U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 PM

1,756 posts, read 632,237 times

Advertisements

Oh, I misunderstood.... glasses over the head...

Yes, yes, I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 08:42 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,498,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Reading glasses, no, but I like to hold my hair back with my sunglasses, and I like how it looks.
Me too- all the time. But I only that with my regular glasses if they don't have nosepieces. Otherwise they get tangled in my hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's a logical place to keep them, if you need to use them off and on. I do that sometimes, although I think it eventually damages the sides, since the head is wider than the width of the face over the ears.

I sometimes hang them off the front of my t-shirt, like at the grocery store.
I hang my glasses on my shirt a lot for that reason (and also when they'd get tangled in my hair).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Not dorky.

What is dorky is wearing them on the back of your head like this.
That *would* prevent the issue of damaging the sides of the glasses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
These work for me because I can wear my glasses while my sunglasses go on top of my head when I'm shopping. Admittedly I buy the most attractive ones I can find and I have them in various sizes to accommodate a change in the frame size of my eyeglasses.

Yes, I am a dork and have lived long enough to qualify for that.

Fit over Sunglasses

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/fit-over-sunglasses

https://www.amazon.com/sunglasses-fi...over%20glasses
You're far better than me- I just buy regular, cheap sunglasses off the Walmart rack and make sure they are big enough to wear over my regular glasses. Looks dorky, I wouldn't do it in public a lot, but I do it for driving in the sun. I lived for many years in a very sunny place, and I used transition lenses and wore caps with brims instead. Now I live in a less sunny place, so I only wear the sunglasses over while driving.

I don't think there's anything inherently dorky in wearing unused glasses on your head. If there is, though, I really don't care

Old 03-09-2019, 08:57 PM

13,104 posts, read 15,552,937 times
I only wear my reading glasses when I'm reading. Otherwise they are on top of my head if I go somewhere; that way I have them if I need them.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:21 PM

11,278 posts, read 6,286,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Some people don't like wearing them on top of their head because it messes up their hair. Maybe if you have straight hair that is fine and flat it's okay but it you have curly full hair or an elaborate hairdo then you start seeing people wear them on their chin (REALLY weird!) or tuck them into the neckline of their shirt, etc.
Had a pair of RX Drivers that I was able to wear at times on my head but they got misplaced/lost The current ones won't stay up like that so when I take them off for a bit, only place is tuck in neckline of shirt.

I've only seen a couple of folks that had their glasses slip down to their chin and they wore it like that for an extended period of time.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 PM

11,278 posts, read 6,286,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I've seen my friend wear glasses on the back of her head.
Mom always gave us the idea that she had eyes in the back of her head. So, if she needed glasses, seems like that would be the most likely place to put them . I'm picturing Cousin Itt from The Adam's Family right about now.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:05 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,326,199 times
I don't think it looks dorky so much as it looks practical

I work in a factory location (division HR manager) and frequently move from office to shop floor so for simplicity's sake I store my safety glasses on my head and just pull them down when I step out of my office which leads onto the factory floor. That way I don't forget them and set the bad example, ha ha.

I do the same thing with sunglasses when entering a store since I would look pretty funny walking around with them on in the store and where else am I supposed to put them? In my pocket?

Ditto with glasses at home since I only need them for reading and when I get up I put them on my head if I am going to need them for reading directions on something I am going to cook or in another area of the house other than where I read/use the computer.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:00 PM

17,086 posts, read 10,022,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Spice View Post
So, I still remember the 80s. Everyone used to wear their glasses not so much on their eyes, but on top of their head...

Lately, I've been told that's a definite no-no these days, and looks dorky. Especially since it just gets oils from your hair (no matter how well washed) into the lenses.

That said, I have to make many trips into the back-room at work (the stocking room), and it is a requirement to wear safety glasses there. It's ok, they give us these fancy ones that you can not even tell at a glance if they are dorky safety glasses or not.

However, I do not store them in my apron when I walk out on the floor again, because they will get scratched up too easily that way. So instead I hold/wear them on the top of my head.

Curious, when you see someone wear glasses that way, does it REALLY look dorky, or am I just paranoid from what other's have been saying on the issue?

Thanks in advance. And BTW, I'll still wear them on my head at work regardless of the results, it's just a curiosity thing...
I guess Iím a dork because my reading glasses spend as much time on top of my head as they do on my face. Of course thereís also the additional factor of being a middle-aged women, which I think we can all agree is not fashionable in a culture that venerates youth.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:31 PM

22,538 posts, read 14,800,936 times
I put mine on the top of my head all the time. I read and do computer work without my glasses, so they are often on top of my head. You know what, I don't care if they are dorky or not.

Do what is convenient for you.

I wash my glasses almost every morning with a dab of hand soap under running tap water. Keeps them pristine.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 AM

7,165 posts, read 2,587,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Spice View Post
So, I still remember the 80s. Everyone used to wear their glasses not so much on their eyes, but on top of their head...

Lately, I've been told that's a definite no-no these days, and looks dorky. Especially since it just gets oils from your hair (no matter how well washed) into the lenses.

That said, I have to make many trips into the back-room at work (the stocking room), and it is a requirement to wear safety glasses there. It's ok, they give us these fancy ones that you can not even tell at a glance if they are dorky safety glasses or not.

However, I do not store them in my apron when I walk out on the floor again, because they will get scratched up too easily that way. So instead I hold/wear them on the top of my head.

Curious, when you see someone wear glasses that way, does it REALLY look dorky, or am I just paranoid from what other's have been saying on the issue?

Thanks in advance. And BTW, I'll still wear them on my head at work regardless of the results, it's just a curiosity thing...

I would bet that primarily, the people who wear their glasses on top of their heads don't care if they look dorky or not. I'm one of them.

I am at an age where I can't see close up very well with my glasses on, so if I'm reading or doing close up work, the glasses go on top of my head. Really...that's the safest place for them, until I'm ready to use them to see again.

Now...if I were youngish, and I saw someone with glasses on their head, I would think to myself "That's an older person. I will never do that." But here I am, an older person, and I don't really care what that younger person thinks. LOL

Old 03-11-2019, 07:50 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,409,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I would bet that primarily, the people who wear their glasses on top of their heads don't care if they look dorky or not. I'm one of them.

I am at an age where I can't see close up very well with my glasses on, so if I'm reading or doing close up work, the glasses go on top of my head. Really...that's the safest place for them, until I'm ready to use them to see again.

Now...if I were youngish, and I saw someone with glasses on their head, I would think to myself "That's an older person. I will never do that." But here I am, an older person, and I don't really care what that younger person thinks. LOL
Yes. When I was a child, older women wore glasses on little cords around their necks. If you wanted to dress up as someone old, you'd put glasses on a sparkly little cord that hung around your neck.

Now, I guess, if you want to look dorky you put them up on your head.

It's the concept of needing glasses very close at hand, but not on your eyes typically, that marks you as old.

Young people who need glasses just wear them on their eyes. Old people typically need reading glasses, but you can't function with them on your eyes while you're up and moving around or even if you're talking to someone - makes your vision too blurry. Certainly, putting a pair of glasses down your nose and looking over them to converse with someone is mimicked by young people.

And funny, wearing sunglasses on your eyes, or even on a rubber cord around your neck with a flotation device if you're boating, is very fashionable and youthful.

It's just that reading glasses, however you wear them, age your appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty