U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:03 AM

4,104 posts, read 1,718,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
those cats-eye frames are sexy
And no.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 06:54 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
A lot has to do with the way you carry yourself. How is your posture? Is your hair too dark? You said you are a brunette; I know a few brunettes that keep their hair very dark because that's what they had when they were 20. As we age our hair color needs to lighten up a little. Don't wear dark lipstick, too much make-up or too much perfume.

How do you dress? Do you have a friend that can give you some help here if needed? Try getting a makeover at a department store, some do not only make-up but clothing suggestions. Someone suggested Chico's but I found 90% of their clothing for the over 70 crowd. You're not even 60 yet, don't dress like a grandma would dress. What kind of shoes are you wearing? My mother's friend always wore therapeutic type shoes because of RA and it screamed "I am old" even when she was in her 40's.

One of my favorite books was called "How Not To Look Old". Not sure if it's still out there but I got it about 10 years ago and it still has some good advice. You didn't mention if you have a lot of wrinkles but if you do and can afford some Botox go for it. If you don't have many wrinkles take good care of your skin. My mom is 83 and has the skin of a 55-60 year old because she has always stayed out of the son and moisturized several times a day.

Have fun finding a new look for yourself.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:08 AM

4,395 posts, read 1,493,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
My thoughts~~

First OFF I am pushing 70 and other than OCCASIONAL use of eyeliner.. or blush.. Makeup was not ever a priority in my personal care regiment. I actually worked more on keeping the SKIN healthy.. whether it was moisturizer or treating blemishes..

To DATE.. Sure I have aged physically..however,my persona and social abilities somehow negate that AGING/ OLD LADY and they see a fun/friendly impression is how people perceive me.

I do NOT give a CARE about my appearances when incomes to aging.. I wear it well and am NOT embarrassed by it. It's like a badge honour! LOL

When I was pre-teen.. I always looked older... Not surfier it was to appearance or howI carried myself... In the end.. perceptions by strangers only basically respond on one's energy anyhow they present themselves.. Beauty and appearances do NOT translate to anything IF not backed with personality and ability to be interactive with others in a NICE way!

Remember.. Beauty is ONLY SKIN DEEP!! It's one's energy you project that matters!!

That's all fine. You're happy in your skin. That's great.

However, OP isn't. So she was asking for pointers. It's all good.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:33 AM

34,571 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
To me, Chicos screams "OLDER WOMAN ON THE LOOSE!" lol But maybe it's just that my style is rather casual, and Chicos always strikes me as "I'm going on a cruise" kind of clothes.
Chico’s always makes me think, “Cougartown”.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:40 AM

4,395 posts, read 1,493,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Chico’s always makes me think, “Cougartown”.

Cougartown wishful thinking. LOL

Old 08-17-2018, 08:40 AM

172 posts, read 67,266 times
I love the minimal makeup line "Boom" by Cindy Joseph. It really does take years off my face.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 3,390,521 times
ALL great tips and sound advice here as well.

Here's mine. Develop a good attitude about life, yourself and the world at large (yes, this may be difficult as we live in troubled times) always, always try to be happy and smile, even if you have to remind yourself to do so.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 AM

4,104 posts, read 1,718,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
A lot has to do with the way you carry yourself. How is your posture? Is your hair too dark? You said you are a brunette; I know a few brunettes that keep their hair very dark because that's what they had when they were 20. As we age our hair color needs to lighten up a little. Don't wear dark lipstick, too much make-up or too much perfume.

How do you dress? Do you have a friend that can give you some help here if needed? Try getting a makeover at a department store, some do not only make-up but clothing suggestions. Someone suggested Chico's but I found 90% of their clothing for the over 70 crowd. You're not even 60 yet, don't dress like a grandma would dress. What kind of shoes are you wearing? My mother's friend always wore therapeutic type shoes because of RA and it screamed "I am old" even when she was in her 40's.

One of my favorite books was called "How Not To Look Old". Not sure if it's still out there but I got it about 10 years ago and it still has some good advice. You didn't mention if you have a lot of wrinkles but if you do and can afford some Botox go for it. If you don't have many wrinkles take good care of your skin. My mom is 83 and has the skin of a 55-60 year old because she has always stayed out of the son and moisturized several times a day.

Have fun finding a new look for yourself.
Yes!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM

2,609 posts, read 1,114,900 times
Get your jowls and loose neck skin pulled up. Eye-lift.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM

18,864 posts, read 12,481,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Get your jowls and loose neck skin pulled up. Eye-lift.
This is what I would do for myself, if I wanted to spend the money. But I can’t justify it. I’d rather travel and do some charitable giving.

But if I was wealthy enough, I’d have work done on my chin, and have some lipo done.

But even if OP does not have the discretionary income to do this, there are things she can do to look better.

And, I might be wrong, but isn’t Botox more affordable now? So that might be an option. She could ask a dermatologist about it, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or