U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 06:40 PM

7,961 posts, read 3,862,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think it's more a situation of claustrophobia then.

Well, perhaps a poor choice of words. I'm not really claustrophic. I just don't want more possessions than I need because it does become overwhelming. There's no point in owning 500 pieces of clothing when I only wear 20% of them. And that's all I would wear. Because I can't possibly remember every piece of a 500-piece wardrobe, and even looking through them, most would be forgotten and go unused.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 09:59 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times
I'm thinking of shooting pics of my t-shirts and maybe print them on cards and laminate them... Or maybe a database...

I think that not having enough room for your clothing is merely an indication that you need a bigger home. Or a second home!

Old 10-03-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
II think that not having enough room for your clothing is merely an indication that you need a bigger home. Or a second home!

Oh hell no. I actually downsized two years ago to a smaller home because I had more space than I needed. Why would I spend more money just to store stuff I don't need?

Old 10-03-2018, 07:41 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,686,929 times
I'm a minimalist with most things, except clothes. However, I do still limit myself. I feel like limiting based on a set quantity is arbitrary. If it fits neatly and organized without closet and our one chest of drawers then we are good. We purge once or twice a year to make room for new stuff. But once again, it's not based on a set quantity or list. We purge things we havent worn in quite a while or that need to be replaced to make room for some new stuff.

My SO and I have a studio apartment and we both love clothes but we still limit it to the small space we have. It's just very organized to maximize the use of the storage space!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:04 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
Stock your closet with navy, white, beige clothing and you will need far less. No matter what's in the laundry, you still can make an outfit.

I did this years ago when I was working and boy, howdy! did it make life easier.

Of course, bets are off for week-end hanging out wear but keeping your work life more organized is the saving grace.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Stock your closet with navy, white, beige clothing and you will need far less. No matter what's in the laundry, you still can make an outfit.
Or black, white, and grey, as is my preference.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:32 AM

8,382 posts, read 5,021,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Wondering if this is possible? I want to read a book on being a minimalist, and not necessarily cutting down to a point where there’s truly nothing, but at same time, keeping things in check
(100 kitchen items)
(100 books)
(100 wardrobe items)
Etc.
It doesn’t sound that minimalist and it isn’t, but if I’m being honest I’d guess most people have a lot more than this (including myself, currently unfortunately), so here goes.

-10 underwear
-10 pairs of socks (2 wool, 5 dress, 3 athletic)
-3 suits (maybe one is a sports coat)
-1 tux
-1 overcoat/trench
25 (keeping track)
-7 dress pants/chinos
-4 ties
-2 casual shoes (1 running, 1 white)
-2 dress shoes (different colors)
-10 button downs (formal dress shirt)
-10 casual button downs/varied
-5 polo shirts
-2 belts (different color)
-1 heavy coat
-2 casual/light jackets
-12 t shirts (hey, I am casual LOL)
-4 khaki/chino shorts
-4 running shorts/swim trunks
-3 hats (varied)
-4 pairs of jeans
-1 sweatpants
-1 hooded sweatshirt
-1 sweater

I don’t know if this exactly gets the balance right, but it would seem to be reasonable for a working professional, active 20 something? Curious to hear mix of suggestions, because in an attempt to simplify and increase focus, I may just do something like this at some point.
I have a closet full of clothes, but since retiring 5 years ago I wear almost NONE of them. My daily rotation is down to...

All the time:
  • 10 Novelty Tee Shirts (mostly superhero),
  • 15 Under shirts, some white, some colored
  • 20-25 Pair of Gym Socks of varying length
  • 8 Baseball Jerseys to wear over the tee's on cooler spring and fall days
  • about 15-20 ballcaps
  • 4 Pair of New Balance Walking shoes. I buy a new pair every 3-6 months, the oldest are used in the garden before they are trashed.
Summer (hot weather):
  • 4 Pairs of gym shorts,
Winter (colder weather):
  • 4 Pairs of track pants,
  • 4 Hoodies

I sometimes think I have really let go, but after a career of suit, tie, and shined shoes I no longer care to dress up. I no longer really date so I dress strictly for myself and that's for comfort. On a daily basis, the only places I go are:
  • Out for a walk
  • To the supermarket/department store
  • To the hardware/lumber store
  • For a drive out into the country

In case I need to "dress" (so far used for two funerals), I have:
  • three sport jackets that I know fit
  • three "dress/casual" docker slacks (dark, beige, white) that I know fit
  • two white dress shirts
  • 1 pair of dress/casual shoes that I know fit.
  • an army of ties, belts, and dress socks from the work days.
Now that I think about it, I probably should make a trip to the good will to dump all the stuff I no longer wear. And I need to get some casual-non gym shorts. Zip-off cargos sound right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty