U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:04 PM

403 posts, read 237,159 times

Advertisements

I wear mine on my head when I'm inside a building. Mostly because there is nowhere else to put them. I think it looks fine no matter what the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 08:17 PM

45 posts, read 25,055 times
Default Dorky?

I do this frequently with sunglasses. Never noticed any "oil" deposits from my hair onto the lenses.
As far a being considered "dorky," I'm not going to stroll around a store with sunglasses on to avoid risk looking like a nerd.

Now what I do find dorky are folks who wear NON-prescription glasses with over-sized frames with the belief it makes them appear more intelligent and/or attractive. It's easy to tell that the lenses of such glasses are just glass.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:29 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,433,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Not dorky.

What is dorky is wearing them on the back of your head like this.
And I pictured him when I started reading this thread. Ridiculous.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,433,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
When I was on a vacation in France about 3 years ago, I heard someone comment in a restaurant that you could always tell the Americans because they wore their glasses on top of their heads, and his companion agreed that it looked silly. It didn't sound complimentary but it didn't phase me one way or another (or stop me from doing it either).
I found the French rather rude while there, confirmed by your story.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:37 PM

6,623 posts, read 3,750,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Spice View Post
So, I still remember the 80s. Everyone used to wear their glasses not so much on their eyes, but on top of their head...

Lately, I've been told that's a definite no-no these days, and looks dorky. Especially since it just gets oils from your hair (no matter how well washed) into the lenses.

That said, I have to make many trips into the back-room at work (the stocking room), and it is a requirement to wear safety glasses there. It's ok, they give us these fancy ones that you can not even tell at a glance if they are dorky safety glasses or not.

However, I do not store them in my apron when I walk out on the floor again, because they will get scratched up too easily that way. So instead I hold/wear them on the top of my head.

Curious, when you see someone wear glasses that way, does it REALLY look dorky, or am I just paranoid from what other's have been saying on the issue?

Thanks in advance. And BTW, I'll still wear them on my head at work regardless of the results, it's just a curiosity thing...
It's a logical place to keep them, if you need to use them off and on. I do that sometimes, although I think it eventually damages the sides, since the head is wider than the width of the face over the ears.

I sometimes hang them off the front of my t-shirt, like at the grocery store.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:20 PM

10,097 posts, read 6,321,928 times
I'll tell you how dorky I am. On several road trips, I have worn my driving glasses with my readers sitting on top of my head.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:04 AM

1,550 posts, read 402,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I've never heard anybody call it dorky. Pretty much everybody I know does it. I don't do it with my seeing glasses, because then I couldn't see. I do it with sunglasses all the time
Well, you are talking about Ohio, you can't really compare that to the fashionable parts of the country.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,582,834 times
I would love to have the kind of hair that wouldnt get tousled if I put my specs or sungassed on my head.. to me its cool and Ive never been able to do it unless my hair is scraped back on holiday at the beach... my hair wouldnt take it. only recently I saw a tourist at our cathedral in Glasgow doing just this she had a short hairdo but long on the front and when she shoved it back with the glasses it looked fantastic, I envied her and her hair... cant see a thing wrong with it..

Old 10-17-2018, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 250 times
Default I will do this for all the glasses

Hello
I, though I know, wearing glasses on my head made the lenses dirty, but I did it. I occasionally put my sunglasses above my head and I use it as a Tel hair to keep my hair unclenched. I think it's not a mistake, and it can be cleaned up before you put it on your eyes.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 AM

3,895 posts, read 1,655,140 times
Years ago, I read that perching your glasses atop your head was "out", so I stopped doing it, but never found a good alternative. Eventually, I realized that it had probably gone in and out of style several times since I read that, AND I don't really care about what's in. So my readers perch most of the time. I have a cord on my sunglasses, so I can be a double geek. Or twice as cool, depending on current fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty