U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times

Advertisements

I have some pieces of Native American jewelry, and some sterling and amber jewelry. I am finding it very hard to keep the pieces clean. I store them in a jewelry box lined with tarnish retardant felt, but the pieces tarnish anyway. I have used the cloths that are saturated with cleaner, with mediocre results. It is hard to get small pieces clean with those.

Does anyone have an good tips or product recs for this? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 04:36 AM

7,950 posts, read 3,852,505 times
Not a cleaning rec, but preventative measure ... put a piece of chalk in your jewelry to prevent tarnishing.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:41 AM

17,281 posts, read 3,518,148 times
Don't have a brand...a cream silver polish should would work with elbow grease...

in a pinch-toothpaste works great, but not recommended for long term care. I use a soft toothbrush with a light hand, as silver is soft and could be scratched.

I have NA silver, mine get tarnished too. The only way I know to prevent is to wear it.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:59 AM

509 posts, read 130,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not a cleaning rec, but preventative measure ... put a piece of chalk in your jewelry to prevent tarnishing.
Interesting.....

Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Don't have a brand...a cream silver polish should would work with elbow grease...

in a pinch-toothpaste works great, but not recommended for long term care. I use a soft toothbrush with a light hand, as silver is soft and could be scratched.

I have NA silver, mine get tarnished too. The only way I know to prevent is to wear it.
I canít wear it every day! I will definitely put chalk in the jewelry box. Thatís a tip Iíve never heard before. I wonder if it would work in my silver flatware drawer too.

The thing is, some pieces have grooves or other detailing that make cleaning hard. I have used an old tooth rush with soft bristles and toothpaste but havenít had good results. I have cleaning cloths for silver, but getting the cloth into grooves and crevices is tedious, and not really that effective.

Does anyone ever use a toothbrush and regular silver polish?

And, does using silver polish with amber jewelry invite harm to the amber?

Old 09-12-2018, 10:11 AM

17,281 posts, read 3,518,148 times
I use a cream polish, just a standard silver cleaner, not especially for jewelry.

DON'T BUY THE SILVER DIP....it's sold as a liquid you dip the piece in and supposedly comes out clean...I've been told not to use that.

Not sure why you're having trouble...I'd call a jeweler for more ideas.
Know what you mean about small pieces...my earrings are hard to get clean.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 09-12-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 AM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
The dark in the grooves is called "patina"...it helps the decoration stand out!

Old 09-12-2018, 12:03 PM

30,377 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I use a cream polish, just a standard silver cleaner, not especially for jewelry.

DON'T BUY THE SILVER DIP....it's sold as a liquid you dip the piece in and supposedly comes out clean...I've been told not to use that.

Not sure why you're having trouble...I'd call a jeweler for more ideas.
Know what you mean about small pieces...my earrings are hard to get clean.

Though the old silverware gets polished, I've been using SILVER DIP for decades--on plain chains, both sterling and 950 silver--with no adverse effects whatsoever. A quick dip (and a follow-up water rinse to remove residue and solution) is indispensable to clean intricate chain links and texturized areas. Of course, I'm referring to silver which does not have a desireable "antiquing" or patina.

Dips should NOT, however be used with jewelry adorned with soft stones or materials such as opal or amber.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The dark in the grooves is called "patina"...it helps the decoration stand out!
Yes, but too much patina makes it look dirty. I can accept some, but some of my pieces just look dirty.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Though the old silverware gets polished, I've been using SILVER DIP for decades--on plain chains, both sterling and 950 silver--with no adverse effects whatsoever. A quick dip (and a follow-up water rinse to remove residue and solution) is indispensable to clean intricate chain links and texturized areas. Of course, I'm referring to silver which does not have a desireable "antiquing" or patina.

Dips should NOT, however be used with jewelry adorned with soft stones or materials such as opal or amber.
Alas, most of my stuff has turquoise or amber. I do havd a few chains; it might be worth it to buy dip for them. I donít want the ďpatinaĒ to rub off on a white shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or