U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:41 AM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Congrats on the weight loss.

I am still wearing jeans I bought from LE 3 years ago. Alas, Iíve picked up some weight, and I need to replace two pair.

The tees come in three cuts. The pima cotton tees are the loosest. The ribbed tees (ribbing is very slight) are slightly shaped and made of ordinary cotton. The fitted tees are great for wearing underneath other garments. I wish they made those distinctions a bit plainer, like they used to do.

Another good LE product are the plain white shirts. I have two that Iíve owner for around a decade. I have some others that I like as well. Sometimes those run a little large, Iíve found. And they always carry shirts in beautiful seasonal prints.

DH owns two Squall jackets. One if them must be over ten years old. LE puts an interior pocket in their jackets. They wash beautifully.

Although LE makes an effort to update their basics, you wonít find fashion forward things in their catalogs. They do classic clothes, and mostly, they do them well. One area they are expanding is office appropriate clothing for women. But they are at their best with cotton clothing made in classic ways.
I miss button down shirts. But I am large busted and the only way I can wear one now is if I make it myself. Years ago it seemed you could find them cut larger, but since knits became so ubiquitous, I canít find button-downs anymore.

I should state I have NO patience for shopping. I have to ďgird my loinsĒ to do it, itís never pleasant, I hate everything on the racks, and frankly after 20 minutes I want to scream. Everything is very expensive and yet feels and looks cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 02:20 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,785,003 times
For the past few years, J. Jill clothes have plummeted in appeal. They used to be quirky; now their stuff is potato sacks with frumpy necklines.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:27 PM

15,710 posts, read 22,767,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
well i must be the freak here, i never bought any of those brands ..... i know, i know.... it's not all age related for me, i just always, even way way way back in the 60's when i was a teenager, got used to a more eclectic selection of clothing. I pretty much shopped exclusively at Loehmann's, which was a fashion paradise. truly. Love clothes? Adore clothes???? If ya never shopped at Loehmann's I feel sorry for you... in my teens, i was lucky to be within the cusp of the new expansion of Loehmanns by one of Frieda's sons. I would buy at least 10 things, dresses, tops, pants, coats from every corner of Madison Ave that was producing clothing, on every visit.... lol, when i went to college my closet was the one every girl in my dorm constantly raided, pleading, begging weeks ahead to borrow this or that. I even had three trunks of clothing in the basement i could rotate clothes from, lol. I was a real biatch back then, and decided to only let "certain" people wear my clothing. i regret that attitude, but was young, wielding fashion power was a ploy to bolster my own flagging self esteem.

don't take this as gospel, but i THINK it was the first off-priced clothing store and the best part was the "back room" which held the designer clothes at such cut rate prices you drooled.... so at that formative period of my life, I was shopping and putting together "looks" that were highly personal and a hodge podge from many different sources.

Fashion was EVERYTHING back then... i don't think that is true any longer because back in the 60's and 70's fashion was so daring, different, exciting, crazy, things changed from that staid ladylike 50's look.... wild, free and young young young were all the designers. The only one still around might be Betsey Johnson... still as outrageous and out there as EVER!!!

i got used to styling and creating my own look and find that Iris Apfel's unique and vast cultural influences far suit me if I am going to splurge and buy something truly unique that expresses me. Those retail giants above that you mentioned? I never wore and never would. edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frieda_Loehmann
Great post and place to clothes shop. Loehmanns fan from back in the '70s. We had one in Drexel Hill, Pa close to where I was living. Though I think choice range in NY abundent. Lucky girl. I now buy vintage '60s - '70s for resale.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Lularoe leggings are supposed to be wonderful. From my sister in Virginia who says they're soft and just right. Not for summer, so you probably wouldn't want them in South Florida.

As for Izod and LaCoste, what I understand is that Izod is the cheap brand while LaCoste is the quality brand. For a while it was Izod-LaCoste.
Izod bought Lacoste, a luxury brand started in 1933, back in the 1980s or so and cheapened the Lacoste brand. Lacoste bought the company back about 15 years ago, took the brand completely off the market to separate themselves completely from Lacoste, and relaunched about 12 years ago. They tried and almost succeeded in destroying every Izod/Lacoste item of clothing ever made.

My dates are a little sketchy. I'm estimating.

Izod completely cheapened Lacoste which until that time had completely been a luxury brand and not mass market.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:05 AM

4,632 posts, read 7,195,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Izod bought Lacoste, a luxury brand started in 1933, back in the 1980s or so and cheapened the Lacoste brand. Lacoste bought the company back about 15 years ago, took the brand completely off the market to separate themselves completely from Lacoste, and relaunched about 12 years ago. They tried and almost succeeded in destroying every Izod/Lacoste item of clothing ever made.

My dates are a little sketchy. I'm estimating.

Izod completely cheapened Lacoste which until that time had completely been a luxury brand and not mass market.
The companies actually separated in 1993. IZOD was acquired by PVH two years later in 1995, while Lacoste exited the United States market, not returning until the early 2000s.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 1,718,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I'm talking about popularity, not price or prestige. Just because a brand is sold at Kohl's doesn't make it unpopular. Kohl's is currently one of the best performing department stores financially. And actually, Nautica seems to be mainly carried by Macy's, although it is becoming harder to find locally. From below, IZOD and Chaps seem to currently be more popular, while from above, Tommy Hilfiger and Polo Ralph Lauren are outselling it.
Tommy and Polo are less popular then IZOD & Chaps?????? Omg come on now.

I know you don't want to accept it but neither have been "popular"....maybe more accessible to middle age & older but popular? Not a chance.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Tommy and Polo are less popular then IZOD & Chaps?????? Omg come on now.

I know you don't want to accept it but neither have been "popular"....maybe more accessible to middle age & older but popular? Not a chance.
I was comparing them to Nautica, not Tommy and Polo. Nautica has been a money loser for VF, leading to its sale to ABG. Nautica hasn't been anywhere near its prime in the 1990s; where Tommy and Polo succeeded Nautica has failed. Even IZOD is currently showing marginal growth while Nautica continues to shrink.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:23 PM

18,852 posts, read 12,481,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I miss button down shirts. But I am large busted and the only way I can wear one now is if I make it myself. Years ago it seemed you could find them cut larger, but since knits became so ubiquitous, I canít find button-downs anymore.

I should state I have NO patience for shopping. I have to ďgird my loinsĒ to do it, itís never pleasant, I hate everything on the racks, and frankly after 20 minutes I want to scream. Everything is very expensive and yet feels and looks cheap.
Oh, I know what you mean. I hate not finding things that fit, because that has basically been my experience for my whole life. So frustrating. I have found that if I can locate nicely fitting things online, I can order with confidence in the future. But I do not enjoy shopping trips. Torture.

Donít even get me started about shoe shopping! I donít know what Iíd do without Zappos.

I love your use of the old Biblical phrase, ďgird my loins.Ē

Old 09-23-2018, 02:27 PM

18,852 posts, read 12,481,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I'm talking about popularity, not price or prestige. Just because a brand is sold at Kohl's doesn't make it unpopular. Kohl's is currently one of the best performing department stores financially. And actually, Nautica seems to be mainly carried by Macy's, although it is becoming harder to find locally. From below, IZOD and Chaps seem to currently be more popular, while from above, Tommy Hilfiger and Polo Ralph Lauren are outselling it.
Iíve only seen the brand Chaps at Kohls. Can you buy it elsewhere?

By the way, I donít find Chaps clothing appealing quality wise.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Iíve only seen the brand Chaps at Kohls. Can you buy it elsewhere?

By the way, I donít find Chaps clothing appealing quality wise.
Chaps is also carried at Belk and at Stein Mart. Not as large as a retail footprint as IZOD (which also has JCPenney and Amazon as retail partners in addition to Kohl's, Belk, and Stein Mart), but not a Kohl's exclusive brand. Chaps is owned by Ralph Lauren Corporation, and is supposed to be sold at a more mid-range price compared to the premium Polo Ralph Lauren brand. Note that they did also at one point produce a comparable brand known as American Living that was a JCPenney exclusive, but that brand flopped (a different unrelated American Living brand is now sold at Macy's, but this one only includes women's clothes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty