U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:05 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,465,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Chaps is also carried at Belk and at Stein Mart. Not as large as a retail footprint as IZOD (which also has JCPenney and Amazon as retail partners in addition to Kohl's, Belk, and Stein Mart), but not a Kohl's exclusive brand. Chaps is owned by Ralph Lauren Corporation, and is supposed to be sold at a more mid-range price compared to the premium Polo Ralph Lauren brand. Note that they did also at one point produce a comparable brand known as American Living that was a JCPenney exclusive, but that brand flopped (a different unrelated American Living brand is now sold at Macy's, but this one only includes women's clothes).
I knew that Chaps was Laurenís low end stuff. I was never impressed with Stein Mart. Iíve only encountered Chaps at Kohlís. Their stuff (Chaps) doesnít impress, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 06:47 PM

5,678 posts, read 2,789,322 times
I went through a brief Perry Ellis period in 2005-2007, but I only see their stuff in Dillard's occasionally, and sometimes the TJX stores on steep discount. I especially liked (and needed) the larger cut of the shoulders on their dress shirts.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:55 AM

4,629 posts, read 7,192,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I knew that Chaps was Laurenís low end stuff. I was never impressed with Stein Mart. Iíve only encountered Chaps at Kohlís. Their stuff (Chaps) doesnít impress, IMO.
At Stein Mart you can actually find a few premium brands such as Tommy Hilfiger. Stein Mart is basically an upscale off-price retailer.

As for Belk, they are a regional department store chain found mainly in Southern states (often in rural areas), so I am not sure if you have ever shopped there (I have only bought from their website).

Old 09-25-2018, 11:51 AM

4,629 posts, read 7,192,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I went through a brief Perry Ellis period in 2005-2007, but I only see their stuff in Dillard's occasionally, and sometimes the TJX stores on steep discount. I especially liked (and needed) the larger cut of the shoulders on their dress shirts.
Macy's seems to carry them as well at least online, and I have seen their stuff at a local Macy's store in the past, although I haven't paid attention if they have stocked them in a local store recently. I once wanted to buy a pink Perry Ellis button-down, but it ran small on me. Some brands have a better fit than others; IZOD and Nautica in my experience have the best fits in their regular sizes.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:27 PM

30,402 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Ivanka's. I've seen her stuff in super clearance at TJMax. And if shes not bankrupt yet I hope she will soon be.

Her line is also among the regularly-priced items at both T.J. Maxx (obviously, you don't go there all that often) and Marshalls--where most garments eventually make it to the clearance racks.

But, hey, that schadenfreude of yours is something you can still be proud of.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:53 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
Quote:
Once considered “high end”, when brands like Michael Kors, Dooney & Bourke, Kate Spade, et al, can be found en mass there, I think their star has faded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE TJ Maxx. It is my opinion, as I stated, that when all those brands are so easily found there, that they aren’t so hot (or haute) couture anymore. They have lost their high fashion image (assuming they ever had one). You don’t find much Escada, Chanel, St. John and the like there. Those aforementioned brands found at TJ’s can be bought at many other discount stores as well and just seem run of the mill.
Exactly.

I just read an article from about a year ago about Michael Kors -- it was practically a "what happened to the MK brand?" article....and it focus exactly on luxury brands becoming too available to the masses, and not being exclusive enough. It mentioned that MK and Coach -- have closed several of stores....UNLIKE Hermes which only has stores that you can number on one hand (or so).

I get the feeling that some people think that just because THEY buy or wear a brand -- that the brand is "popular" (however that's measured).

The article was all about the "tightrope" that brands straddle when they want to expand.....the balance of being "affordable, available, "luxury". Basically it said when 'luxury"' brands are over-exposed that quite frankly they're not thought of as "exclusive enough" to be luxury. And sales can suffer. And publicly traded companies REALLY have a tough time. They want to "expand and grow" but risk becoming to mass market. One PRIVATELY owned brand the article mentioned was Tory Birch. The designer at the time said she had no plans to go public or expand just for the sake of growth.

To me, at least one measure of whether a brand is popular is whether you're opening stores -- OR CLOSING them.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:09 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
Quote:
a few high-end brands such as Lacoste, Calvin Klein, and Tommy Hilfiger,
I think we might need to define what we all mean by "high end." And that's also adding in another factor that I don't think was in the OP.

"FADING brands" can be at any price point.

Hermes, Celine, (and I'll throw in Chanel and Tiffany).....I'd say are high-end (compared to MY shopping price points.)
True, true, true high-end brands I don't think I've even heard of, for example I'd never heard of Dooney & Bourke. THAT to ME is high-end...because I shop at a price point that's more like Walmart. So $300 on a hand bag is insane to me. It's just not my circle.

Are Michael Kors and Burberry high end? Are they "fading?"
IS christian Louboutin even high-end anymore? Are $800 shoes high-end? When there are shoes that go for over 1,200 a pair?

I looked up a Glamour article on 15 "investment" leather handbag brands.....they were all small companies, handmade bags. Personally, IF, I shopped at high-end price points, I'd rather have a bag or shoes that were super exclusive, than one that everybody and their mother, sister, daughter and niece had on their arm or feet. IF I got into that sort of thing, THAT is what would feed my ego, knowing only I and a few others had it....not an LV bag that might be popular -- not to mention fake and standing at a distance who could tell the difference.

You can have popular....I'll take exclusive. And TRUE exclusive usually doesn't fade (all that much).

Last edited by selhars; 09-29-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 08:26 PM

10,061 posts, read 9,309,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Exactly.

I just read an article from about a year ago about Michael Kors -- it was practically a "what happened to the MK brand?" article....and it focus exactly on luxury brands becoming too available to the masses, and not being exclusive enough. It mentioned that MK and Coach -- have closed several of stores....UNLIKE Hermes which only has stores that you can number on one hand (or so).

I get the feeling that some people think that just because THEY buy or wear a brand -- that the brand is "popular" (however that's measured).

The article was all about the "tightrope" that brands straddle when they want to expand.....the balance of being "affordable, available, "luxury". Basically it said when 'luxury"' brands are over-exposed that quite frankly they're not thought of as "exclusive enough" to be luxury. And sales can suffer. And publicly traded companies REALLY have a tough time. They want to "expand and grow" but risk becoming to mass market. One PRIVATELY owned brand the article mentioned was Tory Birch. The designer at the time said she had no plans to go public or expand just for the sake of growth.

To me, at least one measure of whether a brand is popular is whether you're opening stores -- OR CLOSING them.
Of course there are closures, brick and mortar stores for a specific designer is largely a waste of time and money. The "masses" are what keep many companies relevant. I like MK, Hilfiger, etc.'s clothes. They make me look good regardless of whether it's the couture line or ready to wear. I refuse to spend tons of money for one garment, yet I'll readily drop hundreds of dollars many times in outlet/off price stores. How is that a loss for MK? Wealthy people are a very small segment of the population. Manufacturers make far more money catering to working professionals like myself and making their brands more accessible, not the Real Housewives. Case in point, designer specific stores closing while far more H&Ms and the like are opening.

I don't need exclusive. I want a brand that's withstood the test of time and looks great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty