Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 05:56 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times

Advertisements

Wondering if this is possible? I want to read a book on being a minimalist, and not necessarily cutting down to a point where there’s truly nothing, but at same time, keeping things in check
(100 kitchen items)
(100 books)
(100 wardrobe items)
Etc.
It doesn’t sound that minimalist and it isn’t, but if I’m being honest I’d guess most people have a lot more than this (including myself, currently unfortunately), so here goes.

-10 underwear
-10 pairs of socks (2 wool, 5 dress, 3 athletic)
-3 suits (maybe one is a sports coat)
-1 tux
-1 overcoat/trench
25 (keeping track)
-7 dress pants/chinos
-4 ties
-2 casual shoes (1 running, 1 white)
-2 dress shoes (different colors)
-10 button downs (formal dress shirt)
-10 casual button downs/varied
-5 polo shirts
-2 belts (different color)
-1 heavy coat
-2 casual/light jackets
-12 t shirts (hey, I am casual LOL)
-4 khaki/chino shorts
-4 running shorts/swim trunks
-3 hats (varied)
-4 pairs of jeans
-1 sweatpants
-1 hooded sweatshirt
-1 sweater

I don’t know if this exactly gets the balance right, but it would seem to be reasonable for a working professional, active 20 something? Curious to hear mix of suggestions, because in an attempt to simplify and increase focus, I may just do something like this at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Thanks so much OP for starting this thread, which really hits home for me personally.
I'm female and I've also been thinking about doing something like this. But at different numbers.
An article I read was authored by a woman who had 28 total pieces of clothing, not including socks, underwear and shoes.
Including everything -- 75 pieces.

She says she regularly only wears the same nine pieces...which I totally understand because for about two years I wore the same 10 pieces of clothing, and same two pairs of shoes. ONE outfit for each day of the week. Getting dressed was soooooo easy!

But I kept all of the other clothes I didn't wear -- and/or couldn't fit into. It's a shame because I have things with the tags still on them. I'm almost a clothes hoarder. I impulse buy, because I like an item....knowing it likely won't replace my basic go-to pieces. But I like it so I buy it. I hardly go shopping, and I go to Walmart or thrift stores, or Marshals where a family member gets a discount. So it's all at VERY, VERY low price points. So it's not like it's a lot of money spent per se. But I'm just looking around at accumulated "stuff" most of which is not bringing me enjoyment anymore....

Anyway, OP, back to 28, 75 or owning only 100 pieces of clothing.....
I think that could simplify the wardrobe part of your life, and might also subconsciously just allowing for focusing energies on other things that really are more important that what a person wears.

Personally, given that I've already really only worn 10 pieces for more than a year....
I know I could easily reduce my clothing selection to:
My numbers are different: 1 -- because I'm female, 2) I go by outfits for days of the week, and 3) I don't like doing laundry eery week and the more clothes you have the less often you have to do laundry

- 21 underwear
- 7 bras
- 7 pairs of socks

- 1 suit (I hardly, ever, ever wear suits. I do separates)...so...
- 5 pairs of business casual pants
- 5 business casual tops
- 5 relaxed fit business casual cardigans that I'd wear as a jacket

- 2 dress pants (dinners out, different style and fabric than the office pants for work)
- 2 dress tops
- 2 dresses
- 2 skirts (which I NEVER wear, but I suppose one should have on hand)
- 2 scarves (one winter one casual)
- 1 dress shawl (over the shoulder wrap for events and dinners out)
- 2 casual shoes (1 very casual everyday, 1 a nicer looking every day)
- 2 dress shoes (both black, different styles/heel heights, or maybe two pairs of pumps, one regular, one sling back)
- 2 sandals

- 3 casual pants (casual knit for days off, errands, casual eating out)
- 3 T-shirts (which are my casual, weekend wear)
- 3 casual tops that are not T-shirts
- 1 belt (I usually don't wear belts of any kind)
- 1 pair of shorts which I'd never wear, but what the heck, just have a pair
- 1 sneakers (which I NEVER wear but I guess you should have, just because)
- bathing suit (see above)
- 2 hats (winter, rain)
- 2 pairs of jeans (just because, but I usually never wear, because I already have my go-to casual pants)
- 2 sweatpants (I for winter pajamas, the other "just because")
- 1 sweater (don't wear, but again just because you should have one)

- 2 winter coats (one dress, one casual, either one could double as a rain coat, depending on style)
- 1 light casual jacket (windbreaker)
- 1 heavy outer jacket (winter/fall, fleece, ribbed cuffs)

- 1 robe (just because)
- 1 sleeping gown
- 1 pair of pajamas
- 1 housecoat (yes I'm old and still know what that is and use that term)
- 4 pocketbooks (another older term for purse (two dress, two casual, different styles and sizes, clutch/crossbody, etc)
- 2 tote bags (one office, one more casual)

I could pare this down even more -- for example: only TWO weekend outfits instead of three....just pajamas, no gown, and NO skirts -- given that I haven't worn one in more than a decade.
But, the list above would still be VERY paired down for me as I have more than 100 each of some things. I'm one person in a three bedroom house, and I don't have enough closet space for clothes so one of the bedrooms has been turned into a defacto closet.
And I know of course, that I'm not wearing 99% of all this "stuff." Every day I ask myself what am I keeping it for?

Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanks for responding and adding on with your list! I think whatever it is we are trying to minimize, it helps to have a group to plan it with. For me personally, I am currently in the dissertation phase of my doctorate yet I find myself (probably conveniently), very often distracted. I think somehow, even extending this over to things like mindfulness and thought could have a dynamic impact on my ability of finish, and the kind of person/worker I will be moving forward. Clothes is just more of an outward expression of that, and also begs the question, how much space do we really need, and how should the space and $ we get back be used for other matters of increased value?

This article is compelling, though I am in South Tampa Bay and so I would assume that places like this are a fair distance away from our area lol: https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-ren...ded-1538053200

Anyways, back to the subject at hand, I appreciate seeing your list also as it gives a frame of reference for my own and also that of my wife. I am one that is more than content to put off laundry, though I can't help but think about how much easier it might end up being if I need to laundry once a week out of necessity, and how much less that means of putting in, putting away, etc.

I think that 3 major factors that are going to influence how this list looks for individuals would be personal taste/style, where one lives, and the profession in which one works.

For instance, I live in Florida, otherwise I would've included more items like a raincoat, jackets, hooded sweatshirts, gloves, general outerwear. If I were to move somewhere with more of a winter season, I might adapt my list to fit those needs.

You also may see that flip flops/sandals are not included, honestly just not my thing, nor are cutoffs. I might add a nice pair of sunglasses or a nice watch, but I can't say that I regularly use either of those yet, at least not consistently.

In looking at your list and comparing to mine, I may substitute or eliminate a few things in place of
-Sunglasses
-Wristwatch
-Bags (though I wasn't really counting those as clothing
-Scarf (though again, I rarely have use for one)
-Pajama Pants
-1 Additional/Different Sweater, and a Cardigan

As a sports fan, I also might have a jersey or two, but honestly, those would come out of the casual t-shirt collection

It sounds weird being in Florida, but having been from Ohio, I can say that I really prefer the northern climate/feel. Probably my ideal look for a somewhat more formal day (with ideal weather in the 50s in the AM to low 70s would be:
Dress Shoes (or Plain White Tennis Shoes, though admittedly I probably wear my running shoes around quite often)
Jeans or Blue Chinos
Nice Polo/T Shirt, or Casual Button Down
Light Bomber Jacket (I just like the look/feel)

Adjusting of course if I'm doing something more active, or attending a sporting event/going out to watch one, but I've become pickier about sports stuff too. It has to have a right fit, and I prefer the wicking/dryfit material for comfort/look. Honestly though, one of my major problems is that while I don't personally buy many clothes, family seems to want to get them at holidays and such quite often. It seems to happen with stuff in general and while I really do appreciate the thought and some of the stuff is useful, I would rather not continue to accumulate things, hahah!

Old 10-01-2018, 12:25 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Personally I prefer the idea of a capsule wardrobe, where you mix and match pieces to get different looks. So it's not so much about the number of pieces you own, but more about maximizing the number of combinations you can create while minimizing the pieces you have. I can't say that I've yet achieved a good capsule wardrobe, but it's a concept I like to keep in mind when I'm shopping. I don't like to buy something unless I can mentally create multiple outfits with it using the current contents of my wardrobe.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:05 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I'm just going for simpler and more minimalist in possessions in general.
It saves money and doesn't add to the stash of crap (items) I already have and should get rid of.

