U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:48 AM

1,804 posts, read 772,436 times

Advertisements

Depends on your skin tone and what look you are going for. I would a use a lip primer to help keep it on and a lip pencil to keep it neat and lines sharp. If you have time, experiment with shades and formulas so you can find one that fades nicely. I have some that, even when faded hours later, are still a pretty color. Also test it in all lightings, so you know how it'll look in photos.

For a primer I use Lip Insurance by Too Faced. Works well for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 AM

4,077 posts, read 4,046,849 times
I only wear the long-wearing kind. I figure, why bother putting on lipstick if it's going to quickly fade, or worse, come off on drinking glasses? Ugh, I hate that. I get compliments on my lips all the time, and comments from people who notice the color never fades during a meal.

Mine aren't expensive. I use Cover Girl Outlast, Revlon Color Stay, and Maybelline Super Stay. All are $8-10, and I don't have a preference between the three. They all last GREAT! I wear them nearly every day and I have literally dozens of colors (I am a lipstick queen, haha!) They don't come off when I brush my teeth, eat, drink, kiss, or anything! In fact, I've just ordered a new product for removing long-wear lipstick, because the only problem is it's hard to get off (after about 24 hours, I can rub it off with a good amount of pressure).

The only "tricks" are: you need to be sure your lips are dry when you put it on, don't smack your lips together after applying, and let it dry for 2-3 minutes before touching anything to your lips or putting on the shine coat. Do that, and your lips will look fabulous through your whole wedding and reception and probably still the next morning.

If you want a matte look, use just the color. If you prefer shine (as I do) use the shine coat that each lip color comes with. The shine coat does need touched up periodically.

Good luck with all your wedding plans!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:58 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
If you want to splurge and you are near one of these locations - this would be a great way to get your wedding lipstick.

https://www.bitebeauty.com/lip-labs

Bite is one of the “cleaner” lipsticks brands (available at Sephora). I find their lipsticks long lasted and nicely pigmented.

Anyway I did this for my birthday this year and it was a pretty cool experience. I described the type of color I wanted, and some preferences on sheerness and shine.

My color was spot on basically on the first try, then we played around with formulation. It ended and I got to pick a scent. Then they mixed it up and put it in the tube. It was a hit as soon as I put it on, everyone told me it was a great color.

I wanted a not boring nude, not too matte, not too bold. But there were easily hundreds of possibilities in the session. You could pick colors or have the makeup artist lead.

Anyway it seems like a great thing to do for a special occasion like a wedding (I did it as a b-day gift to myself). And way less annnoying than trying on dozens of colors in a bunch of aisles and brands.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 709,963 times
Taking into account everything everyone else said:

I think it depends on a few things. One--what type of overall look are you going for? Are you doing a smokier eye, or a lighter eye? What features are you playing up? Those should determine the type of color you go for, on your lip.

Secondly--do you normally wear lipstick? There are many great glosses (matte, shiny, otherwise) out there that are long lasting, as well.

Overally, this is honestly a personal choice. For my wedding, I'm wearing Charlotte Tillbury, in Pillow Talk. It's a great, long last nude, that goes with so many looks.

If you have a Sephora, head over there and ask to play with some looks. I'm a Rouge there, and those girls usually know their stuff.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:22 PM

364 posts, read 213,146 times
This lipstick truly lasts all day:
https://seneweb.senegence.com/us/pro...lips/lipsense/

You'll need the lipstick color tube and a "gloss" tube. The "gloss" is really a sealer and you can buy shiny or matte.

Don't wear a shiny gloss. You don't want your lips to look like you smeared Vaseline on them in all your photos. Ask the photographer for advice about matte vs gloss.

You can't just order Senegence online. The website will take you to a local seller. The company is an MLM, like Avon. But the quality is far better.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:22 AM

22 posts, read 3,500 times
You should use something which will be long lasting and not too bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty