U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:36 AM

8,671 posts, read 8,854,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
My ex mother in law used to avoid the camera as much as she could. She was such a lovely person...it was always a shame to me that she'd avoid the camera so much. I told her one time, in all my 27 yrs. of wisdom "some day, you're going to be gone, and your grandkids will wonder what you looked like." (Maybe I could've put it more diplomatically, but it just made me sad that she didn't want her picture taken. I have a few of her...I had to sneak them when she wasn't looking. Seeing her pictures makes me smile.
This is me. I hate having my picture taken! People ask to see a picture of me and the boyfriend together...i literally have none. Not one after 6 and a half years! We travel and do things and I take pictures of the stuff we are looking at, not him or myself. I'm okay with that. No one needs to know what I looked like after I'm dead

Old 09-25-2018, 01:32 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
In photos, it depends. I can look really toothy when I smile naturally, so I have to force myself to relax my smile a bit in front of the camera.

In person, I guess it's ok. I never gave it much thought. At this point in my life, I'm kind of stuck with it whether I like it or not and I know things could be far worse. So...cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 03:00 PM

2,608 posts, read 1,113,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
This is me. I hate having my picture taken! People ask to see a picture of me and the boyfriend together...i literally have none. Not one after 6 and a half years! We travel and do things and I take pictures of the stuff we are looking at, not him or myself. I'm okay with that. No one needs to know what I looked like after I'm dead
LOL. Me too. I never let DH take one picture of me on our Italy trip. He snuck a few and I secretly erased them. There's almost none of us together anywhere---I don't even like our wedding pics.

I'm not bad looking but I sure ain't photogenic like some out there. Metaphysic, for one!
That's one of those dazzler smiles!

Even after getting crowns and whitening, still don't like my smile. But I do it. Just not in a mirror, LOL.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:55 PM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
I have a really small mouth, so my smile wasn't really my strong point. I definitely had RBF because of my overbite, so I guess I clenched my teeth when my mouth was closed.

About 10 years ago, I had a total mouth reconstruction -- implants, crowns, braces to "open up my bite", the works. Finally I had a beautiful smile! BUT...as I've aged (I'm now 68), my mouth has now caved in, or maybe my cheeks have caved in, or whatever, but I seem to have the pointy-chin smile now. I thought I was avoiding that by not getting my teeth pulled, but I have it anyway. One of these days I'm going to check into fillers. Until then, I am really self-conscious about smiling.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:50 AM

1,724 posts, read 700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. Me too. I never let DH take one picture of me on our Italy trip. He snuck a few and I secretly erased them. There's almost none of us together anywhere---I don't even like our wedding pics.

I'm not bad looking but I sure ain't photogenic like some out there. Metaphysic, for one!
That's one of those dazzler smiles!

Even after getting crowns and whitening, still don't like my smile. But I do it. Just not in a mirror, LOL.

I have always felt the same way. Not a lot of picture taking going on anyway. But after my DH died, I cherish any photo of the two of us together. I have about 3 around the house. A friend sent me one from many years ago, that I did not even remember and could not place - it was the best present ever. He looks so young and healthy and happy, and I am gazing at him lovingly. I just love it.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:42 AM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
In photos, it depends. I can look really toothy when I smile naturally, so I have to force myself to relax my smile a bit in front of the camera.

In person, I guess it's ok. I never gave it much thought. At this point in my life, I'm kind of stuck with it whether I like it or not and I know things could be far worse. So...cheese.
I had a young neighbor/friend who got married. She was a pretty girl but had kind of chipmunk cheeks. I noticed in all the official pictures, she was smiling but not a full-on smile. Kind of a half-a**ed smile. Then I realized, when she smiles naturally, the chipmunk cheeks show. She knows that just as you know about the toothy smile, so she has to tone it down for the camera. It looked kind of strange though, like she wasn't real happy, on the happiest day of her life. (They later divorced.)

Another anecdote: One time during my dental reconstruction, I was getting a Glamour Shot done at one of those mall places. The BF had given me a gift certificate but it was going to expire before my dental work was finished. So my back teeth on the upper left were missing and it definitely showed when I smiled. (They could've photoshopped them in, but it was too expensive.) So in every photo except one, I did a close-mouthed smile. The problem was, I looked completely constipated! The only photo that looked good was one taken from the right side where they got me to laugh. I don't think my right is my "good side" but I had to admit, it was way better than the constipated look.

Last edited by Avalon08; 09-29-2018 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 09-29-2018, 10:28 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
Yes

Old 09-29-2018, 02:42 PM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times
People comment on my smile pretty often I donít think it translates in pictures. I am not photogenic.

This is a fairly common experience for me:

Homeless guy: can you spare some change
Me: sorry
Homeless guy: you have a nice smile, can I have your phone number

Old 09-29-2018, 03:14 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,266,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People comment on my smile pretty often I donít think it translates in pictures. I am not photogenic.

This is a fairly common experience for me:

Homeless guy: can you spare some change
Me: sorry
Homeless guy: you have a nice smile, can I have your phone number

Hilarious, thanks for the chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or