U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 AM

3,955 posts, read 957,585 times

Advertisements

Male vs female perception of outfits

Female: My outfit is a soft pastel that is comfortable, light, airy, and accentuates my waistline, slim shoulders, and subtly brings out the way I walk; it also sets of the curve of my neck and color-complements my hair to perfection.

Male: Her outfit gets in the way.

Any questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 03:23 PM

485 posts, read 520,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Oh men definitely can get charged up by clothes that aren't traditionally sexy. Kind of like the woman wearing only a man's button down "the morning after"? And most men will tell you that a woman in good-fitting T-shirt and jeans is by far sexier than one in a dress.

The soft drapeyness of the shirt probably was what got him. You don't have to show cleavage for your boobs to look good. Just the way the fabric hangs can show them off a certain way.

But his comment about "your rack" was super-rude.
As a man, I don't agree with the bolded, and I bet most other men don't either. Jeans and t-shirt definitely has its place, but you just can't beat a sundress on a nice figure imo.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:14 PM

619 posts, read 228,680 times
"So have you noticed cases where men and women perceive outfits completely differently?"

yes.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:59 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,513,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I went to a party yesterday, which I thought was gonna be a low key game night. Turned out to be a busy singles mixer.

So I put in a super casual and comfortable outfit since I was thinking couches and games. This was fancy workout leggings - moto inspired. And a drapey super soft t-shirt. And flat mules. It was a fancy t-shirt, tunic length with nice drape. Crew neck - so I was covered up. It had a conversation starting phrase on it, in my chest. But casual nonetheless. The mules were the only “dressy” element.

Definitely not what I’d wear if I was “trying” to look cute. My go to is a dress.

So I ran into a person (he’s gay) I met at a previous party. And he commented on my shirt. I gave him the bsck story. And told him I got it because it was really soft. He agreed and commented “it is like you ate wearing pjs and it accentuates your rack.”

I was completely confused that this shirt was perceived as breast-enhancing. It was just a basic t-shirt lol. Not super thick, but not even remotely sheer, nor was it thin enough to make out the lines of my non-seamless bra.

Then I started to wonder if other people read it the same way. And if I could wear it on casual Friday. I thought it was downright conservative.

So have you noticed cases where men and women perceive outfits completely differently?

Now if he made a snarky comment about your "Mules", you could have paraphrased Clint Eastwood in, Fistful of Dollars and stared at him with a hard squint and said, "My Mules don't like it when people make fun of them, now if you'll apologize...."

(Of course, it probably would be lost on a gay man, but I would have been ROFLMAO at the turn of phrase) then you would have truly 'busted' his chops.

On the topic of perception, yes, perceptions of an outfit will often be different between sexes, more so, if there is no interest or knowledge of fashion by the man and based upon the environment. For instance, some men may think anything tight on a woman is an invite to be overly scrutinized and considered overtly sexy.

There can be an element to certain clothing known only to the viewer based on their individual life experiences. Say, something worn by the females they first found attractive in their sexually formative years, or those that prompt pleasant memories etc... BTW, did the shirt say something playful or provocative?

An example of different perception I recall from long ago. In my college years an older sister (did runway modeling) would take me shopping with her to get a mans impression of outfits. One in particular I recall was this nice two tone colored dress. I think the top was a dark red and the lower portion a dark blue. The cut and transition of the color was slightly contoured to emphasize the natural lines of a woman. It had a snug fit waist to apex of derriere with looser sharp cut top, which from a distance looked like a skirt with a classy fitted top. I let her know it was a keeper and she didn't quite understand why. It looked sharp for a work environment and also had a hint of sexy because of its contour and cut (on the right female figure of course).

A female in the work environment long ago would wear delightful summer dresses in season and I was compelled to let her know how wonderful one looked (this was before today's atmosphere of fearing a PC retribution for saying something complimentary) and she didn't understand how her simple 'dress' was nice... oh well, I guess she didn't know she was beautiful.

As for your shirt enhancing your breasts, a lot of it has to do with endowment and what you have emblazoned across the upper torso. If your puppies are St Bernard's versus Yorkie's, no matter what you wear they cannot be hidden. And oftentimes men (immature one's) will act like you are there only to save them in the event they are lost in the mountains (per the myth making painting by a 17 year old English painter Edward Landseer) - an early example of "Fake News" from the early 19th century!

Old 10-08-2018, 11:54 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
BTW, did the shirt say something playful or provocative?
Playful - but nothing too crazy. I mentioned above, it said “hella” and a snarky definition.

Quote:
An example of different perception I recall from long ago. In my college years an older sister (did runway modeling) would take me shopping with her to get a mans impression of outfits. One in particular I recall was this nice two tone colored dress. I think the top was a dark red and the lower portion a dark blue. The cut and transition of the color was slightly contoured to emphasize the natural lines of a woman. It had a snug fit waist to apex of derriere with looser sharp cut top, which from a distance looked like a skirt with a classy fitted top. I let her know it was a keeper and she didn't quite understand why. It looked sharp for a work environment and also had a hint of sexy because of its contour and cut (on the right female figure of course).
This sounds like my favorite kind of sexy outfit.

Quote:
As for your shirt enhancing your breasts, a lot of it has to do with endowment and what you have emblazoned across the upper torso. If your puppies are St Bernard's versus Yorkie's, no matter what you wear they cannot be hidden. And oftentimes men (immature one's) will act like you are there only to save them in the event they are lost in the mountains (per the myth making painting by a 17 year old English painter Edward Landseer) - an early example of "Fake News" from the early 19th century!

Lol. I am more like a Saint Bernard. . I do not always wear something fitted there but it is definitely not unusual.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 AM

455 posts, read 310,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
What was the "conversation-starting phrase"?

But yes, if you have words displayed across your breasts, guess what, people will stare as they read, and then go back to check for proper capitalization, spelling, and punctuation.
Because men get very excited over blobs of fat.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 AM

5,813 posts, read 3,090,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Because men get very excited over blobs of fat.
Along with all the other secondary gender physical characteristics from longer flowing hair to thinner feet.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 AM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I went to a party yesterday, which I thought was gonna be a low key game night. Turned out to be a busy singles mixer.

So I put in a super casual and comfortable outfit since I was thinking couches and games. This was fancy workout leggings - moto inspired. And a drapey super soft t-shirt. And flat mules. It was a fancy t-shirt, tunic length with nice drape. Crew neck - so I was covered up. It had a conversation starting phrase on it, in my chest. But casual nonetheless. The mules were the only “dressy” element.

Definitely not what I’d wear if I was “trying” to look cute. My go to is a dress.

So I ran into a person (he’s gay) I met at a previous party. And he commented on my shirt. I gave him the bsck story. And told him I got it because it was really soft. He agreed and commented “it is like you ate wearing pjs and it accentuates your rack.”

I was completely confused that this shirt was perceived as breast-enhancing. It was just a basic t-shirt lol. Not super thick, but not even remotely sheer, nor was it thin enough to make out the lines of my non-seamless bra.

Then I started to wonder if other people read it the same way. And if I could wear it on casual Friday. I thought it was downright conservative.

So have you noticed cases where men and women perceive outfits completely differently?
Have you read the political threads?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:50 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Have you read the political threads?
I try to stay far away from that section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or