Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 02:42 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Your clothes sound perfectly fine to me - and not that dissimilar to how I dress in my 50s. Not to say that I think you do or should look like you are in your 50s, just that I think what you are wearing are grown up clothes, and fine for adults of all ages.

One potential concession to your grandmother you might consider would be to add something like a scarf - those are age appropriate for you but might add that little touch that Grandma would love?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QOHMOG...ding=UTF8&th=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Frankly you sound like a lot of 30 somethings in New England I know. They do occasionally dress up and like summer type dresses and flats but very few wear heels thank god. For dinners and the like in the winter you might choose a nice sweater instead of a long sleeved shirt. Scarfs are also the thing it seems though not all can pull them off. You might choose fancier flip flops and a nice ankle boot for when you go out to dinner.

This look is adorable for a 30 something http://www.instylebeads.com/wp-conte...image013-9.jpg if you are thin.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 PM

6,865 posts, read 4,860,189 times
Wear what you feel comfortable in. What you described sounds like it would be fine most of the time. I see plenty of women much younger than you in all sorts of dresses and skirts. Some frilly, some not. You sound a bit in a rut as far as variety and experimenting with different styles, but if that's the biggest issue between you and your grandma..... you should both consider yourself lucky. Hey - for her birthday maybe you could find an old prom dress to wear. ;-)

Old 11-05-2018, 03:24 PM

6,865 posts, read 4,860,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Your clothes sound perfectly fine to me - and not that dissimilar to how I dress in my 50s. Not to say that I think you do or should look like you are in your 50s, just that I think what you are wearing are grown up clothes, and fine for adults of all ages.

One potential concession to your grandmother you might consider would be to add something like a scarf - those are age appropriate for you but might add that little touch that Grandma would love?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QOHMOG...ding=UTF8&th=1
You are right... It's a look I see all ages wearing from grade schoolers to 80+. Take off the UGGs and replace with athletic shoes and it sounds about what my late Mother usually wore and she was well into her 90s.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Oh my gosh, txtqueen is on the brink of her thirties? I suddenly feel very old.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
I think what you wear now is fine. 30-year-olds today dress and look much different than they did in 60s or 70s. When I watch old shows and movies, I always think of how old people used to look back then.. a lot of 30 something year olds back then could pass for their 50s! It must have had at least something to do with their clothes and hairstyles.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:17 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
i would say: "O.K., as long as YOU dress older as well. here's some Depends to try on."

Old 11-05-2018, 04:23 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
First, instead of imagining what your grandmother thinks, why don't you ask her?

Personally, I think that at 30, you should be able to dress as an adult. Not in your leisure time, but at work, at least. Not jeans, not tanks. You're getting a little too old for "cute." It's possibly that although your grandmother's taste may be feminine, maybe all she wants is for you to look like an adult.

That doesn't mean looking matronly. But, yes, a little more tailored, a little better quality, a little more formal.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
You are supposed to wear what you want to and what is appropriate. Your grandmother has a dated idea about appropriateness. Just do you.

Let grandma have her way about some things, but not how you dress.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:21 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
My late grandmother was born in 1917, and in HER day, women "of a certain age" (literally meaning over 18) weren't supposed to wear their hair down - or WILD, as she would say. My sister and I have crazy naturally curly hair, too, which we both were keeping long by high school. Every single time we saw her, grandma would nag us about putting our hair up in a "nice, neat bun." Oh, and "what's wrong with a bit of lipstick??" Eventually we just gave up arguing, and would do the bun and lipstick on the way to her home. She lived across the country for most of our lives, so thankfully it wasn't a regular thing.

Anyway, my point is that different generations have their own standards for dress. Sometimes it's not worth arguing with them, especially if it's someone you don't see regularly... but hair and lipstick is easier than full-on clothing, so I guess you'll just have to ignore her? Dunno, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty