U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 02:21 PM

2,640 posts, read 692,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Since you worked for this company for so many years you are THE expert on T shirts. I looked at their website and they seem to have every possibility of T shirt available on the market today. I note the weights of the fabrics are listed in descriptions and this is something I wish we could see on the labels of what we purchase from ALL online outlets for T shirts. In-store we can judge by feel and sight the weight but generally are left to guess at anything we purchase online. Fabric weights seem to range from 4 oz to 6 oz. Can you tell us what this actually means? I prefer heavier weight fabrics because they wear better, dry better and look better on.

I, personally, like the 50-50 blends because they stay soft and hold their shape better with repeated washing and drying. I always dry my clothing in the dryer about 5-6 minutes on high and then hang on hangers immediately on a bar I installed. The 50-50 blends dry pretty much wrinkle-free and even the cottons do well when cared for this way. 50-50 stains more than cotton but pre-treatment with Oxyclean takes care of most of the stains.
T-shirt’s do come in different fabric weights all the way from a cheap 50/50 T-shirt’s that concert promoters buy to shoot into the crowd to a heavy weight 100% cotton t like Hanes Beefy T to a light weight 100% cotton t . Jerzee 29m 50/50 ts are a good mid weight t. Gilden 2000G T-shirt’s was a heavy weight 100% their 5000G T-shirt’s were a middle weigh T-shirt’s. You can call Broder and get T-shirt swatches of the different fabrics and colors. The problem with 50/50 T-shirt’s is that they don’t wick moisture away like sweat 100% absorbs moisture witch i wear. Now you can’t get a 100% sweat shirt you can get close with a 80/20 blend. And yes we carry everything because we sell to the screen printing business and the embroidery industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 02:43 PM

3,203 posts, read 1,857,894 times
Quote:
I went to the Smartwool website to look at, and compare, base layers for men and women. Look at the base layer for men here https://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-clothing-baselayers and the base layers for women here https://www.smartwool.com/shop/women...ing-baselayers Same price and probably same fabric but a big, scoop neckline for women, thinner ribbing and shorter sleeves (in the short sleeve versions) than for the same item for men. Presumably the same amount of labor goes into each one so that may account for the same price. The longer sleeved base layers are presumably for colder weather but the women still get a lower neckline than the men.
Yep! I have the Merino 150 long sleeve and that picture is not correct at all! Let's just say if I'm not wearing something over it, I have to be careful bending down. I don't think it's in their lifestyle collection and they are known for quality performance clothing so it really surprised me. Other than that, it's a great top.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:46 PM

3,203 posts, read 1,857,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The only scoop neck T-shirt’s are mostly made for woman we call them ladies scoop ts. Fold and glider and Hanes witch owns champion. Jerzee is Russell athletic. Fruit of the loom also makes musingwear. Izod also makes van-husan. And Vf Corp makes Lee brands and use to be called Basset Walker Corp. and most of your high end T-shirt’s love polo and Izod are made overseas in Vietnam or other Asian countries.
Yes, the OP was talking about ladies ts. There are many other brands that have an even deeper scoop for ladies: Bella, American Apparel, Threadfast etc

The Smartwool top was not called scoop but yet it was (I bought mine a few winters ago)

Old 10-01-2018, 04:35 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,345,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Some people prefer the scoop necks. I HATE HATE HATE anything with a high neck. I feel like I'm choking. It's an absolute no to turtlenecks (mock or otherwise) and I'll pass on most crew necks. Give me a scoop or v-neck. Yep, even in the dead of winter. I have scarves if needed.
Me too! I have been known to even cut a slit in a regular tee shirt just to open up the neckline.

I can't handle anything touching the front of my neck.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:18 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,620 posts, read 14,078,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Me too! I have been known to even cut a slit in a regular tee shirt just to open up the neckline.
Just curious do you hem or otherwise close the cut edges so they won't fray?

I'm a man. I'm just interested in that part of a woman's .... attire!

Old 10-01-2018, 06:38 PM

1,512 posts, read 769,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The only scoop neck T-shirt’s are mostly made for woman we call them ladies scoop ts. Fold and glider and Hanes witch owns champion. Jerzee is Russell athletic. Fruit of the loom also makes musingwear. Izod also makes van-husan. And Vf Corp makes Lee brands and use to be called Basset Walker Corp. and most of your high end T-shirt’s love polo and Izod are made overseas in Vietnam or other Asian countries.

Wow. The brands overlap and you don't know who makes what anymore.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:35 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,620 posts, read 14,078,076 times
That's what I thought too. From now on I'm going to just read the label and feel the fabric.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 PM

4,640 posts, read 7,207,012 times
Quote:
Wow. The brands overlap and you don't know who makes what anymore.
IZOD is owned by PVH, who also owns Van Heusen, ARROW, Warner's, Olga, Geoffrey Beene, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, and the exclusive North American license to Speedo. The Heritage Brands division includes all of their brands except Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger.

One T-shirt that I have been a fan of this past spring was their Doubler Crew Neck Tee. This shirt has a double-layered neck, with the outer layer being the color of the shirt and the inner layer being gray. I bought them in pink and blue.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:58 AM

741 posts, read 223,455 times
i buy a basic T shirt pattern and sew my own, costs on average (depending on what quality knit fabric i use) about $1.50 to make one.... i also hand letter/embroider, applique them if need be.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 AM

1,512 posts, read 769,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
i buy a basic T shirt pattern and sew my own, costs on average (depending on what quality knit fabric i use) about $1.50 to make one.... i also hand letter/embroider, applique them if need be.

Wow!! Do you have a special sewing machine--a serger or other machine--for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or