Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 03:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Any of the Creed or Tom Ford fragrances are really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
I wear Clinique's Happy Heart. It is a flowery smell. I have been wearing it for years and have received numerous complements on it. Once my husband bought me Clinique's Happy and I hated it. So my advice is be very careful picking out your wife's perfume!

Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I like the advice about the classics. The point is surprising your wife with a fragrance that makes her feel like you put thought into it.
I would go try one of the 7 classics suggested below, plus Joy. Choose the one you like the most.

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/perf...ncis-kurkdjian

Old 08-20-2018, 07:19 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
TBH, if my husband started grilling me about what scents I like, or started hauling me into department stores to check out samples, it would be out of character and it would be a dead giveaway that I was going to be presented with a gift of perfume. I can see how if one's purpose is surprising someone with a gift, canvassing them over their preferences beforehand is not preferable. It will take away from the surprise, unless you question them about preferences, and then file it away for, like, a year later or something.

Honestly, it is best for people to avoid perfume gifts if they don't already have a really solid idea of what type of scents a person wears, going in. Lots of margin for error.
------------------------

Scents are very personal. If you don't know, don't buy it....would not want to wear a fragrance I didn't care for...

Other gifts just as thoughtful.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The best perfume for your wife is one that she likes. Perfume is a very personal thing, and what one woman thinks smells lovely another might think smells like an industrial solvent. Maybe take her perfume shopping so she can pick something that's her and you haven't wasted money on something she'll never touch.
^^^^^^^ this is the best way. Then take her to dinner at a nice place.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:31 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Most department stores will give samples of their perfumes. How about you go to your local department store, go to the perfume counter, and explain your situation. Tell the helper that you'd like to buy your wife a very nice bottle of perfume, but you're unsure what she'd like exactly.

I'm pretty sure the helper will give you some sample vials. Take them home, give them to your wife, and ask her to let you know which one she likes the best.

Of course, if it's supposed to be a surprise for your wife, this won't work. But if you want to give her what she'd really like...this would work.

One of MY favorites is Black Opium.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:46 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
If you have a Sephora nearby, you may want to consider something like the Deluxe Perfume Sampler. You get generous samples of 10 different scents, and a voucher to redeem for a full size of whichever one she likes best.

https://www.sephora.com/product/delu...429980:product

Old 08-20-2018, 08:54 AM

1,201 posts, read 802,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesoprano View Post
I want to get my wife a really nice perfume for her birthday but I want to get one of the best. If anyone could tell me the best perfumes currently on the market, I would greatly appreciate it.
Ugh - NONE! Perfumes are awful. Hopefully she doesn't work.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:57 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
And one second thing? If you don’t want to go too far astray, most women I know buy one thing from a line. You can give her the powder, the body lotion, a solid. The effect is you layer the scent.

But, for me, I’d far rather have jewelry.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you have a Sephora nearby, you may want to consider something like the Deluxe Perfume Sampler. You get generous samples of 10 different scents, and a voucher to redeem for a full size of whichever one she likes best.

https://www.sephora.com/product/delu...429980:product
This is a great idea.
I used the link provided and saw some very interesting sets. Usually products like these are only carried during Xmas at most department stores so it was great to learn about these offering.
Gotta love city data!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty