U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 04:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,194,925 times

Advertisements

University is located in farming area of the State, and I have a feeling lots of the
kids are from that local area as is the norm at most universities. What do the mothers wear to these graduations?
I hate to buy a suit or dress as I won't ever wear it again. Would pants and a jacket be okay?
Do mothers wear things like black jeans with jackets or what?
I missed my own graduation, and am clueless about what people wear now. Things used to be more formal, but you see people in church today in jeans. That's too casual, but how about black pants and a jacket? OK or not?
Help!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:08 AM

342 posts, read 1,592,888 times
I would think that black pants and a jacket would be just fine. I feel that jeans would be too casual for the occasion. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you ideas. It has been awhile since attending a college graduation. It was my own. LOL!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 AM

34,541 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Oh my God, please do not dress as if you just jumped off the lawnmower. The occasion deserves some dignity. This is a big pet peeve of mine.
Buy a very simple linen dress and maybe a cardigan sweater to throw over your shoulders...like something one would wear to church.
Are you telling me you don't ever wear a dress? If you don't, you should start.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:40 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh my God, please do not dress as if you just jumped off the lawnmower. The occasion deserves some dignity. This is a big pet peeve of mine.
Buy a very simple linen dress and maybe a cardigan sweater to throw over your shoulders...like something one would wear to church.
This is what I wore to my son's college graduation and my younger son's high school graduation--a simple linen sheath and sweater.
I got it from Coldwater Creek.
Quote:
Are you telling me you don't ever wear a dress? If you don't, you should start.
I'd never tell anyone they "should start" wearing a dress, but I agree that college graduation is an accomplishment that merits a bit more than jeans.
However, these days, you see anything and everything at these events.
Anything the least bit formal seems to sort of embarrass people.
I understand that people don't want to spend money on something that takes up room in the closet.
I am not into militant dress codes, but IMHO it's nice to display some respect for the occasion. If black pants and a jacket is the best you can do, that's fine, but think about the weather and the time of day: is it morning or evening?
These graduations can be long, sweaty affairs.
Congratulations!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,271,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I hate to buy a suit or dress as I won't ever wear it again. Would pants and a jacket be okay?
I'm with you, I don't wear dresses myself. I just don't go anywhere dressy, and would feel rather odd wearing one around the house or to the grocery store, lol. However, I just this minute dropped my oldest son's college enrollment and housing deposit in the mailbox, so with any luck I'll be attending his graduation in four years. I do think for such a special occasion a casual dress would be appropriate. You certainly don't need to get a fancy dress with sequins/velvet etc., I think that would be overkill. All that said however, I have seen some very dressy pants and jackets which might be appropriate as well, but as already mentioned, keep the weather in mind.

Hopefully once I get my dress I can wear it the following year to my daughter's college graduation, giving me the opportunity to wear it twice.

Congratulations, and good luck finding something!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 PM

324 posts, read 670,957 times
I think business-casual attire is appropriate for a college graduation. I think it would be nice to wear a dress, but you will be fine in nice slacks and a jacket. As for dresses, I love wearing them! They are pretty much all I wear during the summer because I think they a more flattering, plus they are pre-made outfits. You can just put a dress on and not worry about what else to wear with it, other than shoes of course.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 PM

Looks like I need to do me some shopping..thanks all!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,142,113 times
Tootsie - BlueWillow's suggestion of Coldwater Creek is excellent. They have very chic but understated and elegant outfits. If you are more comfortable wearing slacks, they have many selections that have elastic waists and tops that go over them, so even if you have never ordered from them, I don't think that you would have too much of a problem with fit. I have known their sizes to be true. I don't know where you are from but they also have stores at some outlets but a catalogue or their website should be fine!

Congratulations on getting one graduated!

Old 04-03-2008, 05:22 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,168,587 times
Don't wear jeans...Too cheap looking for a Graduation...

Wear a nice spring dress or skirt. Those are more appropriate.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Well, I thought a dress or a very nice pantsuit would be appropriate; but then I talked to a recent grad of U. of Il. and--much to my surprise--seems as if alot of the mothers in the Midwest (or at this graduation, anyway) wore things like khaki capri pants and a shirt. Yeah...I, too, was surprised.
I surely will take a look at Coldwater Creek. I have a girlfriend in San Francisco who wears that brand. I have never worn anything by them, but will do so now. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or