U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Status: "never forget 2013, the year of great elation" (set 15 days ago)

59 posts, read 19,709 times

Advertisements

It seems that from my experience, fashion is the only arena in life where "looking good/posh" is an area where you literally receive more ridicule than if you look shoddy. For example, an autistic kid who studies and obsesses over grades may be made fun of but he's secretly more respected than the guy who fails for a laugh even by those who fail. Now I don't pass judgement on anyone because not everyone can afford clothing, but let me give an example.

Most people think men in skinny jeans or moderately feminine clothing (styled hair etc) looks ridiculous compared to a man in baggy jeans, dirty shoes etc..Why? What sense does that make? Is there something society has against femininity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 10:23 AM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
Well....personally I think women in "skinny jeans" look ridiculous...as ridiculous as a man wearing them.
I see men in the barber shop all the time..
I think maybe it's YOU who's thinking that we all think like you do....we don't...I don't..
I know lots of women who prefer to wear their clothes loose (baggy jeans)...maybe you live in a big city, cause most people I know have dirt on their shoes.

Society is no more against femininity than it is against masculinity....
I believe it is only those who are very insecure and unsure of THEMSELVES that would judge either negatively.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:33 PM

8,236 posts, read 9,990,552 times
Not sure how your odd perception qualifies as a "Great Debate," but, if there is any truth to it, clothes themselves (for example, if they were on a mannequin) would likely not be considered "ridiculous". (Except, IMO, some far-fetched runway designer fashions look pretty silly, regardless of who is wearing them).

Perhaps you are referring to the general eye-rolling response of others to those attempting to appear like something they are not? ... in which case, the 'elegant' or 'shoddy' condition of their attire is probably not the issue.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:17 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,535,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafrom97 View Post
Most people think men in skinny jeans or moderately feminine clothing (styled hair etc) looks ridiculous compared to a man in baggy jeans, dirty shoes etc..Why? What sense does that make? Is there something society has against femininity?
They do? In MY experience those who think this must be some other species of human. Now if someone wearing elegant attire showed up to paint houses, sort recyclables, or work on cars it might be considered a bit odd...

Old 09-16-2018, 01:03 PM

6,149 posts, read 1,497,034 times
'Skinny jean' are just the current fad...I can pretty much guarantee, in 10 yrs skinny jeans will NOT be popular at all, baggy jeans may be back in style by then or something else entirely.

Clothing trends and fashions are ALWAYs changing.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 PM

48 posts, read 80,010 times
A woman can dress in men's clothing and walk down the street with very little attention from others because she is representing masculinity. If a man walks down the street in a feminine type of clothing then lots of looks and attention will be given ,mostly negative. I think there is a huge double standard in this . Masculinity is all encompassing and ok , femininity is only for women . Women can do martial arts , boxing ... Tradional male dominated sports. She hardly would be ridiculed. However if a man throws on ballet slippers its a huge no no and gets judged for his choice because men showing any kind of feminine behavior is "gasp"wrong. Remember at the end of the day society has determined what to be appropriate for genders to look and what's acceptable attire. Women aren't born with earrings , shaved legs, makeup ,dyed hair or pretty dresses. People should wear what the want and how that individual feels comfortable . If that makes some folks have an issue, here's a tissue, get over it. I will wear skinny jeans before I ever where anything baggy that makes me look like I'm swimming in my clothes. I do prefer something a little more In between but given the choice... Skinny over baggy

Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM

3,316 posts, read 5,308,408 times
I think for many generations our culture has viewed the feminization of men as threatening to society.

Masculine dressing women on the other hand are largely ignored because womens behavior isn't viewed as being as consequential as that of men.

Women aren't viewed as holding society together...Men are.

The view is men need to be strong leaders, objective thinkers , capable providers and protectors. While women have also proven to be all of those things as well it's not expected of them the way it is of a men.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,686,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
'Skinny jean' are just the current fad...I can pretty much guarantee, in 10 yrs skinny jeans will NOT be popular at all, baggy jeans may be back in style by then or something else entirely.

Clothing trends and fashions are ALWAYs changing.
I mean, skinny jeans started becoming a 'thing' around 2002 from my recollection. Harder to find them but they were 'in' among the more fasion-forward crowd and then everywhere by about 2004. And here we are in 2018. 14+ years later. So...

The reality is that there are less specific 'it' fads now and more a mixture of styles. Go to a women's clothing store like Free People and you will find skinny jeans, flares, bell bottoms, high waist, low rise, overalls, etc.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:44 PM

4,625 posts, read 7,188,861 times
Luckily I stick with the brands that cater to true men. Even with their pink polo shirts and button downs in their spring collections I don't think they will ever deliberately make their clothes more feminine; they want to keep their loyal customers happy.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM

2,092 posts, read 1,130,757 times
Shoddy clothing does not threaten a man's masculine status the way feminine clothing would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or