I saw a money makeover show (from YEEARS ago when prices were cheaper) where a woman who had a shopping/debt issue was told she had 10K worth of jeans in her closet...just jeans. Not including shoes and other clothes. Of course she didn't wear all of them. They were just folded in her walk-in closet which looked like a boutique.

That number....$10,000 in just jeans -- just so shocked me...that from that day forward....I stoped spending as much as I was on clothes I knew I likely would never wear. It just changed the way I look at how much money I'm willing to spend for what I put on my back. That and hearing the old stand-by, "people only wear about 10% of their wardrobe." I just can't rationalize spending a lot of money on clothes anymore. Other things (and saving) are just more important.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Personally I prefer the idea of a capsule wardrobe, where you mix and match pieces to get different looks. So it's not so much about the number of pieces you own, but more about maximizing the number of combinations you can create while minimizing the pieces you have. I can't say that I've yet achieved a good capsule wardrobe, but it's a concept I like to keep in mind when I'm shopping. I don't like to buy something unless I can mentally create multiple outfits with it using the current contents of my wardrobe.
That's a good point-I have seen ones like this: https://lifehacker.com/you-can-have-...ece-1794464598

However, I don't think I would be capable of going THAT minimalist As there are other things beyond just a suit (assuming meant by jacket), and dress shirts/pants every day of the week, all the time. But I get, and agree with the underlying premise!

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. I think some people form addictions on something like shopping that initially gives them some sort of confidence boost or high, and get so wrapped up in it that they forget even why they were doing it to begin with.

To your point about spending "a lot" on clothes: I think we generally agree. I certainly never intend to be someone who has all the latest pieces, etc. At the same time though, and I'm not saying one can't find some good things occasionally at thrift shops, or that I'm above them or anything of the sort, but I do think sometimes it's worth it to go out and spend a decent bit on something that is quality, will last, and is good looking/comfortable.

Ex: I could never see myself spending what some people do, say like 200$ on jeans, 2,000$ suit, woah!!! But, at the same time, would I go out and drop $400-$500 for a nice, classy, good fit suit that will last for 5-10 years? Possibly. Would I go to Banana Republic perhaps, *once* a year and drop 200-300$ on maybe 7-12 pieces that fit well and I would wear regularly? Maybe. I think that we are generally in agreement, but I also think that if you get something that is good and is built to last, A) I'm not superficial, but I'm aware appearances and looking put together matters, in terms of life and career development B) Oftentimes, getting that thing that you really like wearing may save subsequent, cheaper shopping trips in the future for stuff that doesn't last as long and isn't as nice, so that said person ends up spending just as much money on their clothes in the aggregate.

I think I'm someone that thinks little touches are perhaps more important than bigger ones, so at such point that I have my own office, while I may never get a really expensive suit, I will probably have a nice-ish time piece/watch, and maybe a nicer belt or longer lasting dress shoes. I dunno.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 10-01-2018 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 05:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I'm a maximalist. For example, I never had cowboy boots so I bought my first pair early this year. I like them so much that in later months I've bought 5 more pairs, and 2 pairs of Uggs.

I don't understand why anybody would want to be a minimalist. 10 t-shirts costs the same as 1 t-shirt, because 10 t-shirts will last 10 times longer. It's called total cost of ownership.

I enjoy having a larger wardrobe because I have more to select from and more coordinating opportunities.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm a maximalist. For example, I never had cowboy boots so I bought my first pair early this year. I like them so much that in later months I've bought 5 more pairs, and 2 pairs of Uggs.

I don't understand why anybody would want to be a minimalist. 10 t-shirts costs the same as 1 t-shirt, because 10 t-shirts will last 10 times longer. It's called total cost of ownership.

I enjoy having a larger wardrobe because I have more to select from and more coordinating opportunities.
Nothing wrong with that and everyone is different! I don’t think that people will necessarily be not wanting things, but I do find when there’s less around, you spend less time on laundry in all likelihood, and B, that space can be used for other purposes, etc.

I think your argument is part true. If you have a t Shirt, or any article of clothing, for that matter, I feel like much of why or how long it will last will depend more on quality of Shirt and less on how often said Shirt is worn.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't understand why anybody would want to be a minimalist.

Well for me, it's because owning too much of anything is just too overwhelming. I don't want a claustrophobic home where I'm being suffocated by my possessions.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I think it's more a situation of claustrophobia then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty