Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM

4,165 posts, read 6,853,115 times

Advertisements

i dont mind if a girl never wears nail polish or acrylics etc. But I do actually really like what my SO does with her nails and she often gets my input as well.

i couldnt care less about polish on toe nails however. as long as they are kept clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:01 AM

11,011 posts, read 6,554,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I don't wear it for a number of reasons.

For one thing it isn't healthy. Nail polish is full of bad chemicals that enter your blood stream through the nail and travel directly to your liver. Then, the bad chemicals sit in your liver for the rest of your life. To their credit, a few of the companies that make nail polish have started to clean up their act a bit, giving folks not quite as bad of chemicals to lay on their nails to get into their blood stream and eventually come to rest in their liver.

It also isn't healthy for the nail itself. Many women have completely ruined nice smooth nails with gel manicures, as well as gotten fungal infections from acrylic/false nails .

Nail polish chips, and for some reason, especially the reds. If you cook without food service gloves, you cant help but eat some chips and even feed them to your family.

Ive heard vets complain that the darker polishes remind them of dead people.

My husband preferred short nails, unpolished. Maybe a lot of women wear polish for themselves or each other.
Totally agree. I've never worn polish or gotten a manicure/pedicure. No shortage of guys.

Liver problems? I know I made the right decision then. My liver has enough to do as it is!

Nothing looks worse than chipped, peeling polish too. Ugh. Monumental waste of time and money to me. But to each her own!

Note: when I took a 6-day Colorado river raft trip, the guides (guys) all wore blue nail polish and sarongs. I guess that is a "thing" for river guides, LOL.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:17 AM

the liver problems are a little overblown and even still apply more to direct-apply than acrylics. The largest health issue with nail shops is for the life-long workers, not for the customers.

Regarding chipping and cooking etc. My SO dances, teaches dance, cooks, lifts weights, works back of house at retailer and very rarely has anything chip before it's time for her to get them re-done. You'll ingest thousands about thousands more carcinogenic chemicals simply commuting to work each day than you will eating a stray nail chip now and then that your body will pass in 24 hours.

If anything, now and then one of her acrylics will break as a result of dancing or gym work and she'll just remove all of them until her next visit. If you're paying for good quality nail work and they are chipping early all the time, their work probably just isnt that good..

But all that being said, nails are certainly only ever a 'want' or a 'nice to have' and certainly arent a need to have. If a potential SO ever made a big deal about you not having your nails done all the time, they're being a little too superficial.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:29 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,905,241 times
It's not a big deal for me either way, but I do notice fingernail AND toenail polish on women. Reds, pinks, blues, purples and clear give me a positive impression; all other colors a mildly negative impression.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:08 PM

6,462 posts, read 8,137,247 times
No, I do not like it, especially toenail polish. Yuck!

Old 11-01-2018, 02:21 PM

10,030 posts, read 17,953,561 times
Um, OP is already "not a member" as he/she was a one-and-done poster who has been banned. So you are talking amongst yourselves.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:49 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,208,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, OP is already "not a member" as he/she was a one-and-done poster who has been banned. So you are talking amongst yourselves.
Yep... I already posted it was a robo post...no one cares lol

Old 11-01-2018, 03:45 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,063,068 times
Its still a decent topic.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yep... I already posted it was a robo post...no one cares lol
Honestly usually it doesn't matter whether the OP was genuine or a bot unless the topic is pure spam advertisement. In a case like this, a legit question was asked and the OP isnt needed for discussion. The majority of discussion in the threads here is not poster to OP only. Most of it spreads out to discussions between non OPs.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:27 PM

10,295 posts, read 10,539,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I couldn't care less, and get annoyed when a woman asks me what she thinks of this or that color nail polish.
For me it is more of a negative. I also get annoyed if a woman asks me about her nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty