U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 05:09 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 6 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,499,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafrom97 View Post

Most people think men in skinny jeans or moderately feminine clothing (styled hair etc) looks ridiculous compared to a man in baggy jeans, dirty shoes etc..Why? What sense does that make? Is there something society has against femininity?

"looking good/posh" is subjective. What you think looks posh I might think looks ridiculous.

I don't care what people wear. I do have a preference for the men I would date and they wouldn't be feminine in any way or take longer than me to get ready
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
787 posts, read 225,615 times
Skinny jeans, at present, are an affectation based on conformity as is virtually everything else in the hipster dimension. They actually look good on far fewer people than wear them - - - - male OR female.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM

4,402 posts, read 1,498,117 times
To me, what would make an outfit ridiculous, would be wearing the wrong outfit for whatever given occasion.

For example, wearing a ball gown to an assembly line job. Or wearing a t-rex costume to a wedding. I've never cared about skinny jeans on guys OR gals one way or another. Most fashion choices don't phase me....at least not to the point of disdain.

Except...camo for weddings. I do have strong opinions about THAT. LOL

Old 09-23-2018, 09:02 AM

597 posts, read 178,017 times
Is a kilt elegant but feminine clothing?

After all, it is a skirt. It is worn for formal events by men in Scotland.

For whatever reason, everyone, even the most conservative folk, think it's not only ok for guys to wear kilts in Scotland but it actually looks classy.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 AM

2,922 posts, read 1,189,401 times
Skinny jeans = duh!

the classic look was always "unwashed levis 501" . So wash to fit and it fits snug not skinny. Look at the rock stars, RHCPeppers. The Punk Scene wore tight Levis or some skinny jeans. The greasers from the 60s wore tight white T shirts , and snug 501s, with a folded seam. Boot cut for the bikers or knuckle heads,

My jeans that I wore in the 80s were lee twills. Ironed with spray starch, or have the tailor sew in some creases. This later evolved to tapered at the bottom. All this came out from the Karate/Kung Fu flix. Slim fit, like bruce lee, and chinese shoes/slippers.

As for feminine dress, no one seemed to mind these same rockers, with wavy long hair, and blouses with ruffles. We accept them because they are entertainers. Some random Joe down the block will get made fun of. Like a short "Prince" playing basketball. Could only laugh at the sight. Its just not cool. Whats next, a man bra and male thongs?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Perhaps its a "wrong" way of thinking, but in our culture we tend to associate masculinity with men and femininity with women. A man wearing feminine clothing does not fit into this cultural understanding, which makes him a source of ridicule for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or