U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:17 AM

1,511 posts, read 767,829 times

Advertisements

Hoping there are members who know just how women's T shirts are actually made. Are the parts knitted on a template and then sewn together or are they cut from a pattern and then the parts sewn together? Asking because I am wondering why so many long-sleeve winter T shirts have wide, scoop-type necks instead of the higher necklines which would give more warmth in the wintertime. Less cost per garment would make sense if shirts are knitted from a template but not if cut from patterns as the wasted material goes where? Into the trash? Anyone who has ever cut their own clothing from patterns and made it themselves knows there is always a lot of scraps left over after cutting out a pattern. In previous generations women saved those scraps for doll clothes, quilts and future repairs but what use would the manufacturers of T shirts have for scraps if cutting from a pattern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 03:51 PM

4,625 posts, read 7,188,861 times
T-shirts are typically made of a single knit fabric known as jersey. Typically they are knitted using a knitting machine.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:39 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times
Whut? My t-shirts have seams. They look like cut from patterns then sewn.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Whut? My t-shirts have seams. They look like cut from patterns then sewn.
I have noticed that more casual and designer T-shirts tend to have side seams (composed of two jersey fabrics sewn together to make one T-shirt), while more basic T-shirts and those for sleep generally do not. I don't have too much experience with women's T-shirts, but that is typically the case for men's T-shirts.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:49 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
I was wearing a $4.99 t-shirt from Walmart when I typed that. Actually as well as I can remember general prices, I can't find any rhyme or reason, some have seams, some not.

TBH I had thought all t-shirts had seams so I'm at least wrong on one point. A few that were more expensive did have seams.

They make t-shirts for sleep? I thought that the idea was to just buy 2-3 sizes too large.

I'm just using my imagination, maybe this is reality, it would be nice to have longer t-shirts for sleep, like long enough to cover your cheeks. The XXLs do that for me. My normal size is S. That's S/CH in Chinese.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:04 AM

7,954 posts, read 3,862,498 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=subeIZgLquI

Old 09-30-2018, 03:26 PM

2,578 posts, read 682,597 times
I worked for the largest imprinted wholesaler in the country we carried Hanes T-shirt in adult, ladies, and kids, also carried Gildan , Fruit of the loom, ,Jerzee, and champion, T-shirt’s come in 50/50 and 100% cotton. All the T-shirt’s we received from the mills were hand sewers who sew them they are paid by what they called pice work. And when we received a shipment it would be over a 1,000 cases with each case holding 72 T-shirt’s of one size and one color. We also had long sleeve T-shirt’s and sweat shirts and sweat pants. This is we’re i worked and retired from after working 30 years.

https://www.alphabroder.com

Old 09-30-2018, 03:46 PM

For men's T-shirts, I have noticed that economy brands such as Hanes, Gildan, and Fruit of the Loom generally do not have side seams (since I presume they are intended to be basic and not really to be very casual), while mid-range to premium brands such as IZOD and Polo Ralph Lauren have the side seams, since these are supposed to be more casual than your typical T-shirt.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:05 PM

9,314 posts, read 17,946,933 times
There is some fabric that is made as one really long tube, which I would expect would be the basis for the 'no side seams' types of shirts. For the ones with seams, they're probably cut from flat jersey knit type fabric.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:20 PM

What is the difference between basic and casual?

And yeah, the only way you can have no seams is to start with a fabric tube.

It's interesting that sewn seams gives the pattern designer the ability to taper the shirt.

So for the best quality t-shirts I should buy the ones with seams? I wanna know this because I'm upscaling my wardrobe. I'm about 20 pounds away from Nordstrom Rack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or