U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM

8,671 posts, read 8,854,157 times

Advertisements

NEWP. Absolutely hate my smile. Never smile in pictures. it looks ridiculous

Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,490,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
I'm a happy man so I often appear to have a perpetual smile on my face...

Two examples from last year Thanksgiving time...sitting in my car and I remember it was quite chilly and the next picture is at Thanksgiving time with a great man and one of my best friends ever....His name is Dwain and he use to enjoy pulling the weeds in my yard each sprnig/summer and edging etc and just making my house yard look nice....his wife had terrible emphysema which required a constant oxygen tank but she was a real trooper and never ever complained...

Two of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet and sadly his wife passed away 2 years ago and Dwain has been so lonely and lost without her ( he is now 88 )...so I go visit him a couple of times each week to shoot the breeze and to make him smile and laugh too.....as I firmly believe that laughter is the best medicine....even for a sad and/or lonely heart.

My ex mother in law used to avoid the camera as much as she could. She was such a lovely person...it was always a shame to me that she'd avoid the camera so much. I told her one time, in all my 27 yrs. of wisdom "some day, you're going to be gone, and your grandkids will wonder what you looked like." (Maybe I could've put it more diplomatically, but it just made me sad that she didn't want her picture taken. I have a few of her...I had to sneak them when she wasn't looking. Seeing her pictures makes me smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 04:00 PM

754 posts, read 692,168 times
No. I do not.

Solution is simple: I do not smile.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:21 PM

734 posts, read 220,558 times
Generally: TO EVERYONE, who were so kind to take the time to like my post...... not going to even try to explain how hard hard hard it was to post that picture. wanna ask me how much i like my old face? not at all.....but i do still love my smile. so thank you all for being so so kind and generous of heart. it made this old geezer gammer very proud she had the courage to put it out there. thanks guys.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 PM

4,563 posts, read 1,141,729 times
I love my smile, it’s one of my positive traits.

But I won’t lie, I’m getting lumineers the first chance I can afford them. I’m gettin them for the wife too

Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 PM

647 posts, read 228,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You know RBF was not a “thing” until recently. We do not have to smile all the time, and no one can force us to.

This is a sexist demand, IMO. No one insists men need to smile to avoid RBF.

However, as someone who looked at a lot of people for a lot of years in my working life, I know how much better a pleasant face is to present to everyone you encounter.

There are ways to signal good humor without smiling. You do it with your eyes, crinkling them in friendliness.

But it is your choice how you present yourself. You do you.

I personally do not have a beautiful smile, although there is nothing wrong with it. I think smiling helps make an old face more appealing. And it is usually not a burden for me to smile.
To the bolded:

While the term RBF is new, I've been told my whole life to smile, by men and by women. That's over 50 years. I look grumpy when I'm not smiling, even if I'm as happy as a clam and thoroughly enjoying myself. Like John Lennon (IIRC) said "It's just me face".

Same with my husband, whose high school friends told him he had "cave bear face". So not just women who get bugged about this.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 1,020 times
I generally like mine, but it seems to be much better when I'm not posing for a picture. It always seems unnatural and forced when posing for a portrait.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:17 PM

10,388 posts, read 7,472,821 times
I love myself because I'm a survivor and I'm so thankful all my pieces work (and that I have them).
So yeah. I love my smile. I try to use it as often as possible.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 AM

7,093 posts, read 2,210,201 times
I never smile or laugh. Those things don't seem to be in my bag of tricks, even though I have a good set of teeth. But I have other talents, to make up for that.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:01 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
I like my smile face much better than my non smile face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or