Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 12:53 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this, and do you think do fashion designers (particularly higher end brands) design for themselves or the general consumer? I was thinking about this, and how they target the customer that follows them like sheep (look at all the tight-fitting clothes sitting on shelves, while the more limited inventory of more realistic fits sell out). The high-end designers seem to be designing for themselves and the customers that follow them like sheep, rather than the general consumer it seems like. At least the brand that I buy has the consumer in mind.

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 12:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
They design for their muse and life aspiration

Old 12-24-2018, 01:20 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I guess it depends on the "market" they want to reach!

Old 12-25-2018, 07:04 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Do fashion designers design for themselves or the consumer?
Yes.

If you consider fashion as art, then there needs to be some degree of inspiration and designing what the artist finds pleasing or satisfying.

But at the end of the day, they want to make sales.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:37 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
To make their "name" they design eye-catching fashions, best shown off on young, thin, tall models not the average woman's body which I believe is now size 14 or 16. The big buyers of these designer clothes are very wealthy women and the clothes are expensive and custom fit to them. Eventually copies of these clothes get made and sold to less wealthy women.

To make money selling clothes actually requires a lot more talent because it needs to look flattering on an average woman as well as looking fresh and new and young women thinking "I MUST BUY THIS" because it looks interesting and not something they already own. Target serves this woman along with other similar stores.

Young women are the biggest fashion buyers, which is good for designers because they are thinner and need a lot of clothes.

Some designers have 2 lines of clothing, the high end and a lower cost consumer end. Others specialize in a certain area. I don't think Chanel does a low end (although they are copied with fakes a lot).

Old 12-25-2018, 09:53 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
To make their "name" they design eye-catching fashions, best shown off on young, thin, tall models not the average woman's body which I believe is now size 14 or 16. The big buyers of these designer clothes are very wealthy women and the clothes are expensive and custom fit to them. Eventually copies of these clothes get made and sold to less wealthy women.

To make money selling clothes actually requires a lot more talent because it needs to look flattering on an average woman as well as looking fresh and new and young women thinking "I MUST BUY THIS" because it looks interesting and not something they already own. Target serves this woman along with other similar stores.

Young women are the biggest fashion buyers, which is good for designers because they are thinner and need a lot of clothes.

Some designers have 2 lines of clothing, the high end and a lower cost consumer end. Others specialize in a certain area. I don't think Chanel does a low end (although they are copied with fakes a lot).
While they don't have a true low end line, Ralph Lauren has Chaps to cover the mid-range. With PVH's brands, IZOD fills the mid-range void for Tommy Hilfiger.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:59 AM

24 posts, read 12,394 times
I think designers make what comes to their creative minds. Their personalities play a part in this and so whatever they create follow a certain pattern that communicates something to whoever sees the design. A designer’s personality or what he/she feels at the moment can make him/her design clothes that communicate either elegance, joy, power, strength, or even simplicity.

So I think they design for themselves, yes; but the designs mean something more than clothes to those who see and want to buy. This means that in a way they’ve also designed for the consumer.

Last edited by Denverlove; 12-25-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-25-2018, 01:54 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
I think they design to be validated by the industry. Honestly, what is considered “high-fashion” doesn’t really look good on anybody; even the 16-year-old anorexics.

I used to model & I remember being glad that I didn’t do runway because I would have had a hard time keeping a straight face.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:59 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
They design for daft folk with money who will pay any price to have the latest labels on their clothes no matter how ridiculous they look... some of these so called designers look for ideas that grab attention whether they should be worn is another thing..

Old 12-25-2018, 08:20 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I think they follow trends, but are at the forefront of the trend, a year or so ahead of the average consumer.

A few outstanding designers create trends, but they are often an homage to an earlier fashion, or a reaction to a recent trend. Think Dior's New Look, which used lots of fabric, following the rationing of the war years.

And skirts, long...short...long...short. A big change from last year, but not really new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty