U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:34 PM

4,631 posts, read 7,192,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Orvis. Eddie Bauer.

Taking back profit is the name of the game now. House brands not name brands. Online not brick-and-mortar.

JCPenney and Belk do still exist, but their retail models are holding them back. Reselling name brand clothes they buy from the manufacturer requires outrageous pricing with today's rents for anchor stores. Macy's will take a Polo shirt that's $39 in the Polo Ralph Lauren store and sell it for $90. The clearance racks in both of those places are filled with size XS and pieces that look like rugby shirts from the 1990s.

"Premium Outlets" like the ones by Simon and the Tanger Outlets were the next step... A low-overhead discounter offering a collection of premium brands separated into individual stores. This eventually evolved where manufacturers caught on and started making separate lines specifically for the outlets. These outlets were never like a Syms (remember those?) who buys top retail that simply did not sell.

We're now at a point where online is taking over, shipping companies are busier than ever, and girls buy 4 dresses with the full intent of returning the 3 they like the least. Brick-and-mortar retail space is now reserved for extremely high end, high margin retail that can likely only be visited once or twice a year by most of the US population. I'm not just talking about Apple Store, but Restoration Hardware, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Crate & Barrel...

Now,
And many of these high-end brands refuse to do business with Amazon because of the proliferation of counterfeit items on the marketplace. While Amazon does sell a few high-end brands such as Lacoste, Calvin Klein, and Tommy Hilfiger, others such as Polo Ralph Lauren refuse to do business with Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Lands end is all I wear. I love the sport knit blue jeans. I love the tanks and tees.
Well, I found them! I don't know how I lost track of them, but a simple search found their website. I ordered two tee-shirts, on sale, lets see if they are still the same quality and value I loved!

Old 09-21-2018, 02:16 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Land's End?
My nomination as well.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:33 AM

10,064 posts, read 9,309,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
Donít get me wrong, I LOVE TJ Maxx. It is my opinion, as I stated, that when all those brands are so easily found there, that they arenít so hot (or haute) couture anymore. They have lost their high fashion image (assuming they ever had one). You donít find much Escada, Chanel, St. John and the like there. Those aforementioned brands found at TJís can be bought at many other discount stores as well and just seem run of the mill.
I respect your opinion Brands such as Chanel and such are largely out of the reach of the common folk. And let's face it, us common folk are the ones who really prop up their bottom line as we buy the most clothes at any given time. Kors isn't stupid. He produces clothes for a variety of markets to make the most money. That doesn't mean that his brand is cheapening or fading because his name can be found in less prestigious markets. As I said, I own Kors clothes from his stores and I can't see any difference between them and the items purchased from TJ Maxx. There are some pretty awesome and beautiful designs to be found at TJ Maxx. I can tell you that I buy hundreds of dollars of his clothes from TJMaxx...and if more people spend like me, Mr. Kors is smiling for sure.

Ready to wear items for working professionals is where the money is, not haute.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 PM

18,852 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yea, what did happen with them? I used to be a regular buyer from their catalog, I loved their quality, prices, and simple, classic styles. Then, I think Sears bought them out, then, the quality, and service went down and the prices up. Anyone heard of them recently?
I buy from LE all the time. Sears no longer owns them. Their basics are still good. Their coats are better than any you can find for a comparable price in a department store.

But they carry more fabric blends now and those are suspect.

But for cotton knits, their stuff is good. And I wear their jeans.

Up thread I posted about them having had a good year.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:07 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I buy from LE all the time. Sears no longer owns them. Their basics are still good. Their coats are better than any you can find for a comparable price in a department store.

But they carry more fabric blends now and those are suspect.

But for cotton knits, their stuff is good. And I wear their jeans.

Up thread I posted about them having had a good year.
I bought some tanks this year, so thick and luxurious. And the sport knit jeans? A few years ago I was mending and mending and they were so thin. Now? These few pairs will last a while. Theíre over a year old now, and when I say, this is all I wear? I live in these things.

Yeah, theyíre elastic waist. Listen, Iím losing weight. Very slowly and my doctor is fine with it. I can wear a size in these for some time.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:27 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, can anyone give examples of fading fashion brands that have lost a lot of popularity in recent years? Here are some that I can name:[list][*]Nautica - Sold by VF to Authentic Brands Group, future direction for the brand currently unknown, currently losing sales to brands from above and below.
When it is a Kohls staple brand, that puts it at a certain tier. See also Fila.

Quote:
Charming Charlie - Went into and emerged from bankruptcy, closed over 100 stores.
Oh, Charming Charlie...Claire's quality at a higher price point.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:31 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Their coats are durable. When I worked for a newspaper 2001-2007, we got LE fleece-lined coats with the paper logo embroidered one year for Christmas. Still looks like new!

Old 09-22-2018, 06:31 AM

4,631 posts, read 7,192,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
When it is a Kohls staple brand, that puts it at a certain tier. See also Fila.
I'm talking about popularity, not price or prestige. Just because a brand is sold at Kohl's doesn't make it unpopular. Kohl's is currently one of the best performing department stores financially. And actually, Nautica seems to be mainly carried by Macy's, although it is becoming harder to find locally. From below, IZOD and Chaps seem to currently be more popular, while from above, Tommy Hilfiger and Polo Ralph Lauren are outselling it.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:07 AM

18,852 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I bought some tanks this year, so thick and luxurious. And the sport knit jeans? A few years ago I was mending and mending and they were so thin. Now? These few pairs will last a while. Theíre over a year old now, and when I say, this is all I wear? I live in these things.

Yeah, theyíre elastic waist. Listen, Iím losing weight. Very slowly and my doctor is fine with it. I can wear a size in these for some time.
Congrats on the weight loss.

I am still wearing jeans I bought from LE 3 years ago. Alas, Iíve picked up some weight, and I need to replace two pair.

The tees come in three cuts. The pima cotton tees are the loosest. The ribbed tees (ribbing is very slight) are slightly shaped and made of ordinary cotton. The fitted tees are great for wearing underneath other garments. I wish they made those distinctions a bit plainer, like they used to do.

Another good LE product are the plain white shirts. I have two that Iíve owner for around a decade. I have some others that I like as well. Sometimes those run a little large, Iíve found. And they always carry shirts in beautiful seasonal prints.

DH owns two Squall jackets. One if them must be over ten years old. LE puts an interior pocket in their jackets. They wash beautifully.

Although LE makes an effort to update their basics, you wonít find fashion forward things in their catalogs. They do classic clothes, and mostly, they do them well. One area they are expanding is office appropriate clothing for women. But they are at their best with cotton clothing made in classic ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty