U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 10:53 PM

4,702 posts, read 7,251,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There is some fabric that is made as one really long tube, which I would expect would be the basis for the 'no side seams' types of shirts. For the ones with seams, they're probably cut from flat jersey knit type fabric.
From what I read, T-shirts without side seams are knitted on a circular knitting machine, and are actually generally cheaper to manufacture than those with side seams. Side-seamed T-shirts are knitted using flat knitting machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 11:09 PM

4,702 posts, read 7,251,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
What is the difference between basic and casual?

And yeah, the only way you can have no seams is to start with a fabric tube.

It's interesting that sewn seams gives the pattern designer the ability to taper the shirt.

So for the best quality t-shirts I should buy the ones with seams? I wanna know this because I'm upscaling my wardrobe. I'm about 20 pounds away from Nordstrom Rack!
From what I read, side seams contour to the body better, which is why they might be a popular choice for women, since people's bodies aren't tubular. T-shirts from economy brands are usually tubular because they are cheaper to manufacture.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:17 AM

6,107 posts, read 6,573,175 times
Quote:
What is the difference between basic and casual?
Yeah. I was wondering that myself.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 AM

3,229 posts, read 1,876,222 times
No one answered the scoop issue - it's fashion, pure and simple. People think they look stylish. I'm with the OP though - I want something higher so it's warmer. I bought a nice Smartwool base layer and the scoop is way more than it appeared in the pix, so it's not very good for cold days. I mean, it's a BASE layer - it's supposed to cover you!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:00 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,125 posts, read 14,216,937 times
In mild climates such as SoCal t-shirts are often used as the only layer. Of course in cold weather I may throw a zip up sweat shirt or a thick loose shirt like a Pendelton (worn as a light jacket).

However I like the look of a black t-shirt under a button short sleeve pocket shirt, the t-shirt can be seen only at the neck. I stole this look from one of my friends.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:46 AM

1,514 posts, read 774,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

This is a really interesting video and thanks for posting it. I looked at several T shirts I have to compare. I have one T shirt made from tubular knit and it is also the only T shirt I have that has the tape around the neck and shoulder seams. Seems inconsistent that tubular material will make a cheaper T shirt but the tape at neck and shoulder for sturdiness was used, which made it more expensive to manufacture. It is a heavier weight 50/50 fabric. It is also the only T shirt I have with the wider ribbing at the neck--also more expensive than the narrow ribbing most common. This shirt is also a men's T shirt. (I guess they want to give more sturdiness in a man's shirt because men wear T shirts for activities more so than for fashion.)

My other T shirts--lower end like Hanes and Fruit of the Loom and more expensive ones that have a Blair and Bedford Fair label--none have the shoulder/neckline tape and all have the more scooped necklines, shorter sleeves (much! unless they are long sleeved) and are (mostly) a lighter weight fabric. They also have the side seams.

I noticed on the video when it showed the layout of the patterns to be cut from the computerized machines that the scoop of the neckline is almost all wasted fabric. So, I guess it is mainly for fashion that women's T shirts are given more scoop to the neckline. As for winter warmth, I have--just this year--purchased a couple of neck dickeys to wear under the "scoopier" necklines for the added warmth. They were not easy to find either. I ended up buying them on ebay.

All-in-all, I think women get the shorter end of the stick from manufacturers when it comes to mass produced clothing.

Thanks to everyone who posted. The knowledge and information shared is really appreciated.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
No one answered the scoop issue - it's fashion, pure and simple. People think they look stylish. I'm with the OP though - I want something higher so it's warmer. I bought a nice Smartwool base layer and the scoop is way more than it appeared in the pix, so it's not very good for cold days. I mean, it's a BASE layer - it's supposed to cover you!

I went to the Smartwool website to look at, and compare, base layers for men and women. Look at the base layer for men here https://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-clothing-baselayers and the base layers for women here https://www.smartwool.com/shop/women...ing-baselayers Same price and probably same fabric but a big, scoop neckline for women, thinner ribbing and shorter sleeves (in the short sleeve versions) than for the same item for men. Presumably the same amount of labor goes into each one so that may account for the same price. The longer sleeved base layers are presumably for colder weather but the women still get a lower neckline than the men.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:12 PM

8,120 posts, read 3,961,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I noticed on the video when it showed the layout of the patterns to be cut from the computerized machines that the scoop of the neckline is almost all wasted fabric. So, I guess it is mainly for fashion that women's T shirts are given more scoop to the neckline. As for winter warmth, I have--just this year--purchased a couple of neck dickeys to wear under the "scoopier" necklines for the added warmth. They were not easy to find either. I ended up buying them on ebay.

All-in-all, I think women get the shorter end of the stick from manufacturers when it comes to mass produced clothing.

Some people prefer the scoop necks. I HATE HATE HATE anything with a high neck. I feel like I'm choking. It's an absolute no to turtlenecks (mock or otherwise) and I'll pass on most crew necks. Give me a scoop or v-neck. Yep, even in the dead of winter. I have scarves if needed.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I worked for the largest imprinted wholesaler in the country we carried Hanes T-shirt in adult, ladies, and kids, also carried Gildan , Fruit of the loom, ,Jerzee, and champion, T-shirt’s come in 50/50 and 100% cotton. All the T-shirt’s we received from the mills were hand sewers who sew them they are paid by what they called pice work. And when we received a shipment it would be over a 1,000 cases with each case holding 72 T-shirt’s of one size and one color. We also had long sleeve T-shirt’s and sweat shirts and sweat pants. This is we’re i worked and retired from after working 30 years.

https://www.alphabroder.com

Since you worked for this company for so many years you are THE expert on T shirts. I looked at their website and they seem to have every possibility of T shirt available on the market today. I note the weights of the fabrics are listed in descriptions and this is something I wish we could see on the labels of what we purchase from ALL online outlets for T shirts. In-store we can judge by feel and sight the weight but generally are left to guess at anything we purchase online. Fabric weights seem to range from 4 oz to 6 oz. Can you tell us what this actually means? I prefer heavier weight fabrics because they wear better, dry better and look better on.

I, personally, like the 50-50 blends because they stay soft and hold their shape better with repeated washing and drying. I always dry my clothing in the dryer about 5-6 minutes on high and then hang on hangers immediately on a bar I installed. The 50-50 blends dry pretty much wrinkle-free and even the cottons do well when cared for this way. 50-50 stains more than cotton but pre-treatment with Oxyclean takes care of most of the stains.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:11 PM

2,721 posts, read 716,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
The only scoop neck T-shirt’s are mostly made for woman we call them ladies scoop ts. Fold and glider and Hanes witch owns champion. Jerzee is Russell athletic. Fruit of the loom also makes musingwear. Izod also makes van-husan. And Vf Corp makes Lee brands and use to be called Basset Walker Corp. and most of your high end T-shirt’s love polo and Izod are made overseas in Vietnam or other Asian countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or