U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:24 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

Two words: under wire. Hike up the “girls”.

I agree about hair color. Mine has gone mousy drab unless I get it highlighted.
I have eyes that are very sensitive to makeup too. I like Nutrogena tinted moisturizer. It’s light and doesn’t bother my eyes. The sunscreen in it is supposed to protect the skin from aging, but truthfully, that ship has sailed for me. Mascara and eyeliner, and lipstick and I’m presentable.

I try to wear tops in colors that liven up my eyes and complexion, and I like to wear interesting earrings. I figure if I can’t be gorgeous anymore, at least I can be eccentric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:42 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not sure why you feel you look older than your years, since you did not pinpoint anything.

If you feel your problem is your skin, then I advise seeing a dermatologist and getting advice about skin care. You probably could use a mole check anyway, right?

Your hair should grow out in a couple of months. In the meantime ask around for recs for stylists. If you dye your hair, either pay to get a super job, or go gray. I canít tell you how aging dry, brittle, dyed hair is.

Wear sunscreen and sunglasses.

Work out, at least a little every week.

And, IMO as a 70+ woman, it is better to try for your best look, not your youngest. We really canít fool anyone about our age. Even with a smooth face, posture or movement will tell the tale. And 5 lbs is nothing! I wish I only had 5 lbs to lose. In many cases a full face is better looking on older women anyway.

For clothes try Chicos or J.Jill for younger styles. And donít forget NYDJ.

To me, Chicos screams "OLDER WOMAN ON THE LOOSE!" lol But maybe it's just that my style is rather casual, and Chicos always strikes me as "I'm going on a cruise" kind of clothes.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM

5,796 posts, read 2,151,295 times
My thoughts~~

First OFF I am pushing 70 and other than OCCASIONAL use of eyeliner.. or blush.. Makeup was not ever a priority in my personal care regiment. I actually worked more on keeping the SKIN healthy.. whether it was moisturizer or treating blemishes..

To DATE.. Sure I have aged physically..however,my persona and social abilities somehow negate that AGING/ OLD LADY and they see a fun/friendly impression is how people perceive me.

I do NOT give a CARE about my appearances when incomes to aging.. I wear it well and am NOT embarrassed by it. It's like a badge honour! LOL

When I was pre-teen.. I always looked older... Not surfier it was to appearance or howI carried myself... In the end.. perceptions by strangers only basically respond on one's energy anyhow they present themselves.. Beauty and appearances do NOT translate to anything IF not backed with personality and ability to be interactive with others in a NICE way!

Remember.. Beauty is ONLY SKIN DEEP!! It's one's energy you project that matters!!

Last edited by Lyndarn; 08-16-2018 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 03:00 PM

3,425 posts, read 2,121,646 times
I agree, hair color and updated glasses frames are two things that are easy to change. Also make sure your color isn't one dimensional. Natural-looking highlights really make a difference.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:09 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
Long hair can make you look younger IMO. Also, the hair color. Grey makes you look much older.

Try to get in better shape. Have good posture and having pride in your appearance always helps.

Don't wear old people clothes but don't try to hard to look young either. There is a fine line - you can look classy and stylish at age 50.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:19 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,759,379 times
every slim lady in my area walks first thing in the a.m. and last thing at night.
just walking
and no smoking, of course
knock off or down the sugar and caffeine in the house
treat yourself occasionaly
get a younger boyfriend...ÖÖ...

Old 08-16-2018, 03:47 PM

1,288 posts, read 288,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
^

What's often missing in women as they age is contrast--between complexion and hair color. Aging skin tends to pale. Blondes often look better with a hair shade that's not so light
I totally agree with this. I saw an article in a magazine a few years ago showing about 6 celebrities with blonde hair in one pic and darker hair in another. With the exception of 1, ALL of them looked better with the darker shade.

Since then, I stopped lightening my hair. I use the lowlight color my colorist used to cover gray in between the highlights. She just paints in on my roots. It is a warm light/medium brown. I have red undertones in my original hair color. I have never gotten more compliments on my hair color than I do now. As you age, people who have lightened their hair a lot have hair that looks dry and unhealthy.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Another thing I did was stop using powder to set my makeup. I use a little powder blush but I think powder on your whole face ages you, too.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:57 PM

5,156 posts, read 2,992,030 times
I use a skin enhancer with retinol and it provides just the touch of a shine that makes my skin look more youthful. And I've switched to earth tones in my makeup working towards a more natural look. I think at my age less is more.

And I've discovered that adding a smile and an attitude to match goes a long ways towards enhancing my looks as well as how I feel.

I don't worry about it and spend my emotional energy working on acceptance of my natural aging process. Some days that's easier than others but attitude has a lot to do with how you are perceived by others.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 PM

Also, people have asked me which skin cream to use. To me it's more important that you use a skin cream than which one you use. That said, I just started using a L'Occitane anti aging formula that I really like. It's this: https://usa.loccitane.com/divine-eye...31.htm#s=86161. We toured the plant recently and it is a newer product made from a yellow flowering plant that never dies. The texture is really nice. Also, I know this maybe sounds gross but I don't wash my face twice a day like I used to. I am on hormone blockers which mimic menopause. My skin rarely has always been dry but now is even dryer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or