Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

So I went to a party yesterday, which I thought was gonna be a low key game night. Turned out to be a busy singles mixer.

So I put in a super casual and comfortable outfit since I was thinking couches and games. This was fancy workout leggings - moto inspired. And a drapey super soft t-shirt. And flat mules. It was a fancy t-shirt, tunic length with nice drape. Crew neck - so I was covered up. It had a conversation starting phrase on it, in my chest. But casual nonetheless. The mules were the only “dressy” element.

Definitely not what I’d wear if I was “trying” to look cute. My go to is a dress.

So I ran into a person (he’s gay) I met at a previous party. And he commented on my shirt. I gave him the bsck story. And told him I got it because it was really soft. He agreed and commented “it is like you ate wearing pjs and it accentuates your rack.”

I was completely confused that this shirt was perceived as breast-enhancing. It was just a basic t-shirt lol. Not super thick, but not even remotely sheer, nor was it thin enough to make out the lines of my non-seamless bra.

Then I started to wonder if other people read it the same way. And if I could wear it on casual Friday. I thought it was downright conservative.

So have you noticed cases where men and women perceive outfits completely differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 10:18 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Was it tight across the bust?

Maybe the wording draws attention to the bustline...perhaps that's it.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:37 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
I know many women perceive men who wear pink as confident enough in their masculinity, while many other men perceive it as gay.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I perceive men who wear pink as preppy and a bit old school.

I think young men will always see women a certain way, no matter the clothes. The fact that this guy was gay, probably shows that he is tuned in to how others might perceive you. I think what he said was tactless, personally.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I went to a party yesterday, which I thought was gonna be a low key game night. Turned out to be a busy singles mixer.

So I put in a super casual and comfortable outfit since I was thinking couches and games. This was fancy workout leggings - moto inspired. And a drapey super soft t-shirt. And flat mules. It was a fancy t-shirt, tunic length with nice drape. Crew neck - so I was covered up. It had a conversation starting phrase on it, in my chest. But casual nonetheless. The mules were the only “dressy” element.

Definitely not what I’d wear if I was “trying” to look cute. My go to is a dress.

So I ran into a person (he’s gay) I met at a previous party. And he commented on my shirt. I gave him the bsck story. And told him I got it because it was really soft. He agreed and commented “it is like you ate wearing pjs and it accentuates your rack.”

I was completely confused that this shirt was perceived as breast-enhancing. It was just a basic t-shirt lol. Not super thick, but not even remotely sheer, nor was it thin enough to make out the lines of my non-seamless bra.

Then I started to wonder if other people read it the same way. And if I could wear it on casual Friday. I thought it was downright conservative.

So have you noticed cases where men and women perceive outfits completely differently?
Oh men definitely can get charged up by clothes that aren't traditionally sexy. Kind of like the woman wearing only a man's button down "the morning after"? And most men will tell you that a woman in good-fitting T-shirt and jeans is by far sexier than one in a dress.

The soft drapeyness of the shirt probably was what got him. You don't have to show cleavage for your boobs to look good. Just the way the fabric hangs can show them off a certain way.

But his comment about "your rack" was super-rude.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:45 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
What was the "conversation-starting phrase"?

But yes, if you have words displayed across your breasts, guess what, people will stare as they read, and then go back to check for proper capitalization, spelling, and punctuation.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

As you described it, it sounded to me like an attractive, comfortable, easy-going outfit.

Wear it to work on casual Friday. I guarantee you no one will tell you that they think it accentuates your rack.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
What was the "conversation-starting phrase"?

But yes, if you have words displayed across your breasts, guess what, people will stare as they read, and then go back to check for proper capitalization, spelling, and punctuation.
Just some local slang - hella - and a slightly snarky definition. Basically the next logical question is where did you grow up.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:19 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
If your gay BFF thought it looked like pajamas, I would not wear it to work.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times
Dunno OP. But I like women to showcase their breasts and show as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty