I wear my watches these days lol

My favorite is my mirror faced Movado. I instantly fell in love with it.

I also have these two Movado's and a few Citizen Eco-Drives. Those eco-drives last forever and were our biggest sellers.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:45 AM

3,608 posts, read 1,526,716 times
I still don't understand why you would give up your wristwatch (checking the time takes a small discreet rotation of your wrist and one glance) for telling time with your phone (fish it out of your pocket, awaken it, read the time, put back in pocket). Like so many things the gadget-obsessed are fond of, it's actually a considerable step backwards.

I always tell people that if I have to pull my timepiece out of my pocket to tell the time, it had better have a heavily chased solid gold hunter case and a heavy matching gold chain with a beautiful enameled fob with the insignia of my lodge.

As far as wrist watches I hate the multi-dials "look at me, I'm a rally driver or adventure pilot - no, wait, just another middle class cubicle jockey after all" look. For normal everyday wear, since I do often work on (clean) mechanical equipment, a plain stainless steel Seiko does the job. If I am really going to go fancy I have a 1960s Longines Admiral that (to me) exudes class and is totally non-gaudy. For running I have a $20 Wal-mart Timex that's got to be 30 years old, looks lousy but still works.

No digital, I know how to tell time and the traditional clock face gives you a lot more information with a quick glance than a digital readout. Same way the traditional mounting of gauges in race cars was so that the needles were all straight up when normal. Quick glance - all needles straight up? OK! No need to look at each one individually and process whether its position is OK or not.

Last edited by turf3; 08-13-2018 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,444 posts, read 50,699,085 times
Fitbit Blaze, watch but also exercise tracker, and displays text messages without having to pull out my phone.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 AM

8,077 posts, read 3,903,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I still don't understand why you would give up your wristwatch (checking the time takes a small discreet rotation of your wrist and one glance) for telling time with your phone (fish it out of your pocket, awaken it, read the time, put back in pocket). Like so many things the gadget-obsessed are fond of, it's actually a considerable step backwards.
I don't like anything on my wrist. And pulling out my phone really isn't that much of an effort. Besides, like someone else mentioned, clocks are so readily available, that finding out the time is rarely a challenge.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,171,362 times
had a Movado "museum watch" for years - gave it to my son. now use my iPhone instead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or