U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:33 PM

4,690 posts, read 7,241,413 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, am I correct to assume that men are more likely to prefer lighter shades of pink clothing while women are more likely to prefer brighter shades? It seems that most pink menswear are lighter shades except a few T-shirts and golfwear. While all shades of pink are common among womenswear, I see a lot of bright and hot pinks in womenswear.

I know millennial pink is a trend for both genders, but in both menswear and womenswear I see a lot of blue based shades of light pink as well (I'm pretty sure everyone remembers my favorite shade of pink), especially in preppy brands. Bright and hot pinks are a lot less common in menswear though. Is bright pink considered too feminine?

So, do women generally prefer brighter pinks, while men generally prefer lighter pinks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:20 AM

26,912 posts, read 28,260,950 times
Hmm. I think most people who like pink for both genders like the lighter shades. But people who like darker and brighter pinks are likely female.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM

19,004 posts, read 12,587,558 times
I prefer either a lighter pink, or a bright pinky coral, if I have to wear pink.

However—earlier this summer I impulsively bought a bright pink sweatshirt at the airport. I’d say it was a Pepto Bismol pink, except it is brighter. It is a very bright bluey pink, which is not my color preference at all.

It just goes to show that sometimes sometimes I don't follow my own rules.

It is very cozy. I like it.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:11 PM

5,123 posts, read 12,764,258 times
I know several men who wouldn't wear ANY shade of pink under any circumstances....

Old 10-28-2018, 09:35 PM

3,192 posts, read 3,373,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I know several men who wouldn't wear ANY shade of pink under any circumstances....

Why? I'm a man and I love pink. It's one of my favourite colours - in clothing and especially in desserts. There's something about pink buttercream that almost turns me on.

To answer your question, OP, I like pastel pink the best. Light or dark doesn't matter.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:26 PM

62 posts, read 27,752 times
Quote:
“... a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw’s Infants’ Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...-pink-1370097/

A long time ago, I recall reading somewhere that Pink was considered one of the most masculine colors in many societies and cultures due to it’s often fiery and strong hue - in the ROYGBIV spectrum it is to the right of Blue. I believe that many marching armies included Pink in their uniforms and banners because it was so strong and could be seen from afar.

What is not in doubt is that Pink was the boys color while Blue was the girls color in America until technological and marketing developments flipped the script by the middle of the 20th Century. In the fashion war between Men and Women, the females stole Pink from the Men just like they stole the clam digger pants from men and renamed them Capris - this for me is the bigger crime because I love clam diggers!

On a personal level, I have liked to wear Pink - a lighter and softer shade of it - on my golf shirts...a la Arnold Palmer. My favorite golf shirts right now are similar shades of Pink from Vineyard Vines (polyester mix) and Munsingwear (cotton).

Part of me likes the color Pink on the golf course because it’s a great color in that environment. A larger part of me has enough confidence in myself and my hetero sexuality to wear Pink like a Boss because only a weak minded dude would judge another man solely on him wearing Pink.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:04 AM

10,207 posts, read 16,780,008 times
I only like to wear fuschia or hot pink because pale pinks wash me out.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:04 AM

17,668 posts, read 21,854,585 times
Quote:
I'm so glad that I don't know any men like that.

I like pink a lot. I prefer creamy, pale pink, salmon, blush, and golden rose.

Dusty pink and hot pink are both stuck in the 80s for me, along with Molly Ringwold's pieced together prom gown, in "Pretty in Pink". While I love the movie, I thought she should have left the dress given to her by Annie Potts or her father, played by the late Harry Dean Stanton, in one piece. Both were classic ball gowns.

My bridesmaid's gowns were "dusty pink". It was the 80s. I don't know what I was thinking.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:09 PM

8,451 posts, read 5,888,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Why? I'm a man and I love pink. It's one of my favourite colours - in clothing and especially in desserts. There's something about pink buttercream that almost turns me on.

To answer your question, OP, I like pastel pink the best. Light or dark doesn't matter.
I like pink, too, and I'm also a guy. Have to find though the right shade for my complexion.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:55 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,204,908 times
I like pink well enough to wear pale pink Oxford cloth shirts. I look good in pink (and maroon). I get compliments when I wear one of my pink shirts.

OP, I don't know what you mean by "blue based shades of light pink."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or