Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:48 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,728,550 times

Advertisements

Companion thread....

My feelings are if men want to look younger, they need to update their clothing styles as times change.
Wearing items from years past keeps them looking aged...

Wearing a gray moustache or beard is very aging, a clean shaven face is much younger looking.

Wearing mullets, comb overs, scruffy long hair....all make a guy appear older than they are...shorter hair is "in" right now.

What do you think, ladies?

Last edited by greatblueheron; 02-21-2019 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 PM

18,938 posts, read 43,305,781 times
I’m 39, and I find when my hair is buzzed close to the skin, people often think I’m younger than my age. And if I wear a baseball sometimes I’ll still even get carded when I buy alcohol.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiloui View Post
Men like women can update their look and appear a little younger, but 70 is 70 and you can look really handsome, but not necessarily younger.

Depends on what you wear and your hairstyles. If you continue wearing clothing and hairstyles from 2000 you'll look oldér than those who update a few clothing pieces and who have hair cut to current styles. Same as for women.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM

10,293 posts, read 10,535,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Depends on what you wear and your hairstyles. If you continue wearing clothing and hairstyles from 2000 you'll look oldér than those who update a few clothing pieces and who have hair cut to current styles. Same as for women.

Now I'm wondering if my hairstyle is from 2000. How would I know? Maybe I should post a selfie and people could let me know.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 AM

29,652 posts, read 34,150,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Now I'm wondering if my hairstyle is from 2000. How would I know? Maybe I should post a selfie and people could let me know.
Have you changed your look at all in the past 20 years? Often you see people, men and women, who seemingly just "stopped" updating their appearance in high school or soon after they got married or whatever. I work with a woman my own age who still does her hair the way people did when we were in college.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:58 AM

24,056 posts, read 10,384,550 times
Quote:
Companion thread....

My feelings are if men want to look younger, they need to update their clothing styles as times change.

Wearing a gray moustache or beard is very aging, a clean shaven face is much younger looking.

Wearing mullets, comb overs, scruffy long hair....all make a guy appear older than they are...shorter hair is "in" right now.

That is your personal impression.

SO let "the fur grow" while he was not at work for about eight weeks. Then he trimmed and shaped a silver white beard and a mop of curly hair. Add a Chinch Shark shirt, black vest, tight black jeans, strutting boots and a plain silver bolo to bright blue eyes and laugh wrinkles on coming out day. He gets compliments from 8 to 80 be it Wallyworld or professionals he works with who have known him forever and I enjoy every one of them. Not to mention it is soft. My personal Steiff but no earring:>(

He is too young for silver but every year with me counts as two and those are quite a few.

Please tell Lagerfeld (RIP) that long hair and grey/white is out.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:07 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,964,912 times
Quote:
Companion thread....

Guy here: I realized around four years ago that, at 38, I hadn't really updated my look since my late 20s. I don't think it was terrible but it was kind of dated and not very thought-out. So... I put a pretty fair amount of time, effort, and money into researching and creating an updated look. I paid a lot of attention to more current men's styles, what types of fits worked best on me, streamlining my wardrobe, and working with a fairly limited color scheme in order to allow myself a lot of choices without a ton of garments. It was a process that took a few years but I'm happy with where I ended up.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing certain staples, regardless of whether or not they're considered "current." Men's fashion can be kind of limiting, but I think it's a little more forgiving in the "timeless staples" department than women's fashion, speaking very broadly.

As part of the process above, I realized I was thinning on top and decided to go with a shorter, clipper-ed hairstyle and to grow out a fairly short full beard. It may make me look a little older (I have a fairly young face anyhow), especially given that it's salt-and-pepper these days, but my wife really likes how it looks, and I've grown to like it too.

At 41, I'm not worrying about desperately trying to look younger. I just try stay in shape, stay relatively stylish, and dress age-appropriately.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM

10,293 posts, read 10,535,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Have you changed your look at all in the past 20 years? Often you see people, men and women, who seemingly just "stopped" updating their appearance in high school or soon after they got married or whatever. I work with a woman my own age who still does her hair the way people did when we were in college.

I think it is mostly about staying and shape, and also being lucky about aging. I'm 63, for decades I have lifted weights and run distance races. I'm lucky that I have a full head of hair that is only slightly gray on the sides. So to answer your question, no, I haven't changed my look at all in the past 20 years. But as far as clothes, aren't jeans and a t-shirt always in style?

Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

Go ahead...women love to give their input

Old 02-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Guy here: I realized around four years ago that, at 38, I hadn't really updated my look since my late 20s. I don't think it was terrible but it was kind of dated and not very thought-out. So... I put a pretty fair amount of time, effort, and money into researching and creating an updated look. I paid a lot of attention to more current men's styles, what types of fits worked best on me, streamlining my wardrobe, and working with a fairly limited color scheme in order to allow myself a lot of choices without a ton of garments. It was a process that took a few years but I'm happy with where I ended up.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing certain staples, regardless of whether or not they're considered "current." Men's fashion can be kind of limiting, but I think it's a little more forgiving in the "timeless staples" department than women's fashion, speaking very broadly.

As part of the process above, I realized I was thinning on top and decided to go with a shorter, clipper-ed hairstyle and to grow out a fairly short full beard. It may make me look a little older (I have a fairly young face anyhow), especially given that it's salt-and-pepper these days, but my wife really likes how it looks, and I've grown to like it too.

At 41, I'm not worrying about desperately trying to look younger. I just try stay in shape, stay relatively stylish, and dress age-appropriately.
Perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty