U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:37 AM

522 posts, read 134,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
I love love love my smile. It is an entity unto itself. It is infectious. It isn't so much dazzling as it is warm, truly sincere and genuine. for an old geezer? when i smile, i look 20 years younger. never ever vain, i haven't felt the need to wear makeup in my entire life .... my smile was my passport to the world
Perfect! Great attitude even if one does not have a “perfect” smile. It is all about being genuine and happy. I don’t understand those who do not smile.

I, too, am known for always smiling and being upbeat. My teeth were imperfect for years due to two front teeth having been broken decades ago. I had them fixed ten years ago. ( 4 crowns in the front). I still love to look at the result and am I am no longer self conscious about the imperfection of my teeth. Worth every dime! Interesting that no one has ever mentioned the new improved look. Lol! I am good with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 03:50 AM

1,746 posts, read 708,306 times
I don't like my smile, too gummy, yellow teeth, and my eyes get squinty. But I do smile, a lot. Life is too short NOT to smile.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:35 PM

9,130 posts, read 3,944,191 times
What is RBF???

I like my smile for the most part. Had braces when I was in my late 20's. The two front teeth overlap just a tiny bit, just to give my smile some interest.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:01 PM

5,758 posts, read 3,197,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What is RBF???

I like my smile for the most part. Had braces when I was in my late 20's. The two front teeth overlap just a tiny bit, just to give my smile some interest.
Resting b***h face....Looks like you’re mad or grumpy.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:15 PM

18,916 posts, read 12,521,112 times
You know RBF was not a “thing” until recently. We do not have to smile all the time, and no one can force us to.

This is a sexist demand, IMO. No one insists men need to smile to avoid RBF.

However, as someone who looked at a lot of people for a lot of years in my working life, I know how much better a pleasant face is to present to everyone you encounter.

There are ways to signal good humor without smiling. You do it with your eyes, crinkling them in friendliness.

But it is your choice how you present yourself. You do you.

I personally do not have a beautiful smile, although there is nothing wrong with it. I think smiling helps make an old face more appealing. And it is usually not a burden for me to smile.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:15 PM

9,130 posts, read 3,944,191 times
HaHaHa - I thought I was able to interpret most of these abbreviations but this one had me stumped.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:17 PM

7,923 posts, read 7,276,295 times
Yes, I like my smile and seems a lot of other people do too as people have walked up to me out of the blue and told me I have a nice smile. However, doesn't mean I don't have a RBF when I need it. Not that the RBF stops some strangers from asking why aren't I or telling me to smile

Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,414,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Yes, I like my smile and seems a lot of other people do too as people have walked up to me out of the blue and told me I have a nice smile. However, doesn't mean I don't have a RBF when I need it. Not that the RBF stops some strangers from asking why aren't I or telling me to smile
As far as I know, I don't have RBF, but I have had times when people tell me to smile, etc. I just hate that! I think it's so rude to say that to someone. I'll smile when I feel like smiling or have something to smile about!

I would never tell someone to smile. I'd never tell anyone what expression they should have or mention it at all to anyone. It's just so RUDE!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:18 PM

13,233 posts, read 11,784,350 times
Yes, I have a nice smile and dimples. I always smile for pictures but I don’t smile a lot in general.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:03 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,414,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know "they say" everyone looks better with a smile, but as long as it's not a RBF, I don't think that's necessarily true.

I look much better "sober", like the old-time photos. Just don't have a good smile, but I do smile a lot. Not bad teeth, just....something else. Same with my husband.

Three or four friends I can think of, have DAZZLING smiles. I notice it every single time they smile.

What a nice feature to have! What about you?

I seem to recall, for some visa-type photo, we were told NOT to smile.
I have almost always liked my smile, because I used to have good teeth. My teeth were very white and I never needed braces. As I aged, I noticed that my teeth were looking brown to me - no one else seemed to notice it, but it really, really bothered me, so I had about 10 of my top teeth replaced with crowns. I had broken the front two teeth in the past, so they already had crowns on them. The crowns stayed white, but my natural teeth on either side started to look stained and brown and that really bothered me so much. I wouldn't smile for pictures, because I felt so self conscious about it. Now they look great, so I smile all the time.

Both my husband and my daughter have beautiful smiles. I think part of that is because they have dimples and also, their mouths sort of turn up at the corners, so they always look like they're smiling, even when they really aren't. Kind of like how a dolphin always looks like they are smiling, if you get what I mean. They both have such friendly looking faces. My husband, especially, is a very happy person to begin with, so I think that adds to the constant look of a smile.

And yes, to your last sentence in the OP - I think it was my passport picture - they told me not to smile. I'm not sure why they have that "rule" - doesn't make sense to me. I think I'll look it up and if I find out the reason, I'll post it on here later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or