Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 PM

987 posts, read 773,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
My wig came and it looks terrible. Too blonde for me, and I think too long. *sigh*.

I can't afford professional facials, but I have been trying to so stuff at home - steaming, masks, etc. I don't mind splurging on good skin care since that lasts awhile if I could find a line that works for me. My skin is a wreck - dry, but with occassional breakouts, sensitive. I have very few wrinkles on my face, though.

Yeah, I strongly agree about diet. My diet is not good, and being on a budget, it is sometimes hard to fill my cart with all healthy things.
You can cut the wig very easily, but dying wig hair is impossible unless it is real human hair. Halloween is coming. I would look in a store for the shade of wig you want and return the one you just got or resell it

Tea bags and other home remedies can be used for dry skin. Google home remedy facial for dry skin, there are plenty of home remedies for dry skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,745,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, this. I didn't mean 56 can look like 36. Although I expect that can happen, too. What I meant, and sorry if it didn't come across that way, is that half a century ago 56 was often a tired, worn-out woman who'd had too many children and worked too hard - and looked it. That's not the case at all today.
That's me, lol! Minus the kids...

I look TIRED. And puffy for some reason. Probably too much salt?

Also, I know it sounds cliche, but I do think happiness is the fountain of youth. I have aged a lot since experiencing the loss of a loved one I think because I have been sad. It ages you.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 AM

18,471 posts, read 18,618,896 times
Dont ever wear face powder it ages the face more than any other makeup.. same with powdery eye shadows. and powder blusher, avoid avoid......

Old 09-25-2018, 08:39 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,524,394 times
Actually fat people look younger as they age than thin people. Just get fat if you want to look younger.

Not sure why you want to look younger. My wife is in her 50s and she is beautiful just as she is. If the looked 36 it would be weird.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,745,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Actually fat people look younger as they age than thin people. Just get fat if you want to look younger.

Not sure why you want to look younger. My wife is in her 50s and she is beautiful just as she is. If the looked 36 it would be weird.
Mostly because I am in the workforce. I was looking for better opportunities and I am certain my age and appearance are the main factors in not getting called back.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:22 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,524,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Mostly because I am in the workforce. I was looking for better opportunities and I am certain my age and appearance are the main factors in not getting called back.
If I was interviewing someone who from their resume was obviously in their middle 50s and they came in looking like there were 36. I would think this is a person too obsessed with their appearance and not enough with their profession. Also experience counts for a lot, at least in what we do. If you are interviewing for positions where experience is irrelevant it might be beneficial to look like you fell into the fountain of youth last week, specially if it is an appearance based job like waitress at Hooters.

I know people my age who are concerned about applying for professional positions because they may be seen as too close to retirement to provide much service to a company int he long term. That might be an illegal consideration (not sure) but it is one you cannot hide. Does you resume not say when you went to high school and/or college? Does it not show decades f work experience? Even if it does not word choices, writing style even the resume layout and cover letter greeting and sign-off terminology will usually reveal your general age bracket. I really do not think you can fool a potential employer of any kind into believing you are 36 if you are really 56.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,402,165 times
Not sure if someone already suggested this, but have you tried yoga? Regular practitioners of yoga often look so naturally youthful and healthy.

Part of this, in my opinion, is that some women as they enter middle age, move less, become less flexible, gain some weight and get a matronly appearance. I think yoga could possibly help a lot in combating a matronly look.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM

50,136 posts, read 63,553,972 times
The only way to look younger is good genes and to take good care of your body. We have no control of the first, but we do have control of the second.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 AM

18,471 posts, read 18,618,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

fat makes a woman look matronly and older.. dont kid yourself..

Old 09-26-2018, 08:57 AM

17,490 posts, read 38,955,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
fat makes a woman look matronly and older.. dont kid yourself..
I agree, however I do feel that a FEW extra pounds can make a difference in the face looking younger. By a few I mean maybe up to 10 pounds. I am tall (5'8") and I was very overweight (200 lbs) several years ago. I lost down to 140 but put 10 back on this year and everyone thinks I look ideal at this weight. I do not look in the least fat, but I look nicely filled out, and have been told my face looks better too (I always had a thin face). Key is to get to a healthy weight where one looks and feels good and keep some muscle tone. I do light workouts daily.

OP, it is understandable if you look tired and puffy because of losing a loved one. Grief takes its toll like no other. You will probably have to give it time and do the best you can for your health - physical, mental and spiritual. Drink plenty of water (you may be dehydrated), get exercise and get plenty of rest. Being healthy goes a long way toward looking good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty