U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:17 PM

1,954 posts, read 2,535,178 times

Advertisements

I often wear my sunglasses on top of my head, sort of like a headband, as others have mentioned. I don't think it's dorky or weird, but even if it is, I really don't care.

I have a friend who wears glasses on top of her head as sort of a "fashion statement." In her case, it is a bit bizarre, but that's because she'll be wearing one pair on her face and then TWO pairs on her head. It's odd to me, because I've never seen or heard of anyone else doing it. But, she likes it and I doubt she cares what anyone else thinks about it. It's just unusual, at least to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 01:19 PM

14,026 posts, read 7,991,342 times
As an optician, I am amazed at how many threads are about how glasses "look" on people. They are a medical device first and foremost. They should help a person see better. Glasses do not improve the vision of your skull, your forehead, your cheeks, your kitchen table, and they certainly don't improve your car's vision. Pushing them up on the head is a common thing, but the problem with doing that is they often fall off when you bend down at all. If you want to keep taking them on and off but have them close by, an eyewear retainer is a good option.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:25 PM

3,454 posts, read 2,026,713 times
In the 90s I used croakies (real and fake) to hold my sunglasses on simply because they may fall off otherwise. Sometimes tucking them into a shirt would mean they'd fall off when I bent over. I don't know when I stopped with croakies but it's been years.

Now I have either readers or sunglasses on my head. I get dizzy if I try to walk around and look through the readers and I think I look silly walking with them at the end of my nose.

I also like that they hold my hair back and sometimes they leave a nice wave in my hair that looks great.

My biggest problem is what to do with the readers when the sunglasses are on top of my head already! I may have to go back to croakies like steiconi does so I can also be a double geek.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 1,440,188 times
I have tinted Rx driving glasses, clear Rx driving glasses, a pair of bifocals I wear when watching TV and embroidering at the same time, umpteen pairs of reading glasses, a pair that's really good with the computer, and a few pairs of non-prescription sunglasses.

What I need to do is invest in bifocals that darken in the sun, then just keep them on my face all the time. I've been meaning to do that for two years, what's the holdup?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 PM

3,405 posts, read 1,429,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As an optician, I am amazed at how many threads are about how glasses "look" on people. They are a medical device first and foremost. They should help a person see better. Glasses do not improve the vision of your skull, your forehead, your cheeks, your kitchen table, and they certainly don't improve your car's vision. Pushing them up on the head is a common thing, but the problem with doing that is they often fall off when you bend down at all. If you want to keep taking them on and off but have them close by, an eyewear retainer is a good option.
I wear sunglasses on my head because if I put them other places, I often lose them or sit on them. With sunglasses, it might be one second that you need them and another that you donít need them. I am not sure where else it makes sense to put them except on the top of your head. It is the same with readers. If you are at a desk and need them for something but then need to talk to someone far away, usually readers are cheap enough that if they fall/break, it doesnít really matter that much anyway.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:55 PM

10,771 posts, read 6,023,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's a logical place to keep them, if you need to use them off and on. I do that sometimes, although I think it eventually damages the sides, since the head is wider than the width of the face over the ears.

I sometimes hang them off the front of my t-shirt, like at the grocery store.
I have to do that with mine too. I did have an RX [distance wear] pair of sunglasses that did fit easily on my head when inside.

Last edited by cat1116; 10-17-2018 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: [distance]

Old 10-17-2018, 09:08 PM

10,771 posts, read 6,023,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I wear sunglasses on my head because if I put them other places, I often lose them or sit on them. With sunglasses, it might be one second that you need them and another that you donít need them. I am not sure where else it makes sense to put them except on the top of your head. It is the same with readers. If you are at a desk and need them for something but then need to talk to someone far away, usually readers are cheap enough that if they fall/break, it doesnít really matter that much anyway.
I made the mistake one time of setting them (my ole fave RX sunglasses) down on the bar along with the car keys, and some guy picked them up and almost took them with him. I stopped him before he got too far from the bar area.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:40 AM

15,025 posts, read 12,088,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Years ago, I read that perching your glasses atop your head was "out", so I stopped doing it, but never found a good alternative. Eventually, I realized that it had probably gone in and out of style several times since I read that, AND I don't really care about what's in. So my readers perch most of the time. I have a cord on my sunglasses, so I can be a double geek. Or twice as cool, depending on current fashion.
you be as double geek as you like I still think its cool hahaa.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 AM

15,025 posts, read 12,088,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OH no hahaha your wrong SS... I ve had to wear the horrors all my life from way back in the early 50s.. they were thick lenses that hurt my nose all the time as it was glass lenses and heavy.. I hated wearing them all my entire life and still wont wear them outside even at age 71 as Im so stigmatized by being called specky etc .. or mocked by friends.. I hated it ... if I could wish for anything different in my life it would be to have perfect eyesight... OK I need the things, and their prettier now , the best things I possess are prescription sunglasses , they look cool to me after years of thick lenses and no one knows their real glasses.... they give me confidence outside in the street I would never have had with glasses... I understand what your saying Scooby and your right but you can also see others points of view haha so to speak..

Old 10-18-2018, 03:47 AM

498 posts, read 95,948 times
I never thought that putting glasses on top of your head was a fashion statement, just a practicality.

I’ve always put my sunglasses on top of my head so that I could find them again. I spent most of my life living in the land of bright sunshine, so sunglasses were a necessity.

I still shove them up on my head. I have really long hair, so the sunglasses make a handy headband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty