U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 06:47 AM

496 posts, read 221,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
2. Stay hydrated. Drink 10 eight oz. glasses of water per week.
That's just a little more than one glass per day. Water must be awfully expensive in your neck of the woods ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 09:57 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,253,606 times
I'll add about hair color. I've had many compliments on my hair color for many years. This seems odd to me, since it's not professionally done. But I've been stopped in stores by other women, asking for my hair color. Just recently, a man passing by me said I had beautiful hair.

I color my own hair. This means I can do it at any time and whether I have a budget issue or not. I spend maybe $30 a year on hair color? I even use my own tools (a clean toothbrush I cut & modified for applying color). I use only a few tablespoons of color mixed with equal amt of peroxide, so one box of color lasts a while.

Home hair color is gentler, IMO. This of course means it fades more quickly. For me, that's a good thing. As it fades, I get strands of lighter color....highlights without doing highlights. I have to do my roots every 3 weeks. I ONLY do roots. I never apply color all over my hair month after month. My procedure makes sure the color gets to the previously colored hair.

It's not necessary to spend a fortune on hair coloring. I've done it at home for decades, using inexpensive color, but those that damage the hair the least. I used to use the cheapo Clairol Balsam. It was discontinued, so I'm using Nice N'Easy color right now.

I have a procedure I developed over the years. If you want tips on hair coloring, you can do a separate post on that.

Although I'm over 60, I have long straight hair, all one length. It's shiny, with tiny highlights & dark lights. I wish I had wavy, fuller hair, but I've learned not to fight what I naturally have. I don't mind if I have a gray strand that shows here and there. But the hair color generally will be a slightly different shade on the gray strands than on my naturally darker brown strands, IF the color isn't too dark. The trick to natural color, I think, is to stay within your natural color family, only a tad lighter & with very subtle highlights.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:19 AM

72,695 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
If you wear eyeglasses....please keep them updated....
decades old frames are very aging, IMO.
That really depends on the choice of frames, not the era, so much. Some contemporary frames aren't flattering at all. The trick is to find a vendor with truly a wide variety of choices, not stock that caters to the current fad.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM

1,313 posts, read 293,260 times
Has anyone figured out a fix for your neck? I think my neck looks worse than my face, especially since I had radiation on one side of it which REALLY ages it.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:47 AM

9,844 posts, read 5,722,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That really depends on the choice of frames, not the era, so much. Some contemporary frames aren't flattering at all. The trick is to find a vendor with truly a wide variety of choices, not stock that caters to the current fad.
Contemporary frame styles are thick and big. Hate.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:47 AM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not sure why you feel you look older than your years, since you did not pinpoint anything.

If you feel your problem is your skin, then I advise seeing a dermatologist and getting advice about skin care. You probably could use a mole check anyway, right?

Your hair should grow out in a couple of months. In the meantime ask around for recs for stylists. If you dye your hair, either pay to get a super job, or go gray. I canít tell you how aging dry, brittle, dyed hair is.

Wear sunscreen and sunglasses.

Work out, at least a little every week.

And, IMO as a 70+ woman, it is better to try for your best look, not your youngest. We really canít fool anyone about our age. Even with a smooth face, posture or movement will tell the tale. And 5 lbs is nothing! I wish I only had 5 lbs to lose. In many cases a full face is better looking on older women anyway.

For clothes try Chicos or J.Jill for younger styles. And donít forget NYDJ.
The bolded X 10.

Women who try to look younger generally look like they are trying to look younger.

Look YOUR best, your healthiest.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:01 AM

9,844 posts, read 5,722,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The bolded X 10.

Women who try to look younger generally look like they are trying to look younger.

Look YOUR best, your healthiest.
I totally agree. But many women I know think they have to strive for youth and seek validation that they look younger than their age. I am open to having silver hair if it looks good with my complexion, as my mom's did on her.

Something about mature women is just cool to me, why cover that up. I like the idea of embracing it and not trying to hide it, but working with what is.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I totally agree. But many women I know think they have to strive for youth and seek validation that they look younger than their age. I am open to having silver hair if it looks good with my complexion, as my mom's did on her.

Something about mature women is just cool to me, why cover that up. I like the idea of embracing it and not trying to hide it, but working with what is.
Exactly! I still color my hair, and I go a lighter shade than the reddish brown I had most of my life, because it's half brown and half gray. Mousy and tweedy. When it goes all or mostly gray, I probably will just let it be gray. I'm a bit jealous of my older sister, who was blonde and then went pure white.

There's this woman I see in my local supermarket who looks like something out of a horror movie. She must be in her 70s, and her hair is dyed jet black. She wears very heavy makeup with bright colored eye shadow and liner and thick black eyelashes, blush on her cheeks, and bright lipstick, all of which just emphasizes the lines on her face by the contrast. It is obvious that she is hanging on to a look that may have worked for her 40 or 50 years ago.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:33 AM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly! I still color my hair, and I go a lighter shade than the reddish brown I had most of my life, because it's half brown and half gray. Mousy and tweedy. When it goes all or mostly gray, I probably will just let it be gray. I'm a bit jealous of my older sister, who was blonde and then went pure white.

There's this woman I see in my local supermarket who looks like something out of a horror movie. She must be in her 70s, and her hair is dyed jet black. She wears very heavy makeup with bright colored eye shadow and liner and thick black eyelashes, blush on her cheeks, and bright lipstick, all of which just emphasizes the lines on her face by the contrast. It is obvious that she is hanging on to a look that may have worked for her 40 or 50 years ago.
Between the lady in the supermarket with unnatural jet black hair, and letting one's hair go grey (or white in my case) there are a whole spectrum of "aging choices" that are available to most women today.

I was just answering the question "how to look younger" for 50+ women. Most of us DO want to look somewhat younger - which does not mean that we want to look 21. Or 31. At least for me, that is not my goal.

It's possible now to have nice skin, never experience a double chin or a slack jaw, tired looking eyes and harshly dyed or grey hair - without breaking the bank or looking like Joan Rivers.

In my case, I am young at heart. I am not going to be a grandma for a very, very long time, if ever. Looking younger and relevant is important to what I do. Since I don't have grandkids, and I had my children later, my friends tend to be ten years younger - or late starters as I am.

Everyone's different. I know of a woman with a long grey braid, sapphire blue eyes, who wears little make up, is very tall and rocks the flowy clothes hippie look very well! It's not my look, but she looks wonderful in it! It is intentional, though. She just didn't "let herself go".

However "letting yourself go" is an option at any age. It will never be my choice, though.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Between the lady in the supermarket with unnatural jet black hair, and letting one's hair go grey (or white in my case) there are a whole spectrum of "aging choices" that are available to most women today.

I was just answering the question "how to look younger" for 50+ women. Most of us DO want to look somewhat younger - which does not mean that we want to look 21. Or 31. At least for me, that is not my goal.

It's possible now to have nice skin, never experience a double chin or a slack jaw, tired looking eyes and harshly dyed or grey hair - without breaking the bank or looking like Joan Rivers.

In my case, I am young at heart. I am not going to be a grandma for a very, very long time, if ever. Looking younger and relevant is important to what I do. Since I don't have grandkids, and I had my children later, my friends tend to be ten years younger - or late starters as I am.

Everyone's different. I know of a woman with a long grey braid, sapphire blue eyes, who wears little make up, is very tall and rocks the flowy clothes hippie look very well! It's not my look, but she looks wonderful in it! It is intentional, though. She just didn't "let herself go".

However "letting yourself go" is an option at any age. It will never be my choice, though.
Well, I am definitely never going to be a grandmother, sheena, so we can hang out and do un-old-lady stuff together! I will probably go the old-hippie look myself, if you don't mind. Where I now spend about half my time (which is not New Jersey, where I spend the other half), it seems quite common.

Of course I agree with you that there is lots of latitude in between someone desperately trying to look decades younger and someone letting themselves go. I thought I was pretty clear about that. I think the first priority should be getting oneself as healthy as possible. The looks will follow naturally.

Weight is so often an aging factor. In my last few years commuting to the city by train, I began to notice more and more women my age--or younger--walking with canes. They were almost always significantly overweight, which contributes to bad knees and bad hips, and once walking is limited, so is the exercise necessary for taking off weight, so it's a vicious cycle. One of those women is a former coworker who is five years younger than I am. She has put on a great deal of weight in her fifties, and now her knee is blown out and she's hobbling along with a cane--at only 55 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or