U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:50 PM

3,990 posts, read 2,977,699 times

Advertisements

Pretty much everyone I know who spends extensive time outdoors wears men's gear regardless of gender. It's sturdier and usually less expensive. No one here will even notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:50 PM

1,667 posts, read 775,148 times
I always buy my rainjackets and hoodies in the men's department. I don't like tight jackets and the women's jackets are made so skimpy sometimes.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:27 AM

7,138 posts, read 2,228,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I have a great rain jacket made for men...

used to wear my brother's sports shorts in high school,
then my husbands tees...
and finally, I buy men's tank tees to wear around the house in summer.

Unfair I can do so without gender questíons when men can't...
That's true. Men wouldn't dare wear anything that could be identified as women's apparel. One time, in my early twenties, I bought a nice parka at a 2nd-hand store. I didn't notice that the zipper-slide was on the left. My friends ridiculed me mercilessly, for wearing a "girl's coat". I honestly didn't know until then, that women's zippers were on that side. I wonder what could possibly be the reason for that?

Old 09-20-2018, 04:59 AM

526 posts, read 135,498 times
Nothing new here..buy what you like and what fits. I used to buy guy shoes because I liked the room. Saddles

Old 09-20-2018, 07:04 AM

760 posts, read 369,391 times
I like over sized men`s flannel shirts in the winter, just for lounging around. It`s the only men`s clothing that will fit me......over sized= small

Old 09-20-2018, 08:05 AM

2,516 posts, read 7,556,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's true. Men wouldn't dare wear anything that could be identified as women's apparel. One time, in my early twenties, I bought a nice parka at a 2nd-hand store. I didn't notice that the zipper-slide was on the left. My friends ridiculed me mercilessly, for wearing a "girl's coat". I honestly didn't know until then, that women's zippers were on that side. I wonder what could possibly be the reason for that?
Back in pre-zipper days, women of a certain class were dressed by their maids, so buttons were placed on the left to accommodate right-handed maids facing their mistresses. I suppose when zippers came along they followed that convention. I have noticed that only my good coats have the zippers on the left, while the cheaper ones have them on the right. I guess the makers of the premium brands think that some of us still have lady's maids.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:12 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,953,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's not because I want to be a man; I am very satisfied with my gender identity. However, I need to buy a heavy parka for my winter work in arctic Alaska and am thinking about purchasing a men's jacket. I wear men's socks and boy's athletic shoes because they last so much longer and are cheaper. Men's clothes are cheaper and are generally better made. I am also short and want one that can reach my knees to keep my legs warm. Does anyone else do this?
Aren't men's parkas too bulky? Thinsulate jackets provide extra warmth and insulation without the added bulk. Have you considered those?

Women's Sun Valley Down Parka | Eddie Bauer

Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 7,556,896 times
About ten years ago, when it was virtually impossible to buy women's denim with higher than a 4-inch rise, I bought a pair of men's jeans on the suggestion of a male sales associate. While they did have a higher rise, those two extra inches sat below crotch level (for obvious reasons, I suppose), and I was always tugging them up. They were so uncomfortable that I ultimately returned them. I also tried buying men's underwear, because a friend swore that they were so much more comfortable than ours, and she didn't wear anything else. That didn't work for me, either. It turns out that clothing manufacturers really do design "bottom" garments with the differences between male and female bodies in mind.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 AM

20,054 posts, read 20,548,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm actually not hesitating. I'm wondering about fit. Feet are different than chests and I am buying a coat this time instead of shoes or socks. I normally wear a woman's large coat so I think a men's medium will fit. I will probably have to buy online because heavy parkas are generally unavailable for try-on here in Texas
They should have a size chart with a chest measurement? That would give you a good idea of fit. I don't buy coats on line but I would think generally one size down would be right but the way things are sized sometimes it hard to know.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM

15,535 posts, read 29,278,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Absolutely.
Better quality and more comfortable.

Underwear. Men's 100% better. I prefer briefs. Don't like fabric in my butt crack or elastic in my creases.
I used to wear mens undies when you could buy thongs but now you cannot buy them ANYWHERE thanks to the popularity of these god-awful boxer briefs. The ladies thongs are made so poorly that they only last a month or two before they start falling apart. The mens thongs lasted for months! Maybe even years! I think I still have a few tucked in the back of my undie drawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or