Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:17 AM

914 posts, read 638,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I used to travel frequently to Europe and then I lived in Germany for a couple of years. I agree that the stylists there are far superior to the average stylist here in the U.S. I found this to be true at all salons, even the corner salon near my flat. When I had my hair done in Germany it cost less, and the amount of tip expected was very little. All good.

The only thing I didn't like was the washbasins in the salons. They wheel them around to your chair and you bend forward and may get water in your face, as I did.
I like the idea of bending forward for the shampoo process. Never understood why we risk injury to our necks here in the US by having to bend un-naturally backward.

I agree, European stylist are better because they have standards and take pride in their work. Here in CA, this is the exception rather than the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 04:48 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
Haircut styles vary all over, and within, EU member states, not to mention cities, but generally speaking I see some pretty big differences between men's haircut styles in the South and North.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:55 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I used to travel frequently to Europe and then I lived in Germany for a couple of years. I agree that the stylists there are far superior to the average stylist here in the U.S. I found this to be true at all salons, even the corner salon near my flat. When I had my hair done in Germany it cost less, and the amount of tip expected was very little. All good.

The only thing I didn't like was the washbasins in the salons. They wheel them around to your chair and you bend forward and may get water in your face, as I did.
Ahhh! Someone with actual experience weighs in! Not just people who want to argue without even knowing. Because....patriotism? Bravo! Defend the US against the world! We are superior. (Not sarcasm)
It's our cosmotologists who need improvement.
OP yes. For sure. But we're Wal-Mart people who don't find it necessary to make the polite effort at grooming before leaving the house. Sweat pants are cool. (sarcasm)

Old 10-20-2018, 07:23 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
But we're Wal-Mart people who don't find it necessary to make the polite effort at grooming before leaving the house. Sweat pants are cool. (sarcasm)
Speak for yourself.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Speak for yourself.
Or check the web site.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:50 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Or check the web site.
People of Walmart? They're definitely anomalies, or there wouldn't be need for a website. LOL!

Old 10-20-2018, 09:42 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
I lived in Europe (Germany) for three years and have experience with both the US and Germany when it comes to hair salons.

I have a terrific hair stylist who is an artist - right here in the US. I literally have to carry her cards around with me to give out to people who ask who does my hair. People have stopped me and asked if they could take photos of my hair style to show their stylists what they want. I don't' pay any more or less basically than I paid in Germany, though I do tip her very well - because she deserves it.

There are great, and terrible, and everywhere in between, hair stylists and salons in both the US and throughout Europe. It cracks me up that people would judge vast swaths of land, not to mention various cities, countries, etc. via one visit to one hair stylist at one salon - anywhere.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I like the idea of bending forward for the shampoo process. Never understood why we risk injury to our necks here in the US by having to bend un-naturally backward.
Well, you see, Europeans are so refined in their bending directions. You don't just bend any which way like crude Americans.

Quote:
Ahhh! Someone with actual experience weighs in! Not just people who want to argue without even knowing. Because....patriotism? Bravo! Defend the US against the world! We are superior. (Not sarcasm)
It's our cosmotologists who need improvement.
OP yes. For sure. But we're Wal-Mart people who don't find it necessary to make the polite effort at grooming before leaving the house. Sweat pants are cool. (sarcasm)
I have gotten my haircut dozens of times in Norway, England, and Scotland. A good haircut is a good haircut, but this idea that somehow every haircut in Europe is a work of art while Americans are taking a lawnmower to your head is utter nonsense.

You only have to look around to see Europeans and Americans (and Canadians and Australians, etc.) all have pretty much the same haircuts of the same quality. If it takes your barber 20 minutes to cut around your ears, he is being paid by the hour.

Some of the sycophancy in this thread reminds me of this Onion article.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:45 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,562,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindatw View Post
No. I mean a precision cut that makes a man look like a gentleman, not a tough guy!

You see, in Europe they cut men's hair very, very short HOWEVER it is cut in a way that makes it look very different than the "crew cuts" in the US. I saw a barber in Europe pain stakingly cutting a man's hair who had very little hair left. The end result was not just a short cut but the look of an elegant gentleman. I don't know exactly how they do it but they do. They also take great pride in their work, something in the US is not held to such a standard.
I'll take looking like a "tough guy" anytime, over looking like a "gentleman". Even if anyone did make the mistake of thinking I looked like a gentleman, they would change that opinion shortly after meeting me.

But since my mid-twenties, my expenditure for haircuts has been zero. I do it myself and I get it just the way I want it. Although one longtime girlfriend insisted that she would cut my hair. She also trimmed her Irish setter, instead of taking it to a dog parlor (yes, she washed the scissors in between doing the two of us). I was willing to concede that bit of dominance to her, as she also did my laundry so well.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:54 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindatw View Post
Really, the stylist I had in Europe took about 20 minutes just to cut around my ears! It was all done very precisely and with great care. I have never seen such diligence and attention to detail in the US. I'm not saying the US is bad; it's just that there is no culture of complete thoroughness like there is in Europe.
OP, crewcuts are currently done in the US because someone decided they're popular. Somehow, buzz-cuts and shaved heads also became popular. Go figure. Fashion in the US and in Europe diverge widely, in some respects.

Also, many barbers and women's hairdressers only learn a few basic techniques in school; they're very limited. You have to seek out a completely different level of service provider, in order to get beyond the basics, in the US. How much did your elegant coif cost you, in Europe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty