Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:49 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times

Advertisements

Nautica, Polo, Under Armour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 01:33 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
Since the question is what is fading in popularity, I would say any brand that becomes prolific in TJ Maxx. Once considered “high end”, when brands like Michael Kors, Dooney & Bourke, Kate Spade, et al, can be found en mass there, I think their star has faded. My observation anyhow.
Eh I wouldn't say that. The designer clothes that you find in TJ Maxx are still very popular. The designers have different lines for different market segments, including off price stores. Some of their one of a kind couture items still remain ridiculously expensive. Ready to wear career wear for example is found at off price retailers like TJMaxx. It'd be a stretch to consider Kors, Calvin Klein, etc. as faded brands.

FWIW TJ Maxx is my go to store. They have what I need - nice, stylish clothes for working women like myself. I also own Kors and similar designer stuff purchased from their own stores and see no discernible difference.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:26 PM

192 posts, read 133,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Eh I wouldn't say that. The designer clothes that you find in TJ Maxx are still very popular. The designers have different lines for different market segments, including off price stores. Some of their one of a kind couture items still remain ridiculously expensive. Ready to wear career wear for example is found at off price retailers like TJMaxx. It'd be a stretch to consider Kors, Calvin Klein, etc. as faded brands.

FWIW TJ Maxx is my go to store. They have what I need - nice, stylish clothes for working women like myself. I also own Kors and similar designer stuff purchased from their own stores and see no discernible difference.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE TJ Maxx. It is my opinion, as I stated, that when all those brands are so easily found there, that they aren’t so hot (or haute) couture anymore. They have lost their high fashion image (assuming they ever had one). You don’t find much Escada, Chanel, St. John and the like there. Those aforementioned brands found at TJ’s can be bought at many other discount stores as well and just seem run of the mill.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:47 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE TJ Maxx. It is my opinion, as I stated, that when all those brands are so easily found there, that they aren’t so hot (or haute) couture anymore. They have lost their high fashion image (assuming they ever had one). You don’t find much Escada, Chanel, St. John and the like there. Those aforementioned brands found at TJ’s can be bought at many other discount stores as well and just seem run of the mill.
But these brands still sell well regardless of high fashion status or prestige. Faded brands are brands that almost no one buys anymore.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 PM

765 posts, read 473,560 times
well i must be the freak here, i never bought any of those brands ..... i know, i know.... it's not all age related for me, i just always, even way way way back in the 60's when i was a teenager, got used to a more eclectic selection of clothing. I pretty much shopped exclusively at Loehmann's, which was a fashion paradise. truly. Love clothes? Adore clothes???? If ya never shopped at Loehmann's I feel sorry for you... in my teens, i was lucky to be within the cusp of the new expansion of Loehmanns by one of Frieda's sons. I would buy at least 10 things, dresses, tops, pants, coats from every corner of Madison Ave that was producing clothing, on every visit.... lol, when i went to college my closet was the one every girl in my dorm constantly raided, pleading, begging weeks ahead to borrow this or that. I even had three trunks of clothing in the basement i could rotate clothes from, lol. I was a real biatch back then, and decided to only let "certain" people wear my clothing. i regret that attitude, but was young, wielding fashion power was a ploy to bolster my own flagging self esteem.

don't take this as gospel, but i THINK it was the first off-priced clothing store and the best part was the "back room" which held the designer clothes at such cut rate prices you drooled.... so at that formative period of my life, I was shopping and putting together "looks" that were highly personal and a hodge podge from many different sources.

Fashion was EVERYTHING back then... i don't think that is true any longer because back in the 60's and 70's fashion was so daring, different, exciting, crazy, things changed from that staid ladylike 50's look.... wild, free and young young young were all the designers. The only one still around might be Betsey Johnson... still as outrageous and out there as EVER!!!

i got used to styling and creating my own look and find that Iris Apfel's unique and vast cultural influences far suit me if I am going to splurge and buy something truly unique that expresses me. Those retail giants above that you mentioned? I never wore and never would. edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frieda_Loehmann
Attached Thumbnails
Fading fashion brands-iris.jpg  

Last edited by ceiligrrl; 09-20-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 06:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Land's End?

Yea, what did happen with them? I used to be a regular buyer from their catalog, I loved their quality, prices, and simple, classic styles. Then, I think Sears bought them out, then, the quality, and service went down and the prices up. Anyone heard of them recently?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 PM

192 posts, read 133,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
But these brands still sell well regardless of high fashion status or prestige. Faded brands are brands that almost no one buys anymore.
I guess I have a different idea of what a faded brand is. Based on your description, how can they stay in business?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
I guess I have a different idea of what a faded brand is. Based on your description, how can they stay in business?
Some brands have either filed for bankruptcy or have been bought out. Authentic Brands Group is a company who is notable for buying fading brands; this past year they bought out Nautica and Nine West.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:48 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yea, what did happen with them? I used to be a regular buyer from their catalog, I loved their quality, prices, and simple, classic styles. Then, I think Sears bought them out, then, the quality, and service went down and the prices up. Anyone heard of them recently?
Lands end is all I wear. I love the sport knit blue jeans. I love the tanks and tees.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Orvis. Eddie Bauer.

Taking back profit is the name of the game now. House brands not name brands. Online not brick-and-mortar.

JCPenney and Belk do still exist, but their retail models are holding them back. Reselling name brand clothes they buy from the manufacturer requires outrageous pricing with today's rents for anchor stores. Macy's will take a Polo shirt that's $39 in the Polo Ralph Lauren store and sell it for $90. The clearance racks in both of those places are filled with size XS and pieces that look like rugby shirts from the 1990s.

"Premium Outlets" like the ones by Simon and the Tanger Outlets were the next step... A low-overhead discounter offering a collection of premium brands separated into individual stores. This eventually evolved where manufacturers caught on and started making separate lines specifically for the outlets. These outlets were never like a Syms (remember those?) who buys top retail that simply did not sell.

We're now at a point where online is taking over, shipping companies are busier than ever, and girls buy 4 dresses with the full intent of returning the 3 they like the least. Brick-and-mortar retail space is now reserved for extremely high end, high margin retail that can likely only be visited once or twice a year by most of the US population. I'm not just talking about Apple Store, but Restoration Hardware, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Crate & Barrel...

Now,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty